Bench Press over 400lbs?

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently up to 365lbs and was wondering how many of you guys are pushing 400 and up. Also those who are do you have any tips on certain lifts besides bench to dramatically increase bench? I've got a good amount of experience but also a 77 inch reach which makes bench a little tougher for me.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
420 and i found the more I worked back the better my bench came up. I also found that after 385ish, my body didn't tolerate breaks in training too well.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
420 and i found the more I worked back the better my bench came up. I also found that after 385ish, my body didn't tolerate breaks in training too well.

Nice, any special back lift in particular? Also what does your ordinary bench routine look like as far as weight, sets, and reps?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Westside basics will definitely help you get up there, using chains and bands will really train you to use more force and will bring your numbers up. Rows and pulldowns are good lifts for your back because it increases strength in your stabilizing muscles and helps give you a strong stretch reflex off of your chest. Other things to really work with are your triceps and delts. Lifts such as dips, military press, floor press, etc will all carryover into your bench. Just keep at it and you will get up there, I have been around 405 for a while now and I am hoping to hit 415 in the next couple weeks.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Focus on your weaknesses and your bench will come up. As pmiller suggests, you need to keep developing the foundation. Heavy lat and tri work will be beneficial. I'd look into board presses too.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't really focus on anything other than how I felt. Always did three full working 6-8 rep sets and took a about a 3-5 minute break and came back with 1-3 rep sets for two sets of a weight I could work with... First set was to determine that.

Unfortunately no real method as i was more focused on making sure I didn't blow something out in the process. So I would just work with weights and sets that felt 'good'.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
Didn't really focus on anything other than how I felt. Always did three full working 6-8 rep sets and took a about a 3-5 minute break and came back with 1-3 rep sets for two sets of a weight I could work with... First set was to determine that.

Unfortunately no real method as i was more focused on making sure I didn't blow something out in the process. So I would just work with weights and sets that felt 'good'.

Im on the same page, I pretty much do lifts that feel right in order to keep from blowing a shoulder. Also my flat bench workout is exactly like yours. 295x7 295x6 315x4 325x3

Lene28

Awards
Pmiller is right go Westside! Heavy Lats and Tris, rotate board presses, floor presses, bands, and chains. My best bench is 425 @ 195 and i'm 22.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Train your RC's... you'll see a solid improvement in bench in a relatively short time.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hit 425 about 10 years ago, the only thing that allowed me to keep improving was close grip benching. THe more weight I did there the better my bench was.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I hung around 400 for years as i was lifting in a shirt that time. I started to lift for my raw for a few months and put about 20 or 30 lbs on it with a comp pause. I can tell you westside did not work at all. the best thing i did for it was a program i got from a Canadian national thrower. it was basically you start low and do 8 singles that either have to stay at the same weight or increase so my first workout was this 345, 345, 345, 345, 350, 350, 350, 350. Then next week you have to start where you left off, so it was 350. After your 8 singles you do 5x5 at 80% of your last rep. I did these touch and go and the singles paused. I am 6'3 with long arms. My problem is i keep tweaking my pec at the bottom. I was lifting flat footed, but am going back to arching with tucked feet to see if i can take some strain of my pec.

I did that workout for 8 weeks or so and it worked well, i think my last workout i hit 8 singles at 385, 390, 390, 395, 395, 400, 405, 410 and they were all pretty good. thery were all paused.

Accessory work that always helped was pin presses of a few inches off my chest bottom up for sets of 5-8.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
#1 rule for heavy benching : don't tear your pec

like this guy
<----------

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
damn, just did some backtracking and saw that you tore yours too. how bad brutha?

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
damn, just did some backtracking and saw that you tore yours too. how bad brutha?
pec minor completely ruptured! Have torn both pecs a few times in the past. Making a comeback though, almost back to 100%!

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
does your pectoral muscle look differently after a major tear like that? i would think it would change the shape somewhat.
this is one injury i never want to have.
you 400lb benchers are way stronger than me though!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
mine looks slightly different but it's moving back slowly to where it used to be. only took me the first 8 times to realize i'm not a bencher, lol.

let's examine the pattern, shall we?
first (tear) - 505
second (tear) - 465
third (pull) - 425
fourth (pull) - 405
fifth (pull) - 365
sixth (pull) - 170's (flat dumbbell)
seventh (pull) - 285
eighth (tear) - 385 (flat smith)

the last one throws off the pattern but since it's smith we can't really use it too much.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Jesus Beez i didn't know you had such good luck on the bench. Don't go hurting that new sexy body of yours, lol.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I hung around 400 for years as i was lifting in a shirt that time. I started to lift for my raw for a few months and put about 20 or 30 lbs on it with a comp pause. I can tell you westside did not work at all. the best thing i did for it was a program i got from a Canadian national thrower. it was basically you start low and do 8 singles that either have to stay at the same weight or increase so my first workout was this 345, 345, 345, 345, 350, 350, 350, 350. Then next week you have to start where you left off, so it was 350. After your 8 singles you do 5x5 at 80% of your last rep. I did these touch and go and the singles paused. I am 6'3 with long arms. My problem is i keep tweaking my pec at the bottom. I was lifting flat footed, but am going back to arching with tucked feet to see if i can take some strain of my pec.

