benchers shoulder

M

max87

Awards
This friend of mine who I train with once in a while, is really having a hard time with his left shoulder, only on bench. I told him I thought he had benchers shoulder, and I would find out more for him. If anyone has any secrets on how to treat it besides just rest, and what excactly benchers shoulder is I would appreciate it.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This friend of mine who I train with once in a while, is really having a hard time with his left shoulder, only on bench. I told him I thought he had benchers shoulder, and I would find out more for him. If anyone has any secrets on how to treat it besides just rest, and what excactly benchers shoulder is I would appreciate it.
While healing with Cissus quadrangularis and tons of fish oil - Either switch bench out with dumbbell bench, decline bench, or come down on barbell bench about an inch or two above touching the chest. This will help avoid straining the anterior deltoid and tendons related therewith. That'll give the cissus and fish oil some room to do their magic.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
The problem is going to be form and flexibility related. In addition to the supps mentioned above he needs to start doing shoulder dislocation exercises. I have attached a PDF file about them.
When doing bench a common mistake is to roll the shoulders forward. This puts the shoulder in an unnatural position and results in a strain on the joint. Next time you are training tell him to lay back on the bench as he normally would, then try and pinch his shoulder blades together and hold it that way thoughout the lift, in addition tell him to squeeze his glutes as tightly as he can. This will not only keep the shoulder in a natural alignment but forces you to keep your chest up and shoulders back. With this form you should also be able to lift more weight because the distance from lock out to chest will shorten. Practice a few times with your warm up weight until he gets the hang of it. After a couple of weeks it will be second nature. After a week or so of the shoulder dislocations and proper form the pain should subside. (Reference M. Rippetoe, Starting Strength; DC Training; Pendelay log)
Good Luck!

Attachments

M

Mafro

Awards
i suffer fom the same thing and one thing that helps me is to warm up by doing a couple light sets on the rowing machine or shoulder press machine.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The problem is going to be form and flexibility related. In addition to the supps mentioned above he needs to start doing shoulder dislocation exercises. I have attached a PDF file about them.
When doing bench a common mistake is to roll the shoulders forward. This puts the shoulder in an unnatural position and results in a strain on the joint. Next time you are training tell him to lay back on the bench as he normally would, then try and pinch his shoulder blades together and hold it that way thoughout the lift, in addition tell him to squeeze his glutes as tightly as he can. This will not only keep the shoulder in a natural alignment but forces you to keep your chest up and shoulders back. With this form you should also be able to lift more weight because the distance from lock out to chest will shorten. Practice a few times with your warm up weight until he gets the hang of it. After a couple of weeks it will be second nature. After a week or so of the shoulder dislocations and proper form the pain should subside. (Reference M. Rippetoe, Starting Strength; DC Training; Pendelay log)
Good Luck!
Dc also recommens no flat benching! I havnt benched in a long time and will never again! I messed my shoulder up on 315 about one year of training(heavy negatives) Its now fully healed. My trainign partner was insane and I used to take his crap than. I was a beginning doing 275-315 with him spooting me with two fingers under me.

goaussiego

goaussiego

Awards
another good thing when benching for your shoulder that i got from test nation is too like dawaro said retract your shoulder blades hard, keep them like that the whole time do not let them come apart and dont do wide grip bench with elbows flared (bodybuilders bench). try more of a powerlifting style with a much narrower grip, not much wider than shoulder width and tuck your elbows in by your sides, dont flare them keeping your lower arms at a 45deg angle takes a bit of practice but works great and really protects your shoulder and puts lots more isolated stress on your pecs rather than tris and delts i find. i dunno how to add a link so ill put web address in and check out this for a read. www.t-nation.com/article/performance_training/bench_press_blowouts_prevention_and_treatment and this one www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_shoulder_training_bible