Knee problems

Tumey

Awards
My knees have been hurting me while i squat and was wondering what supplements i can take to help?

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Glucosamine/Chrondroitin, Cissus, Fish Oil...I'd start there and see how you feel.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
How tall are you?

Im 6'1, not a tall man, but above average and ive found that the "normal" shoulder width squat hurts my knees alot. I use a wide stance, almost sumo, and that takes the pressure off my knees. I also go all the way down, below parallel, as far as i can go. One of my buddies who usually goes parrallel had horrible knee/lower back/ankle problems untill he started to full squat.

I would try that first, if that doesnt work the above mentioned products are good.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Glucosamine/Chrondroitin, Cissus, Fish Oil...I'd start there and see how you feel.

Level 1: Cissus Quadrangularis (Cissus RX), Glucosamine + Chondroitin.

Level 2: IGF-1 LR 3 + Level 1.

Level 3: HGH + Level 2

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
How tall are you?

Im 6'1, not a tall man, but above average and ive found that the "normal" shoulder width squat hurts my knees alot. I use a wide stance, almost sumo, and that takes the pressure off my knees. I also go all the way down, below parallel, as far as i can go. One of my buddies who usually goes parrallel had horrible knee/lower back/ankle problems untill he started to full squat.

I would try that first, if that doesnt work the above mentioned products are good.
Just to expand a little on what FP mentioned:
Squat Below Parallel. Partial Squats don’t strengthen your posterior chain, causing muscle imbalances. Your hip joint must come lower than your knee joint. Stopping short also transfers the shear forces to the knee joint.

Sit Back. You risk bouncing on your knees if you Squat straight down. Squat down by moving your hips first. Push your hip back as far as you can. Lower the weight and stretch your hamstrings if necessary. The movement should mimic sitting down in a chair or on the toilet. Knees over your toes, motion initiated by your hips.

Knees out, Toes out. Knees out strengthens your adductors. Your feet must be inline with your thighs. Squatting with your knees out & toes in (or knees in & toes out) puts uneven compressive forces on your knees.

Heels on The Floor. Squatting with your heels off the floor stresses your knees. You want to push through the floor with your heels. If you are having trouble with this try curling your toes up during the lift, forces you back on your heels.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Just to expand a little on what FP mentioned:
Squat Below Parallel. Partial Squats don’t strengthen your posterior chain, causing muscle imbalances. Your hip joint must come lower than your knee joint. Stopping short also transfers the shear forces to the knee joint.

Sit Back. You risk bouncing on your knees if you Squat straight down. Squat down by moving your hips first. Push your hip back as far as you can. Lower the weight and stretch your hamstrings if necessary. The movement should mimic sitting down in a chair or on the toilet. Knees over your toes, motion initiated by your hips.

Knees out, Toes out. Knees out strengthens your adductors. Your feet must be inline with your thighs. Squatting with your knees out & toes in (or knees in & toes out) puts uneven compressive forces on your knees.

Heels on The Floor. Squatting with your heels off the floor stresses your knees. You want to push through the floor with your heels. If you are having trouble with this try curling your toes up during the lift, forces you back on your heels.
and add to that watch out what shoes you are wearing, any type of running shoe kills my knees of squats. you might also look into some tommy kono knee bands or wraps if you are starting to go heavy.

as for supps, like was mentioned, cissus, omegas, and the new one I've picked up is Microlactin. ATLarge has it in their ETS product but you can pick up the NOW version for cheaper. Stuff has helped my recovery immensely, particulary after my ME squat day.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
and add to that watch out what shoes you are wearing, any type of running shoe kills my knees of squats.
Good point. Myself I wear good old Converse Chuck Taylor's. You pretty much want to stick with anything that has a flat non-compressable sole. I have read where a lot of the experts recommend lifting barefoot but most gyms wont allow it.