I did that workout for 8 weeks or so and it worked well, i think my last workout i hit 8 singles at 385, 390, 390, 395, 395, 400, 405, 410 and they were all pretty good. thery were all paused.

Accessory work that always helped was pin presses of a few inches off my chest bottom up for sets of 5-8.

First off, thanks to all you guys for your input! I am always looking for more information in this game and I love it. This routine looks pretty good. So how much time between each rep? 2 min?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
First off, thanks to all you guys for your input! I am always looking for more information in this game and I love it. This routine looks pretty good. So how much time between each rep? 2 min?
about, maybe less. The guy i did it with liked it as well, i think he hit 335 in comp at 165 raw after doing it and not benching for a year. He did a few weeks of warmup training before it.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
425 @ 230lbs here. That was 2 weeks ago and my forearm splints have started again BAD! Every time I break 400 my forearms go to sh1t.

Harley

Awards
I'm 41 and bench around 425 raw and around 650 with a bench shirt. Don't do as much raw anymore because of bad shoulders.

Heavy board straight grip (shoulder width) bench lockouts and paused benches with moderately heavy weights. Also reverse band presses and floor presses have helped me.

3PeteNC

3PeteNC

Awards
I'm 41 and bench around 425 raw and around 650 with a bench shirt. Don't do as much raw anymore because of bad shoulders.

Heavy board straight grip (shoulder width) bench lockouts and paused benches with moderately heavy weights. Also reverse band presses and floor presses have helped me.

shirts help that much?!?!?! damn i never realized that

Harley

Awards
shirts help that much?!?!?! damn i never realized that
Carry-over from a shirt is relative to a lot of things. Some guys get 50-75lbs, some 100 or more, some 200 or more. I know some top shirt benchers who get 300-400+ over their raw bench.

Don't assume that just by throwing on a shirt you're going to add 100 or 200 lbs to your bench. It takes a lot of technique development, and training different kinds of strength (mainly in the lockout) to get a big shirt bench. First time I used one in competition it helped my by about 30lbs.

Also, my raw bench is somewhat lower than it would be if I didn't have the shoulder injuries. The shirt helps neutralize that handicap by restricting and supporting the shoulder joint.

Scott Mendleson has the world record raw bench at 715lbs. The shirted record held by Ryan Kenelly is 1050.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established

Thats impressive! I plan on looking like Paul Teutul when I'm his age so I need to watch the shoulders Ha Ha. Which lifts do you think caused the most damage to your shoulders?

Harley

Awards
Thats impressive! I plan on looking like Paul Teutul when I'm his age so I need to watch the shoulders Ha Ha. Which lifts do you think caused the most damage to your shoulders?
No question in my mind a big part of it was benching. But it was the way I was benching that was the problem, not the exercise itself.

First, years ago I heavily favored bench and other pressing movements and really slacked on the lats, upper back and rear delts. This plays hell with the mechanics of your shoulder (the most unstable joint in your body) and throws them out of balance, causing rotator cuff issues, improper AC and GH articulation, and other things.

Secondly, my form and technique was atrocious. The elbows-out, bar across the upper chest or nipple area places a lot of undue stress on the shoulder joint. People (formerly myself included) do it, at least in part, because they lack development in the areas I mentioned above. The lats, upper back and rear delts provide a proper base and powerful starting strength for the bench press. People who are underdeveloped in these areas tend to bench all front delts, pec and tris. But again over time this shoots the crap out of the shoulders, and makes one more prone to acute injuries as well.

The bench press (raw) should start from a point lower on your torso. Either just below the pecs or at top of the first row of abs. The elbows should not be flared out at 90 degrees at the bottom, but more at a 45 degree angle to your body. Then as you press up about 1/2 way there is a transition point where the elbows should flare out and back a bit to lockout. This is more biomechanically correct. It feels strange at first, but when you learn the technique it actually makes your bench stronger, as well as safer.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
No question in my mind a big part of it was benching. But it was the way I was benching that was the problem, not the exercise itself.

First, years ago I heavily favored bench and other pressing movements and really slacked on the lats, upper back and rear delts. This plays hell with the mechanics of your shoulder (the most unstable joint in your body) and throws them out of balance, causing rotator cuff issues, improper AC and GH articulation, and other things.

Secondly, my form and technique was atrocious. The elbows-out, bar across the upper chest or nipple area places a lot of undue stress on the shoulder joint. People (formerly myself included) do it, at least in part, because they lack development in the areas I mentioned above. The lats, upper back and rear delts provide a proper base and powerful starting strength for the bench press. People who are underdeveloped in these areas tend to bench all front delts, pec and tris. But again over time this shoots the crap out of the shoulders, and makes one more prone to acute injuries as well.

The bench press (raw) should start from a point lower on your abdomen. Either just below the pecs or at top of the first row of abs. The elbows should not be flared out at 90 degrees at the bottom, but more at a 45 degree angle to your body. Then as you press up about 1/2 way there is a transition point where the elbows should flare out and back a bit to lockout. This is more biomechanically correct. It feels strange at first, but when you learn the technique it actually makes your bench stronger, as well as safer.

