Deadlifting gear

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, got a quick question for ya'll. Two months ago i was going really heavy on deadlift- 500 for 5. And the next day i woke up with an umbilcal hernia. My form on my last rep was aweful and i pushed way to hard. I was wearing the 4 inch powerlfiting belt real tight though. I was just wondering in the future what additional gear can i use so i dont get another hernia?? thanks guys

Lene28

Awards
Make sure your form is on, if you cannot keep good form stop! Also do more core work, like weighted abs along with high rep abs.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah my form was always perfect, i just lost focus and f*cked up once. My core strength is great though, i was just wondering if there was anything else i could wear, i saw some guy sqautting with some black vest underneath his belt and was wondering if there was equipment that actaully gave more support to the core

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
yeah my form was always perfect, i just lost focus and f*cked up once. My core strength is great though, i was just wondering if there was anything else i could wear, i saw some guy sqautting with some black vest underneath his belt and was wondering if there was equipment that actaully gave more support to the core

thats all it takes man for you to loose focus ONCE!!,, but yeah i just got into deadlifting it is supposedly one of the if not the best exercise there is for back mass forearms legs etc. a powerhouse. my buddy is in the process of teaching me the correct form which is a lot harder than you would think, yes the belt is a great idea, another great exercise that is related to the dealift is the rack pull both great exercises where correct form takes AWHILE, but getting it down takes some time but doing these 2 exercises could me some serious mass

Lene28

Awards
You could wear a deadlift suit or a pair of squat briefs, but honestly those will not prevent a hernia if you are lacking in core strength or your form is off.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Hey guys, got a quick question for ya'll. Two months ago i was going really heavy on deadlift- 500 for 5. And the next day i woke up with an umbilcal hernia. My form on my last rep was aweful and i pushed way to hard. I was wearing the 4 inch powerlfiting belt real tight though. I was just wondering in the future what additional gear can i use so i dont get another hernia?? thanks guys
While I am no where close to the load you are at but being a puny, girly man I have to pay very close attention to my form. I have studied the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe several times over the past year and I would definitley recommend reading it. Deadlifts are actually a very technical exercise and the books discusses common form issues and how to correct them.
As far as your primary question I would not recommend a belt except on your heaviest lifts. A tight belt makes it harder to take a deap breath and hold it during the lift. Taking a deep breath increases abdominal pressure. That along with flexing of the abs helps prevent lower back rounding.
Being that the deadlift is so technical your form should never be sacrificed for weight. If it is heavy enough to comprimise form it is too heavy and you are at risk of injury. Any time you feel that you start to lose form it is best to stop the lift as quickly and safely as possible. When I lose it I just drop the weight but I know some gyms dont allow that so you may just have to back it down. The last thing you want is your innie to become an outie and have to be down for a couple of weeks to have it put back in place.