Floor Press question

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Is the floor press inherently harder that a 2-board press? I tried it today for the first time, and my 3RM was like 30lbs less than my last 2-board 5RM (275 vs 305). Only major difference was a 1sec pause at the bottom... Just wondering, I like the pause as it mimics the pause I'd have to do in a meet, but I had never done a paused set on ME day, only on DE workouts...

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can utilise it for both workouts. On ME day work up to a heavy triple and do that for three sets, alternatively you could aim for a big single and see where you're at. On DE day, make it an accessory after speed bench (3x8-10). I can 2-board more than I can floor press, so yes, I would say it is harder. The key to the floor press, as you mentioned, is the pause. This is what makes it difficult, and also the fact that you have no leg drive.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on where your weakness is. I also have a stronger two board than floor press. On your DE day you shouldn't be pausing your speed bench. They should be explosive as possible, up, and down, no pause. Next you shouldn't do a ME after your speed bench. Some good ME exercises for a raw bencher are off the chest 3 rep max, floor press, incline, 2 board press. Then a lat/upper back movement, tricep movement, delt movement, then a forearm. Then on your DE day speed bench, 3x10 DB Bench, same assistance as your ME day. Hope this helps. Mark

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
This template was made by the head strength, and conditioning coach from Davidson College Evan Simon.

Max Effort Bench Press

Week 1 – Work up to a 1RM on incline press
Week 2 – Work up to a 1RM on a 3 board press
Week 3 – Work up to a 5RM on a bench press
Week 4 – Work up to a 1RM on a 2 board press
Week 5 – Work up to a 3RM on a bench press
Week 6 – Work up to a 1RM on a floor press

Dynamic Effort Bench Press

Straight Weight- 60% 9x3, with 3 different grips, close, med,
wide.

Then only on DE day, do heavy dumbbell presses for 3x10.

Assistance- for ME, and DE day.

Lat/upper back movement- Dumbell Rows, or Chin ups
Rear Deltoids- face pulls, rear db raises
Triceps- Pressdowns, elbow extensions, rolling triceps
Forearms- Hammer curls, wrist curls

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the feedback, MEH. This is my first foray into powerlifting and I am following Elitefts' 12week template and currently on week 6, doing DE bench in saturday, ME SQ/DL on Monday, ME Bench on Wednesday and DE SQ/DL on Thursdays.

the program at different times includes 2 and 4-board presses, 3RMs, floor presses, rack lockouts ( i like those as I can go pretty heavy relative compared to other presses) and a lot of speed work with sets of 8x3 at different percentages and grips. It looks like the major difference from what you suggested is that on DE day they do have me pause the weight, 2 secs on bench movements and 1 sec on floor press, 2 secs on box squats. I like the structure and direction it provides, I tried to create my own westside template but just didn't know enough about powerlifting to know which exercises would be best to select. i do appreciate your feedback and will take it into account when I revisit my training cycle.

Since I am still trying to figure out what my weaknesses are I am going to follow the program closely, week 12 will conclude with my first meet at the end of June and evaluate from there. my goals for that meet are a 315bench and a 405 squat and deadlift, in the 40-44 division at 242lbs.

thanks

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the feedback, MEH. This is my first foray into powerlifting and I am following Elitefts' 12week template and currently on week 6, doing DE bench in saturday, ME SQ/DL on Monday, ME Bench on Wednesday and DE SQ/DL on Thursdays.

the program at different times includes 2 and 4-board presses, 3RMs, floor presses, rack lockouts ( i like those as I can go pretty heavy relative compared to other presses) and a lot of speed work with sets of 8x3 at different percentages and grips. It looks like the major difference from what you suggested is that on DE day they do have me pause the weight, 2 secs on bench movements and 1 sec on floor press, 2 secs on box squats. I like the structure and direction it provides, I tried to create my own westside template but just didn't know enough about powerlifting to know which exercises would be best to select. i do appreciate your feedback and will take it into account when I revisit my training cycle.

