deadlift grip

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. The way I dealt with the situation is to switch hand positions. I always do a even number of sets for deads. 3 right under / 3 right over.... feels weird at first but i got use to it. Give it a try.... Now this is just for power lifting purposes, for bodybuilding you have to be symmetrical so i say over hand. If you have small forearms i say for go the straps, they take stimulus away from your forearms.

2. I tried the hook grip today. Takes time to get used to. I also did the reverse over /under as I normally do under/over.
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness
    •   

3. ive been using capsacin cream every couple of days since i hurt my back 4weeks ago. put some on last night and did a light deadlift day and felt great, no pain. im gonna take rodja's advice and use it before my deadlift days. gonna take it easy for the rest of tghe week and take next week off at the beach. im dying to hit the big weights again, but im making sure my back is 100%

4. i've always been afraid of imbalance development when using an over/under hand grip with deads, i usally alternate my grip with each set.

i never use straps, it actually makes it harder for me to pull, i think it's because i have small hands, and the increased circumference from the added straps effects my grip.

i found that paper towels make a great substitute for powder chalk if your gym doesnt allow it

5. I use the hook and like it for reasons mentioned earlier, but don't over think the over/under grip. It's not going to turn you into the guy who hasn't had his V8 yet; you won't turn into an unbalanced freak. If you want to switch, fine, but thousands of guys find which way they like to grip over/under and then pull like that for the rest of their lives with no problems. Use the grip that lets you pull the most!
    •   

6. the over under technique keeps cross torsion one the bar and makes your grip so much stronger
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe

7. Quote Originally Posted by cranghel099 View Post
    i found that paper towels make a great substitute for powder chalk if your gym doesnt allow it
    Really??????
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe

8. I personally prefer over hand grip for both hands with straps on the heavy lifts. For some reason when I try the over/under I tend to tork my upper body a little while pulling.

9. Quote Originally Posted by thaOrleanyte View Post
    Really??????

yeah i have pretty small hands, i always felt like straps didnt really help my grip, but thin paper towel seem to really help my grip, especially if i squeeze the paper before the lift, so it molds to my hand haha

10. Quote Originally Posted by atjnutrition2 View Post
    I personally prefer over hand grip for both hands with straps on the heavy lifts. For some reason when I try the over/under I tend to tork my upper body a little while pulling.
    That's been my problem with the over under grip as well. Just doesn't fly with me... feels unnatural. The system works, I don't deny that, but my shoulder on the under grip just feels out of sync with the rest of the movement.

11. Quote Originally Posted by cranghel099 View Post
    yeah i have pretty small hands, i always felt like straps didnt really help my grip, but thin paper towel seem to really help my grip, especially if i squeeze the paper before the lift, so it molds to my hand haha
    Yeah man, I've done the same thing as well. Works great. I was having trouble staying on a pullup bar with this smooth rubber surface. Papertowels - FTW! Too bad chalk isn't more widely accepted... papertowels oddly really do fill that gap rather well though.

12. Chalk is mac **** though. Wish every gym let you use chalk. Thankfully mine does. Straps dont really do much for me either. If i really need it i got some nifty lifting hooks. Those are alright but im in the same boat with Cranghel, i have creepy small midget hands . J/J. but really, i have smaller hands, chalk is the way to go.

13. Over-under took me from 405 to 500+
    Obviously not immediately, but it certainly helped.

14. Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    where and how do the hooks cause pain?
    Always feels like my other fingers are trying to pull the thumbnail off more than hurting the main part of the thumb. It never happens, and the feeling goes away when the lift is finished, but the sensation is kinda distracting. Guess this may vary with different people having different finger lengths, hand proportions, etc(?) For sure I only hook for very low reps, couldn't sustain that for a more normal bodybuilding amt of reps.

Something else I noticed with hook or non-hook, in my case anyway, is that the thumb/index/ middle finger part of the hand seems to do most of the pulling, with the ring finger and pinkie kinda going along for the ride more than doing their share of the work.

If this is true for you too, an over/under grip is gonna be off center unless you adjust for this. The business end of the hand, (the thumb, etc) will face inboard on the barbell for the "over" hand, but it will be several inches farther outboard on the bar for the "under" hand. So, if you space your hands exactly equally, the parts of the hands that do most of the pulling are gonna be several inches different in where you are exerting "pull" on the bar.

15. Hell i cant even do deads in till my elbow heals Ill read it then
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

16. i used to use the mixed grip but it destroyed me all over. i switched form under right to over right each set, but it still gave me problems in my shoulder and elbow. even my back was effected. im sticking to the straps. keeps me symetrical and deadlifts feel great but using alot less weight.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. deadlift grip
    By illgixxer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
  2. Deadlift grip
    By itzgambino in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 10:39 AM
  3. Deadlift Grip: Yay or Nay?
    By rampage jackson in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 09:17 AM
  4. Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip?
    By dannyboy9 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 12:40 AM
  5. Deadlift grip? Need some help.
    By blahblah192 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 04:01 PM