That makes sense, I normally hit the lower pec with the bar and normally flat bench doesn't bother my shoulders. In the past though I've noticed that incline barbell, and cable crossovers when using too much weight have caused some inflamation so i cut out incline barbell and now do incline dumbell and don't go so deep on crossovers. Alot of times im hesitant to try new lifts because of the worry about tweaking the rotator cuffs.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
IMO I think it comes down to genetics and body structure when it comes to having a big bench. I have a sucky build for pressing, but I'll deadlift a ton.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
True, to some extent. I have a huge benching ROM, but I still manage to do what some of the guys with short limbs and big bellies are pressing. My deadlift max is okay (280kg) but should be more considering the way I'm built. I guess, although genetics does play a part, it really does come down to how you train. The human body can adapt to anything.

3PeteNC

3PeteNC

Awards
Carry-over from a shirt is relative to a lot of things. Some guys get 50-75lbs, some 100 or more, some 200 or more. I know some top shirt benchers who get 300-400+ over their raw bench.

Don't assume that just by throwing on a shirt you're going to add 100 or 200 lbs to your bench. It takes a lot of technique development, and training different kinds of strength (mainly in the lockout) to get a big shirt bench. First time I used one in competition it helped my by about 30lbs.

Also, my raw bench is somewhat lower than it would be if I didn't have the shoulder injuries. The shirt helps neutralize that handicap by restricting and supporting the shoulder joint.

Scott Mendleson has the world record raw bench at 715lbs. The shirted record held by Ryan Kenelly is 1050.

yea i figured as much, but i didn't think u could get over 100 lbs. thats sick, i used to powerlift and i used some crappy shirts and yea it may have helped by 30lbs if that. what can you do to really utilize the shirt?

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what can you do to really utilize the shirt?
Practise! I can get 170lbs out of my shirt. It's almost like a form of security when you're benching. It prevent things being torn (to a degree) and you'll feel safer going heavier.

Harley

Awards
yea i figured as much, but i didn't think u could get over 100 lbs. thats sick, i used to powerlift and i used some crappy shirts and yea it may have helped by 30lbs if that. what can you do to really utilize the shirt?
Cub nailed it... To hit big in a shirt you have to train, train, train in the shirt. It also helps to hook up with a training partner or two who know what they're doing. Westside and Metal Militia put out some good videos on the subject.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
How often do you train heavy, and how many sets?

Every 4 days, 6-8 sets?

Every 7 days, 12-15 sets?

Every 2 days, 3-4 sets?

And do you put light days in between, like 8 sets of 3 for speed?

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established

Well today is my third day on Havoc and my second day of the above mentioned bench routine. Today I hit 325, 325, 325 325, 330, 330, 330, 330 then 5x5 with 265. All reps were controlled and felt good. The 5x5 with 265 feels noticeably lighter than the first day. So far this seems like a pretty good routine.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Well today is my third day on Havoc and my second day of the above mentioned bench routine. Today I hit 325, 325, 325 325, 330, 330, 330, 330 then 5x5 with 265. All reps were controlled and felt good. The 5x5 with 265 feels noticeably lighter than the first day. So far this seems like a pretty good routine.
I am glad you gave it a try. I would run it for 6-8 weeks or so and see how you do. Keep me updated. Also let me know how the havoc helped, i have a bottle of it laying around.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I am glad you gave it a try. I would run it for 6-8 weeks or so and see how you do. Keep me updated. Also let me know how the havoc helped, i have a bottle of it laying around.

Will do man, Thanks for the tip. Ive noticed when I let go of the bar during 5x5 I can really tell that my entire arms are being worked. You definitely have to be a man to do this workout ha ha.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Will do man, Thanks for the tip. Ive noticed when I let go of the bar during 5x5 I can really tell that my entire arms are being worked. You definitely have to be a man to do this workout ha ha.
The first week was real tough, it actually got a little easier as time went on.

Harley

Awards
How often do you train heavy, and how many sets?

Every 4 days, 6-8 sets?

Every 7 days, 12-15 sets?

Every 2 days, 3-4 sets?

And do you put light days in between, like 8 sets of 3 for speed?
I train one heavy bench day per week. I go raw up to high 300's or low 400's then get in my shirt, working boards (2 or lower) or full-range. 3-5 raw warm up sets and 3-5 shirt sets. Shirt work is all 3 reps or fewer. Raw sets are anywhere from 10 to a last double or single before the shirt.

I will usually then hit some assistance work for shoulders and/or triceps. I also do high, heavy board (usually 4 boards) narrow grip lockouts on another day, usually 3 days after heavy bench. I will also hit some other lighter triceps work that day.

Any more work than this and I tend to over train (happens more easily now that I'm in my 40's). I do little if any speed work, since it doesn't seem to help me and it aggravates my shoulder injuries and my elbow joints.

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
MY best raw lift in competition is 529lbs. I will put a vid up of it soon. What seems to help my lifts is doing a heavy day and then a light day and also some really heave skullcrusher and pushdowns and also reverse cable One-arm pulldowns.Some band work too.