Since I am still trying to figure out what my weaknesses are I am going to follow the program closely, week 12 will conclude with my first meet at the end of June and evaluate from there. my goals for that meet are a 315bench and a 405 squat and deadlift, in the 40-44 division at 242lbs.

thanks
That is a great program. Eliteft's is probably the most beneficial site on the internet for powerlifters, and all athletes. They alot of great articles, and information. If you don't train with bands, and chains start, you will see great gains. Westside is very simple to understand, and train. Its what I train, and everyone else I know. Glen Mills powerlifting team arguably one of the best gyms in the country trains all Westside. They have some of the best deadlifters in the country. Also one of the largest misconceptions in powerlifting is you have to been in mulit ply gear, or on the sauce for Westside to work. I know personally know two of the best drug free single ply powerlifters in the world, that incorporates westside into they training. send me am email at [email protected] Mark

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I do Westside training also .I am still fairly new to it .I have just doing the basic 9 week template outlined in the seminar video so far .The only thing I do different is I do not workout on the recommended workout days .I ME squat -lower body day on Mondays and ME bench-upper body on Tuesdays .Wednesday is a off day then I do my DE lower and upper body days on Thursdays and Fridays .

I can floor press more than I can do a 3 board press .I need to make up some more board press combos since my 3 board is all I have made so far .I only started doing this back in mid January .I get a lot of my info from elitefts also .

My first post here since I joined a couple of days ago .I started doing the westside method when I was already in the middle of a prop and halo cycle .My gains were real good until I run out of the halo .By the way I am talking about real halo not h-drol .When I run out of the halo I found it much more difficult to do 2 ME days in a row .I will get it back together soon which is one of the reasons I joined this forum so I could learn more the newer otc designer steroids instead of having to order my orals from overseas .I have about a 10 week supply of Test prop powder left and about a 17 week supply of test base powder left .I might eventually just quit doing the juice and simply get on a local trt treatment plan since my insurance will pay for it .At 58 I don't think I will have a problem getting a doctor to put me on trt .Sorry for getting a little off topic .

Braunsweig

Awards
Last Friday I finished Brooks Kubik's Dinosaur Arms program with floor press supplemented for bench press. It was a great program and the floor press was amazing. I returned to the bench monday and put an extra 50 pounds on the bar. I was able to do it easily and I had only done floor press for a month. It could have been the change in technique but it helped me tremendously. I think I will be doing floor press again next month.

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I hope I can do what you did when I start doing board presses again next week [increase my bench].Today was ME bench day and the last week of floor presses core exercise .I have did them for the last 3 weeks .I was weak for some reason today and could only do 2 reps at 82.4 % of my 1rm floor press .I usually follow the template and only do 3 reps at a time in 10% increments until I reach 90% when I start doing 1x1 .I do westside training and the floor press is equivlent to a 3 week mini cycle within a cycle .Next week I will start board presses again for 2 weeks before I self test my self in the final 9th week of my cycle .I ran out of some of the supplements that I usuallly take .I checked my tracking # earlier today and my supplements are scheduled for delivery tomorrow .Maybe my strength will pick up on Thursday and Friday on my DE squat and bench days after I get my supplements .

heavies

heavies

Awards
  • Established
Maybe my strength will pick up on Thursday and Friday on my DE squat and bench days after I get my supplements .
They will I am doing the Westside prog. too. First week was not really a strong week I struggled. But the T prop, Eq. Dbol stack took over at wk 2 and I triple 505 on ME squat days, I haven't made it to a 1 RM yet. I am starting too low in the %'s i.e. 225 and moving triples 50 lbs/set, by the time I get to 500 I have done a bunch of sets.

I run the T prop @ 600/wk, I ran the Eq last wk a 1gm (way too much) pulse the Dbol @ 25 mg on WOD's, I want to run some peptides but they are pricey... I think I will homebrew some tren instead.

What supp's you run? Other than the T prop?

