getting "meet ready"...

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i have started making small adjuststments to my training for my first meet at the end of june, not to the routine itself but to my environment.

- i am going iPod-less: the meet will probably not have music nor will I be allowed to wear my iPod, so I want to work on getting focused and psyched w/o music.

- I am starting to squat facing away from mirrors: i had never noticed how dependant i was on the mirrors to make sure I hit depth and to check my stance, and based on the two meets I have visited, mirrors will not be by the lifting platform. I am going to start relying on spotters to gauge my depth, and try to be more in tune with my body to check my stance. one thing I have noticed is that it is a weird feeling not looking at the mirror when I squat, I seem to get a little dizzy/disoriented/loose my balance a tad...

is there anything else I can focus on?

thanks

APT Rep

Awards
Main things I have to focus on is waiting for commands, hitting correct depth, and keeping a "Controlled Rage".

I noticed that when I turned my back to the mirror while squatting I would keep my head up, and actually hit depth easier. If facing the mirror I would tend to look down more which made me round my back more. This made my butt come up and made it difficult to hit depth.

Best of luck.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
the week before the meet, do you deload that week or deload the week before and do nothing/little that week of the meet?

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I normally go heavist 3 weeks out, 2 weeks out deload, then week nothing, try to cut weight. Hope this helps

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
it does... my 12week EliteFTS program is going to end 4weeks shy of the competition, so I wanted to work backwards from that date to see what week(s) I should repeat to extend it to a 16week program. I'll go easy the week of and deload the week before.

thanks

Lene28

Awards
Most meets will have music, I quit using an ipod just because it was a hastle; but you can wear it and have someone take it from you right when you step on the platform. You need to have someone call you on depth, there is no need to guess. And I had the same problem with the mirrors a few years back, you really do become dependent on them; I would shut my eyes and feel the same way as you....dizzy and start to lose my balance. I usually hit a little less than my opener 2 weeks out and the week of the meet rest. However, don't be lazy go to the gym at least twice and do some light lifting and stretch just to get the blood flowing. And depending on your strength level you should probably use a Circa Max Phase to get you peaked for a meet. This works extremely well for me, it should we on westside's website in their articles section.