1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Practicing for my first dead lift comp

My boy and I are doing a deadlift comp on May 18th. Just a small meet at our gym. He took first place in his division last year. He was 14 years old and weighed in at 163. He's 15 now, and weighs 225 and is 6'3" He set a personal record today in practice

335lbs.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.33%
    Achievements Posting Pro

wish my dad had me pulling when i was young. congrats happy father.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Thats some father and son pride right there, definitely keep us updated. What was the record he just set? How much did he pull?
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

His best before today was 315. He won his class last year with a pull of 275. Today's pull was 335, and that was after a 325 pull. He said he thought he could have gotten 350 up. I believe him, cause 335 came up real easy. Just no gas left in the tank to try again.

He's gonna catch me real soon now LOL! My best today was 365. I'm just in it for the fun though. If I hit 405 during the competition I will be happy.
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Thats a big boy for fifteen.

Kill them deads on that comp day Redwolf!

do you know if rack deads have done anything for your dead?
    i remember you were hitting somre pretty high rack deads a couple months back
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

The rack pulls don't really seem to have helped at all. I have pulled 465 I think it was that way, and didn't really increase my deadlift. The owner of the gym thinks they actually hurt your deadlift ability. Right now I think I'm suffering from overtraining. My best yesterday was 20 pounds off my best the week before. Might give it a rest this week.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

good luck man, good to see a father son combo this early in his life. That is how I started years ago
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.77%

Is your son's name Napoleon by any chance? .........sorry bad joke.

If he has put on 60 odd pounds between 14 & 15 he is going to be an absolute monster by the time he hits 18 or so!! He a footballer by any chance?
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    The rack pulls don't really seem to have helped at all. I have pulled 465 I think it was that way, and didn't really increase my deadlift. The owner of the gym thinks they actually hurt your deadlift ability. Right now I think I'm suffering from overtraining. My best yesterday was 20 pounds off my best the week before. Might give it a rest this week.
    did you notice if you saw improvements in back thickness on rack deads?
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    Is your son's name Napoleon by any chance? .........sorry bad joke.

If he has put on 60 odd pounds between 14 & 15 he is going to be an absolute monster by the time he hits 18 or so!! He a footballer by any chance?

Yep he plays football. He will be a sophomore this year. He plays on the offensive and defensive line, and plays defensive end on occasion. I think they are still trying to find the best spot for him. He's not real quick, but he's strong as an ox!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    did you notice if you saw improvements in back thickness on rack deads?

Yea I really did. My t-shirts got much tighter, and I don't think it was because of an increase in chest size. None of my dress shirts fit anymore LOL! I'm gonna have to go buy new clothes!
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%

Yea I really did. My t-shirts got much tighter, and I don't think it was because of an increase in chest size. None of my dress shirts fit anymore LOL! I'm gonna have to go buy new clothes!
    I hear you man. I do rack deads for back thickness and think they work great for back thickness. Deads involve more hips and quads
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

good luck in the comp...

i wish i had one scheduled, i love that eustress/anxiety feeling...

to me, it seems that his stance is a little confused. i have always found that the taller you are, the closer your feet should be for proper leverage. the deadlift game is based around leverage.

another thing, his wide grip looks uncomfortable and he could be compensating for poor mobility in his hips at the low part of the movement...

this is nothing i would address if the comp is with ~16 weeks. during your next recomp, you may look into a pl coach/trainer because it is obvious that your son has the strength, the time and the family support to make something happen.

just my $.02.
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Its ironic you noticed that. He just changed his stance about 2 weeks ago, to a wider stance and grip. Seemed to help him out quite a bit. I may well look into a coach for him if he decides this is something he really wants to continue on with. There just isn't much more I can do for him other than cheer him on. I've shared all my knowledge with him. Thanks for the input.
  15. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.68%

First of all thats awesome you got your kid in the gym, i started training at about 13yrs and never looked back.

How did you guys find a comp to enter? The only one ive ever done i just fell into because it was being held through my gym.

I know theres a million organizations out there i cold join, im just wondering if theres a website, or good publication that lists open comps.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  244 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.01%

Your son will be a deadlifting beast by the time he's 18! I am also interested in competing in power lifting comps but don't really know how to get into it...
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Our gym holds the competition every year, so we just kinda fell into it. I wasn't all that interested in it at first, but my boy wanted me to do it with him this year so I am.

The gym posts all the competitions that are happening in our area (well, more like a 3 or 4 state area). I kinda figgured most gyms would do that. There seem to be quite a few if your willing to travel around.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.08%

You must be very proud of your son. Most of the kids I see at the gym don't even know what deadlifts are! Nothing like real quality time with your kids. My son is only 10 and I am hopeful that he will someday join me in the gym. Good luck at the meet. You will get 405. I am the same age as you, and I finally broke 400 on Friday. It can be done my friend!
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Quote Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
    You must be very proud of your son. Most of the kids I see at the gym don't even know what deadlifts are! Nothing like real quality time with your kids. My son is only 10 and I am hopeful that he will someday join me in the gym. Good luck at the meet. You will get 405. I am the same age as you, and I finally broke 400 on Friday. It can be done my friend!

Thanks man, that gives me hope!
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%

Its ironic you noticed that. He just changed his stance about 2 weeks ago, to a wider stance and grip. Seemed to help him out quite a bit. I may well look into a coach for him if he decides this is something he really wants to continue on with. There just isn't much more I can do for him other than cheer him on. I've shared all my knowledge with him. Thanks for the input.
    Seems to contridict each other. A wider stance will shorten range of motion, often used for shorter lifters. A wider grip lengthens range of motion, often used to train for hip depth. Anyone can correct me if i am wrong but you want one or the other.

I personally think, at his height, he would have great leverage with a much closer stance.

It is awesome that you are taking the time to train him, PROPERLY. I see a lot of fathers that think they know what they are doing, putting their children into comprimising positions.

Best of luck, get pics at the comp, post them up!!!

Also, if you are interested in upcoming events, check out powerliftingwatch.com or pick up a copy of Powerlifting USA magazine.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.59%

Has he every tried pulling sumo? Most of the time shorter people are better sumo deadlifters, and taller people are better conventional deadlifters, but sometime it dosent hold true. Where is he weak, off the floor, mid knee, or *******? What does his squat look like?

One more thing does he have long legs, or short legs. Long torso or short torso. Long arms, or short arms?
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

This saturday if goes to the gym (he has prom that night so don't know if he's going) I will video his lift. He has a long torso and long arms. Seems his weak place is the first few inches off the floor. If he can get past about the first 4", he usually hits the lift.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Well today is the day! Weigh in is at 12 and lifting starts at 2. We are as ready as we can be.

If I had it to do over, I'd have spent more time in the squat rack getting my legs stronger, but I've got to work with what I have.

I'll post pics and maybe some vids tonight.
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.65%

Good Luck Man!
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  25. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%

Looking forward to it RW.
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%

cant wait to hear... good luck guys
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Well I'm at work till midnight, so wont get pics or vids up tonight, but here's how we did.

Marshall opened with 275, wich was his winning pull last year. He easily made it. His next pull was 315 wich he nailed again. 3rd pull was 350 and he made it look easy. Because he hit all 3 lifts, he was given a 4th lift (house rules) I was trying to get him to go 375, but he got talked into 400. He got it about half way up and had to let it go, but he sure gave it hell! I'm proud of how he did up there. 350 was a personal record for him and he's only 15. He took 2nd in his catagory.

I opened with 300 and it came up real easy. Next I went to 335, and that too came up easy, but I tweaked my lower back setting it back down (your lift is DQ'd if you just drop the bar.. You must control it all the way down) I hit my 3rd lift at 365 wich tied my PR. My 4th lift I went for 400, I got it up a couple of inches but the pain in my lower back told me to drop it. *sigh* I'm not sure what place I took, it really doesn't matter to me. Just wanted to be there with my son, and do the best I could do. Pics and vids tomorrow. Maybe you guys can critique our form. I could sure use it because I seem to be stuck at 365.
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%

congratulations to both of you.

your son needs to stick with it, those are impressive numbers at his age. check out some of the national novice, teen numbers...
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  244 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.01%

props on the competition lifts! your son is gonna be ****ing huge if he keeps dl'in!
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Ok some video finally!

Here's Marshalls 350 pull:

My 365 pull:

Marshalls 400 pound pull:

And my 400 pound pull... Back hurt pretty bad, took a few seconds before I could stand up erect.

31. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.68%

pretty damn good. You sons 350 pull doesnt work. says no longer available.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Thanks man! Fixed the video.
  33. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.68%

Im surprised he didnt stick that 400, as easy as the 350 was. Did he say he was tired? It looked like his grip was giving out and he had to drop the weight or something.

And ya your back looked like it hurt like a b!tch in your last video. I feel your pain. I deliver ice during the summer, and ill move 10-20,000 pounds in a day. If only you could feel the golf ball i got in my lower back last summer after 4 of july. I worked 14 hrs that day.
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%

Very Nice RW!(and son)

do you do Glute ham-raises? Ive started these and my rack deads have gone though the roof! again I haven't Deadlifted in over six months so int ill then I'll keep my mouth shut. again my best conventional pull is 405, over a year ago. Whenever I start deadlifting again...well in till than I cant talk.=) Nice motivation on the vids
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%

I got a deadlift PR yesterday in the gym. 345 for 6 reps, while I was planning to get 1 or 2. Felt awesome finishing my workout after that, but my hams and lower back don't feel so awesome today.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Hey Smeaton! I do something like a glute-ham raise on this contraption we have at the gym. I was told they are called Hypers, but if you set yourself a bit more forward in it, it really hammers the glutes and hams, and not so much the lower back. I think maybe I'll start using it as a G-H raise machine LOL!.

Nice reps goslamacamel!! I think I'd be pretty damned sore after that too!

I think I'm going to be spending some serious time in the squat rack, and finding other excersizes that really work the hams, and combine that with some heavy rack pulls, and only throw deads in maybe every 3rd week. First thing though is healing this pulled muscle in my lower back. I've been snortin lines of Super Cissux RX 4x a day. I actually started a week before the competition just to try to avoid an injury.
  37. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%

Hey Smeaton! I do something like a glute-ham raise on this contraption we have at the gym. I was told they are called Hypers, but if you set yourself a bit more forward in it, it really hammers the glutes and hams, and not so much the lower back. I think maybe I'll start using it as a G-H raise machine LOL!.

Nice reps goslamacamel!! I think I'd be pretty damned sore after that too!

I think I'm going to be spending some serious time in the squat rack, and finding other excersizes that really work the hams, and combine that with some heavy rack pulls, and only throw deads in maybe every 3rd week. First thing though is healing this pulled muscle in my lower back. I've been snortin lines of Super Cissux RX 4x a day. I actually started a week before the competition just to try to avoid an injury.
    nice RW. does snorting work better than taking it powder? does cissus burn your nose?
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    nice RW. does snorting work better than taking it powder? does cissus burn your nose?
    Brown snot. Awesome.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Pretty smooth stuff Actually, before someone really thinks I am snorting it, I'm taking about 2 grams 4 times a day orally.
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%

you had me thinking you snort it, which many of the fellas over at m and m snort their powder's. how's cissus for joint pain working?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dead Lift 400 Lbs & Lose Fat Challenge.
    By Defex in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 01:12 AM
  2. splitting the dead lift into 2
    By itzgambino in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 09:15 PM
  3. stiff leg dead lift
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 12:31 AM
  4. Dead lift help