spine injuries

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i just got some xrays today of my lower back, because since two fridays ago after a deadlift day i have had this pain. it doesnt feel like a muscle pull because i have full range of motion, but more of a bone pain. has anyone felt this kind of pain, and if so was it a compressed/bulge in the disk, or what??? this has really put me in a depressed mood because im 25lbs shy of a 500deadlift and 35lbs from a 450 squat which i had planed on making by end of june.:sad::sad::sad:

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is the pain constant? Did it happen at a certain point in the lift or did it just start hurting after the workout?

I've got some slight disk compression and misalignment in my lower back that will give me a sharp pain if I overextend my back, especially with weight in my hands, but it doesn't hurt all the time.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
it doesnt hurt all the time, just when i bend over. like when doing a good morning movement....it didnt hurt at the time of the lift, but the next day. how has it affected your strength?? i haver laid of any back movements for a week and a half. will start working out again monday and i hope i can still preform at my best. it sucks to finally get those heavy weights and have an injury fck things up

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Mine are just slightly compressed but it hasn't affected my strength at all, just made me focus even more on not compromising my back by overextending it. I've been going to chiro/ART and it's been helping but I'm not so sure our problems are the same. Mine doesn't bother me when bending over forward, but just the opposite. I'd just take it easy for now, but let us know what the x-rays say when you get them back.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it doesnt hurt all the time, just when i bend over. like when doing a good morning movement....it didnt hurt at the time of the lift, but the next day. how has it affected your strength?? i haver laid of any back movements for a week and a half. will start working out again monday and i hope i can still preform at my best. it sucks to finally get those heavy weights and have an injury fck things up
I just went through the exact same thing. Dont do what I did, and jump back into it to quick. It will only delay the healing, and subsequently return to the heavy weights. But I got better.

Adams

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well im going to continue traing west side, but will limit my lower body training to leg ext/curl, hack squat, some power jumps and alot more ab work than ive been doing. i leave for the beach in two weeks so maybe when i get back ill be all healed up. would taking powerful during this time help my recovery or should i just take low dose ibprofen????

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A NSAID could slow the healing process.... Lower the weight, and thrown some icy hot on it before a workout. Will keep the inflammation carrying blood to the hurt area, while easiing the pain.

Adams

sik_phreak

sik_phreak

Awards
Bro beware,

I was an olympic lifter that didnt listen to my body.
I now can no longer Squat or DL.
After years of ignoring minor issues i was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, facet syndrome and L4-L5 degeneration (level 1).

Decompression exercises, decompression thereapy, core work and piriformis stretches starting now will save u some grief....

GLuck

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hey, could you point me to a place that shows me how to do decompression exercises. also would a chiropractor be able to do decompression therapy?

sik_phreak

sik_phreak

Awards
hey, could you point me to a place that shows me how to do decompression exercises. also would a chiropractor be able to do decompression therapy?

I will pm u a ton of stuff to do on ur own that i know works not just someone saying it might..So many will know whats good for u but have never overcome it themselves, big difference.

On the Chiro issue just check ur local listings.
Ask if they use a decompression table.
Personal exp. I found that the docs who use the crazy expensive tables charge above what insurance covers..
Also make sure ur Chiro does a fully holistic approach..

should be Tens, decompression, streching and regular massage. My chiro included all these. Additionally u might want to see if they do trigger point massage once ur out of the acute (intial pain) stage..

I will PM u tonight...

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks sik, after taking a 1.5wks off i hit the gym again today. heres what i did: all included warmups

dynamic box squats: 165x2 10x
power jumps: 3x5
zecher squat: 185x5 3x
cable rows: 180x12, 190x10, 200x6
3 ab variations
forgot to do the pullthroughs, but thos will start being a staple to my routine.

back felt really strong today, but ill still be taking it easy for the next 3wks. will only do dynamic effort for lower body, and the regular westside routine for upper body. and in two weeks get a week vacation in south padre.

The Paper Route

The Paper Route

Awards
I think i have the same problem as you i got the pain after i dead lifted. My back only hurts in the morning a sharp pain middle lower back. As soon as i get moving i rarely have pain.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well i just got my results back today and am very frustrated. the doc told me i have the beginings of arthritus in my lower back. he said there is nothing i can do, and it will only get worse as i age. i plan on getting a copy of the xrays and getting a second opinion. does this mean the end of my powerlifting dreams??? or is this something everyone has a touch of and i just have to make sure to use correct form and keep my posterior chain stronge??? also what supps would you recommend to slow the progression?? help me out..........

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
would doing a massive cycle of super cissus every 6mths or so maybe keep the arthritus from progressing any further???

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
doc called again today to re-explain what he bluntly told me yesterday. he said i have very minor arthritus and nothing major. wish he could have said that yesterday.

heavies

heavies

Awards
  • Established
I will pm u a ton of stuff to do on ur own that i know works not just someone saying it might..So many will know whats good for u but have never overcome it themselves, big difference.
I will PM u tonight...
Hey Bro. if you can post to the board I would like to look at that as well, if its not too much work.

it doesnt hurt all the time, just when i bend over. like when doing a good morning movement
I was working up heavy squat triples yesterday (ME day), and got 515 doubled it, and then immediately went into moderate partial deads, around 225, nothing heavy. Great workout no pain, later when going to work I noticed a twing in my back, that only smarts when I move my head down, I feel the pull in low to mid back. I have been dealing with a tight back for a few weeks but making good gains. Is this the same type deal? I won't bigger faster stronger, w/o the degenerative disk problems...

well im going to continue traing west side, but will limit my lower body training to leg ext/curl, hack squat, some power jumps and alot more ab work than ive been doing.
thats a good idea, I think that will be my plan, I am going to search for those decomp. exercises.

the heavy weights are to be respected for sure...

BullMuscle

BullMuscle

Awards
Heaviest....

Do core powerlifting strength excersises....

Get you abs thick and strong. Get you lowe back thick and strong. "Fortify and Protect you spine with muscle" a friend once told me and it works.

Let me know

Joe

:thumbsup: