Squats and Wrist Wraps

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what are your opinions on using wrist wraps for squatting?

I just got some light duty, 12" commando wraps from APT and my intentions are to use them primarily for heavy squatting.

btw, these things are sweet!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I use them some and some other PLers I know do too. I use the low bar position so sometimes it places more strain on my elbows and wrists.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Using wrist straps to squat would be like using knee wraps to bench.

But if it gives you more confidence that could be more benificial than any kinesiological effects it might have.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
That's what I'm thinking as well, but I'm curious as to why you need them to squat.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

But if it gives you more confidence that could be more benificial than any kinesiological effects it might have.

i disagree...
Knee wraps and wrist wraps serve two separate utilities...

i have a very wide grip on squats and i have experienced major wrist pain when driving heavy triples/-/singles...

i squatted yesturday with the commando wraps and ill say that is just what the Dr. ordered.

i was doing relatively heavy band work, 80% (405) w jumpstretch lights and my wrist pain was cut dramatically.

these wraps were perfect for what i wanted them for...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Any joint involved in a lift absorbs pressure and therefore that pressure can be alleviated by additional structural support i.e., wraps.

Unless you have mastered a Squat technique whereby you simply balance the bar on your upper back with no wrist support (which would be ****ing impressive, btw) than it is not the same.

I might pick these up as well; I have a very deep squat position with my traps/rhombs pulled back and tightened so my wrists take a major supportive role there.

Jas and Boro:

What is your knee wrap preference?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Any joint involved in a lift absorbs pressure and therefore that pressure can be alleviated by additional structural support i.e., wraps.

Unless you have mastered a Squat technique whereby you simply balance the bar on your upper back with no wrist support (which would be ****ing impressive, btw) than it is not the same.

I might pick these up as well; I have a very deep squat position with my traps/rhombs pulled back and tightened so my wrists take a major supportive role there.

Jas and Boro:

Yep, exactly. I place the bar low on my back, not up on my traps. That position helps lower the torque on the lower back, but you have to hold the bar against your rombs more which places more stress on your wrists and elbows.

I use THP knee wraps and wrist wraps. I also have a set of Inzer knee wraps (model Z, I think) that someone gave me, but I haven't tried them out yet.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
I also have the commando wrist wraps, I use them quite often while sqautting heavy weights. I would experience so excessive strain on my wrists, and the these were absolutely perefct for whta I was looking for. You should really enjoy these bad boys. APT has nice wraps and straps, real quality stuff there.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

Jas and Boro:

Makes a lot more sense now. Danke

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have Inzer knee wraps. they have worked very well for me but i would like to try the APT stuff...

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
All i know is if you guys have that much pain in your wrists doing squats your doing something wrong. Like trying to lift the weight with your arms instead of your legs.

Maybe my form is why i dont see the need for wrist straps while doing a leg workout. The bar rests on my upper back/traps/shoulders and my hands go at the ends of the bar on the collars, or what ever their called, just to keep the weight from tilting one way or the other. Full range of motion, mostly sumo, mixed with standard, and feet close together.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All i know is if you guys have that much pain in your wrists doing squats your doing something wrong. Like trying to lift the weight with your arms instead of your legs.

Maybe my form is why i dont see the need for wrist straps while doing a leg workout. The bar rests on my upper back/traps/shoulders and my hands go at the ends of the bar on the collars, or what ever their called, just to keep the weight from tilting one way or the other. Full range of motion, mostly sumo, mixed with standard, and feet close together.
I'm definitely not trying to lift the weight with my arms, I am simply supporting it with my wrists. Maybe when you start squatting more than 145, your wrists will hurt too. :twisted:

As I said, unless you are squatting 145, and balancing it on your back with no wrist support, your wrists can take a beating at higher weights.

(joking, btw)

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Yep, exactly. I place the bar low on my back, not up on my traps. That position helps lower the torque on the lower back, but you have to hold the bar against your rombs more which places more stress on your wrists and elbows.

I use THP knee wraps and wrist wraps. I also have a set of Inzer knee wraps (model Z, I think) that someone gave me, but I haven't tried them out yet.
Same here, shoulders squeezed tight, bar resting on posterior delts, elbows back and grip close enough so forearms are perpendicular to the bar. This is something that can really limit wrist pain. Increase your shoulder flexibility and you can narrow your grip on the bar. This allows you to keep your wrist straight through out the lift and distributes the force across the forearm instead of the wrist. Also keep your thumb on top of the bar instead of wrapping it, also helps keep the wrist straight.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
To each his own--I squat in the 6-8 rep range with 455 on a heavy day and have yet to feel any pain/pressure or need for wrist wraps. I would, however, certainly agree with knee wraps, as I don't believe you can count a rep unless you at least hit parallel.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
this is sparking some interesting convo...

i personally like wrist wraps, as does mullet...

thanks for the interesting debate

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same here, shoulders squeezed tight, bar resting on posterior delts, elbows back and grip close enough so forearms are perpendicular to the bar. This is something that can really limit wrist pain. Increase your shoulder flexibility and you can narrow your grip on the bar. This allows you to keep your wrist straight through out the lift and distributes the force across the forearm instead of the wrist. Also keep your thumb on top of the bar instead of wrapping it, also helps keep the wrist straight.
My shoulders are supinated as much as possible - the bar rests firmly on the peak of flexion between my traps and upper rhombs. I have great shoulder flexibility from Cleans. With that being said, I still prefer wrist wraps in this respect.

This isn't necessarily a weight, or especially form issue, but rather an issue of physiology. My wrists, as borobulker's, simply benefit from wraps.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
My shoulders are supinated as much as possible - the bar rests firmly on the peak of flexion between my traps and upper rhombs. I have great shoulder flexibility from Cleans. With that being said, I still prefer wrist wraps in this respect.

This isn't necessarily a weight, or especially form issue, but rather an issue of physiology. My wrists, as borobulker's, simply benefit from wraps.
Dont get me wrong, I am not saying not to use them, just pointing out some things that can lead to wrist pain. Before increasing my shoulder flexibility I had a lot of wrist pain because I could not keep my wrist inline so I was just sharing what worked for me.
Having broke both the radius & ulna bones at the wrist in both arms I can understand the physiology aspect of it. Neither of my arms healed perfectly straight. When/if I get to the weights you guys are using they may be something I have to look at.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
i have convict and phantom wrap from apt.... i have some major wrist problems... without theis straps i couldent lift period...
it hurts where the face of a watch would be... i dono why. it just hurts all day..

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have convict and phantom wrap from apt.... i have some major wrist problems... without theis straps i couldent lift period...
it hurts where the face of a watch would be... i dono why. it just hurts all day..

same here bud, it sucks. i have extremely weak wrists...

Last edited:

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
if you lift low bar and wear supportive equipment it is almost necessary.

Awards
Gear is not to cut back the pain it was created to Protect joints so dont use them to mask address the pain or injury the knee wrap when applied correctly is used to support the patela Tendon

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

best post of this thread. do not overlook this guys.
when i first started squatting low bar my wrists were bending back holding the weight. keep a thumbless grip over the bar and use a narrow grip so your shoulders get pulled together (it will take time to get flexibility).

your wrists should stay straight in line with your forearms.

Otori

Awards
best post of this thread. do not overlook this guys.
when i first started squatting low bar my wrists were bending back holding the weight. keep a thumbless grip over the bar and use a narrow grip so your shoulders get pulled together (it will take time to get flexibility).

your wrists should stay straight in line with your forearms.
Agreed. A close grip increses the tightness of your torso and also enables you to manipulate your elbows more during the lift in order to straighthen the back and get more thrust from the hips. I never, ever do thumbless grip though, on any exercise. This because it´s an illegal grip in the IPF and flat out stupid in most movements (like benchpress, overhead presses etc) but I guess it´s ok on squats.

Regarding the wristwraps I consider then a necessity if you´re like me, a low rider. The strain on the wrist can be quite severe and why risk an easily aviodable injury? With that said I must also point out that I strongly belive that the wristwraps should not be overused or else you will be missing out on developing stronger wrists.

I personally do not start using the wristwraps untill I´m above 230kg or more in the squat but if I tried my raw max of 270kg without them, I´m sure my wrist would get hurt.

Am I making any sense? :run:

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. A close grip increses the tightness of your torso and also enables you to manipulate your elbows more during the lift in order to straighthen the back and get more thrust from the hips. I never, ever do thumbless grip though, on any exercise. This because it´s an illegal grip in the IPF and flat out stupid in most movements (like benchpress, overhead presses etc) but I guess it´s ok on squats.

Regarding the wristwraps I consider then a necessity if you´re like me, a low rider. The strain on the wrist can be quite severe and why risk an easily aviodable injury? With that said I must also point out that I strongly belive that the wristwraps should not be overused or else you will be missing out on developing stronger wrists.

I personally do not start using the wristwraps untill I´m above 230kg or more in the squat but if I tried my raw max of 270kg without them, I´m sure my wrist would get hurt.

Am I making any sense? :run:
Totally understood. I apprecitate your answer. I usually only use them on over 85% lifts. As you said, no need to "miss out" on developing stronger wrists but i also would rather not incur an injury. I have been using Metal Triple Black lines for my ME work. The APT commando's for my DE work (when needed).

I too have the bar placed pretty low and NO i do not use the thumb less grip.

thanks for all of the answers.