strength ??

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
can someone tell me if they have heard this. to keep strength even on light days you need to use 80-85% of your 1rm for 8-12sets of 1or 2 reps. i train wsb and ill i care about is strength.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
On your light days your only suppose to use 50-60% for 8x2-3, at least according to WestSide or my understanding of it. I just started using a Westside protocol myself and I love it. By light days your referring to your Dynamic Effort days correct?

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
correct, dynamic effort. i guess i was mistaken, because i have tried to follow westside very strictly.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yeah from what I have read you only do 50-60% of your 1rep max on DE days but you do it with the same amount of force as you would 95-100%.This helps neural enhancement and increases explosive strength.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, after my post i read over 5 or so articles and 40-50% was the concensus. im trying right now to revamp my westside routine. how does this one look???

Mon-me bench or military 1rm
dips(weighted): 3-5sets of 5-8
pullups: 3-5sets of 5+
iron pushdown: 3sets of 5-8
Tues-me squat or dead 1rm
good morn: 3-5sets of 3-5
zecher squat(squat day)/low box squat(dead day): 5sets of 3-5
bb lunges:till failure
Wed-off
Thurs-de bench or military 8-12sets of 2 at 50+% of 1rm
overhead bb ext: 3-5sets of 5-8 explosive reps
cable rows: 3-5sets of 8
rev tri ext: 3-5sets of 8-12
Fri-de box squat@40+% for 8-12sets of 2, sumo deads@60-65% for 8-12 sets of 1
power jumps:5sets of 12
front squat(squat day)/low box squat(dead day): 5sets of 5-8
leg ext/curl: 5sets of 8-12 for each
Sat-off
Sun-off

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Looks fine dude, I am by no means an expert on westside though, I am too making my own routine based on there principles. Mine Looks like:
Mon- ME Bench
A. Bench Work up to doubles
B. Chest Pullover variation 5x5
C. Floor Press/tricep variation- 3x8-10
D. Shoulder Press - 3x10-12
Tues-DE LowerBody
A. Olympic Lift- triples and doubles
B. Box Squats with Bands- 8x2-3
C. Dead variation - 3x12
D. Glute Ham raises- 3xnegatives til failure
Wed-Back
A. Heavy vertical pull
B, Heavy Horizontal Pull
c. moderate vert pull
D moderate Horizontal pull
E Hi row of some kind
Thurs-Off
Friday - Chest DE
A. Heavy Dips
DB work for rest of the day
Sat-ME legs
A. Singles on Deads (sumo or conventional)
B Triples on Box Squats (Front or Back)
C. Reverse Hypers- 4x12
D. Mobility and stretching/maybe biceps because I am trying to bring them up.
I am trying to mix bodybuilding with westside, I want to get my max numbers up for a competition but I also want to look good nekid lol. Like I said this isn't a conventional WSB routine but its based on the ideals.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well, im still learning how to properly forumlate a westside routine, but i hope this will still produce some results while i continue to read more articles.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
well, im still learning how to properly forumlate a westside routine, but i hope this will still produce some results while i continue to read more articles.
I hear ya man, Do you ever do suspended exercise like Good mornings?

Some advice for you though, If you decide to do any of the blast strap work that Dave Tate recommends go to a hardware store and pick up a tow rope for a car, then just drape it over the top of a powerrack and attach pulley handles and you have blast straps.
I am going to the store tomorrow to buy some heavy gauge rigging or netting to do suspended lifts instead of using chains, I would just use the tow rope but I would rather have two straps supporting weight than one. I am still trying to figure out a cheap way to get bands, I was actually thinking about contacting a manufacturer and making up a big lot of them then selling them on ebay or something cheaper.
Finally if you have any suggestions on how to get a cheap replacement for benching chains or weight releasers let me know.

Lene28

Awards
I have been doing Westside for a couple of years now and love it! One thing you need to change Bigironkiller is don't have your max effort days right by each other. They need to be at least 48 hours apart, and then your ME and DE need to be 72 hours apart. And they say never lift after a ME day, but if your like me and have a busy schedule sometimes that is not possible:
S-Off
M-DE Bench
T-ME Sqt/Dl
W-Off
Th-ME Bench
F-DE Sqt/Dl
Sat-Off This is how mine is set up, if you could switch fridays workout and do it on Saturday that would be best.

As far as the percents go on DE days 50%-60% is what you should be doing, however that is the BAR weight of your 1RM that does not include the bands or chains you should have on. So with the bands and chains you should be doing well over 60% of you 1RM but never put so much band tension or chain where you cannot perform the lifts very fast and explosively. And these squats should be to a box.
One thing that has made a big difference for me was on my ME Sqt/Dl day I squat heavy rotating the type of bar, band tension, and chains and I always pull right after I squat. I do rack pulls or pulls agains bands. And then on my DE day I will do speed squats and then a lot of accesory work. This is how Chuck Vogelpohl trains....except he won't do the speed squats.

Ok it's late and I can't type everything I know so if you have any more specific questions I would be happy to answer them the best I can....and if you want send me your email and I will send you a WS template i have.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I am getting ready to go do Good Mornings for the first time today for my ME work, this should be interesting.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks lene, ill move the rotation of my workouts around to what you suggested. it makes sense not to do 2 me workouts in a row.

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
bigironkiller.I also do westside training and have been usiing a split like you have been using except I have been doing my bench and squat days on opposite days that you are using .Something like this ;

M- ME squat day
T- ME bench day
W-off
Th- DE squat day
F- DE bench day
Sat- off
Sun- off

2 ME days are hard to do 2 days in a row even with good steroids .I was taking Test Prop and halotestin when I started my first cycle .I only take TNE now and can not recover good enough to do 2 ME days in a row now plus I lost some of my strength I achieved with that cycle of prop and halo .

I will be starting my 7th week of my 2nd cycle Monday out of the 9 week cycle I have been following .I have been using the basic template outlined in the seminar slides video manual that Louis Simmons wrote .I downloaded it at elitefts.com .On DE days I use 50% for DE squat days at 10x2 and on DE bench days I use 60% at 10x3 .On ME days I use basically the same percentage's pyramid that Dave Tate outlined in "The Periodzation Bible-Part II " which is basically 10% to 90 % at 10% increases with the same reps he uses .He uses 5 reps at approximately 10% and 3 reps from 20 to 80% then 1x1 at 90%,95% and 100% .I usually try for a new 1rm at 105% and on up if I feel strong enough which I have not been able to do since I dropped the halo I was taking .Currently I am taking TNE twice a day along with Decabolen twice a day .

Lene28,I like the split you are using and may try it when I finish this cycle .It sounds a lot better than my current split even if I start taking Halo or something closely equivalently to it such as Anadrol or Tren A .

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have been planning to do a cycle on tghe side recently, but ive also wanted to do a cut for the next 45 days to look good for the beach. right now i 250 at 6'2. my chest has a little fat to it and also my abdominal area. would still like to put on some lean muscle by using T-Roid for 4 weeks, but im not exactly sure what to do. i have never been big on doing ab exercises but latley i have really stepped it up and am seeing good results. so i think if i did use the t-roid im pretty sure i could get a good recomp effect as well. maybe save the cut for later.

Lene28

Awards
The reason you shouldn't do 2 ME workouts back to back is because your Nervous System needs 72 hours to fully recover. If you give yourself enough rest between ME workouts I promise you will see better results....change it up now don't waste results you could get while your on a cycle!

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I will take your advice starting tomorrrow Lene28.THe westside barbell method of traingng I am doing is composed of microcycles within a cycle .The next 2 weeks of my cycle will be the start of the last 2 weeks of my microcycle before the final week which will be a self test week since I do not have a meet that I am planning on competing in .I would like to compete that week since there will be a big USPF meet that final week in the northern part of my state .I do not have any transportation currently but do not feel I am properly prepared to compete at this time .I plan on taking the recommended time off between training cycles and also take a break from gear during that brief period also .The USPF does not test at the state levels for ordinary meets to my knowledge so I do not think I will have to worry about taking a anabolic urine screen .

I think your suggested method should help me me get back on track at setting new PR'S if nothing else just be able to hit my previous PR's regularly again .I think it is the type of gear I am doing now but I am a strong believer in believing that training and diet plays the most important aspect in any good program that a person will embark on .I know when I was younger I got very good results without the aid of AAS .Now that I am older my body does not have the same response or chemical output it used to have .At my age I feel HRT and proper supplementation is a necessity but suggestions such as yours will probably help a lot also .I could take all the help I could get from people like you and the other members here .

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
here is what i have decided to do:
Mon-DE Squat/Dead
Tues:ME Bench
Wed:eek:ff
Thurs:DE Bench
Friday: ME Squat/Dead

as far as the supplements i will be taking: fishoil, resveretrol, dhea, vit d3, vit c, krealkylin. over the next 45 days i want my squat to reach 435 and deadlift 475. i wont be doing bench because of shoulder issues, so i will replace them with seated bb military press.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
forgot to add i will be taking 4 caps of recreate and 4caps of leviathan reloaded for at least the next 45 days.

Lene28

Awards
Bigironkiller the one big thing that makes my squat go through the roof is using bands! Bands add strength and chains add stability.

I also have shoulder problems and the one thing that helps me is to warm up extremely well, never push anything over my head, don't do lat pulls behind your head, and I very rarely touch my chest with the bar. And what I mean by that is I do a lot of board pressing, floor presses, or hook bands to the top of the rack so it isn't as heavy at the bottom. Another big help has been our Manpon....yes I said Manpon; they are just circular pieces of foam about 6 to 8 inches in diameter and we just hold them on our chest like a board and let the bar sink into the foam and then press it up. This relieves a lot of shoulder pain for me.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I just used my chains for the first time today for bench, it was awesome! Definitely one of my new favorite exercises

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya man, Do you ever do suspended exercise like Good mornings?

Some advice for you though, If you decide to do any of the blast strap work that Dave Tate recommends go to a hardware store and pick up a tow rope for a car, then just drape it over the top of a powerrack and attach pulley handles and you have blast straps.
I am going to the store tomorrow to buy some heavy gauge rigging or netting to do suspended lifts instead of using chains, I would just use the tow rope but I would rather have two straps supporting weight than one. I am still trying to figure out a cheap way to get bands, I was actually thinking about contacting a manufacturer and making up a big lot of them then selling them on ebay or something cheaper.
Finally if you have any suggestions on how to get a cheap replacement for benching chains or weight releasers let me know.

Decent/Cheap bands here:

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands-stretch-bands-purchase.php

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Watch elitefts.com for sales too if you would like bands, they just had a 25% off sale a couple weeks ago, they probably have that once every couple months.