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I have not been taking test prop for 3 to 4 months .I have been taking Test Base [TNE] anywere from 100 to 250 mg Ed .The TNE works better 2x ed in equal doses .For the last several days I have been pinning 2xED of 2 x 125mg since I thought I would try to increase the single dose I had been taking .I made up a Test Prop /Tren A blend yesterday of a 100/100 mix .I used regular Tren Prop powder and Tren A pellets to make it .This the 1st time I have made it this way so I am not too sure how much pain it might cause .I converted the Tren pellets 1st then added the prop powder in the final step of the pellet conversion .I will probably try a shot of it tommorrow since tomorrow is a off day .I had cut back from pinning twice Ed with the TNE to once a day but had not been feeling as good as I did before with the 2x ed routine .

To answer your question about my current supplements .I am taking Zero Carb Isopure,creapure creatine ,Taurine ,Glutamine and waxi maize .I started to buy some cheap multi-vitamins today while I was out for $4 for a bottle of 100 .Should have probably have bought them anyway .I hope this new Tren A /Test Prop cycle will help me more with my strenght and mass gains more than the TNE has been doing .I used to get better results with a Prop only cycle better than I have with the TNE cycle .It could be were I cut back to just one shot a day .The TNE might last 6 hrs max .

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Best floor press is 405
best 2 brd 425x3

Floor presses always felt harder to me.

heavies

heavies

Awards
  • Established
I think lower floor press weight is due to the fact that on the floor you have two distinct disadvantages;
1. No real drive off the floor through your thighs. (self apparent)
2. No or limited dynamic transfer from lowest point of your stroke i.e. using your chest as a spring. With boards you get some momentum "bounce" as the bar returns off the board, because the board is on your chest and your chest is your spring, however, on the floor you cannot bounce off your chest and "boost" the acceleration of the weight against gravity, because the floor doesn't allow you to bring the bar to your chest. On the floor your contributing muscles are isolated to initiate 100 % of the required acceleration to overcome gravity.

When I say "bounce" off your chest I mean from literally bouncing, to more of expansion and contraction or absorption of force and redirection of force.

So typically lower weights pushed.

heavies

heavies

Awards
  • Established
I have not been taking test prop for 3 to 4 months .I have been taking Test Base [TNE] anywere from 100 to 250 mg Ed .The TNE works better 2x ed in equal doses .For the last several days I have been pinning 2xED of 2 x 125mg since I thought I would try to increase the single dose I had been taking .I made up a Test Prop /Tren A blend yesterday of a 100/100 mix .I used regular Tren Prop powder and Tren A pellets to make it .This the 1st time I have made it this way so I am not too sure how much pain it might cause .I converted the Tren pellets 1st then added the prop powder in the final step of the pellet conversion .I will probably try a shot of it tommorrow since tomorrow is a off day .I had cut back from pinning twice Ed with the TNE to once a day but had not been feeling as good as I did before with the 2x ed routine .

To answer your question about my current supplements .I am taking Zero Carb Isopure,creapure creatine ,Taurine ,Glutamine and waxi maize .I started to buy some cheap multi-vitamins today while I was out for $4 for a bottle of 100 .Should have probably have bought them anyway .I hope this new Tren A /Test Prop cycle will help me more with my strenght and mass gains more than the TNE has been doing .I used to get better results with a Prop only cycle better than I have with the TNE cycle .It could be were I cut back to just one shot a day .The TNE might last 6 hrs max .
How long do you stay on? Post a report on how the homebrew works out. I assume the Halo was added to give you the aggression you need to kill iron.

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I stay on mostly year round ,just blast and cruise .The prop and tren will be equal to a blast for me since I have not had any tren since November .Just mainly either doing prop or TNE .To be truthful I just started juicing last year in April .I have had a few short breaks here and there since then .This time around is about the longest I have been on just taking test since I started juicing .I had just took AAS orals up until then .Just wanted to try the halo at first after hearing so much about .After I tried it I wished I had tried it sooner .You,re right it gave more aggression during training but I recovered quicker from workout to workout better also .

That was a very good description about how the floor press works .Best I have read yet .I will let you know how the homebrew works later .I slept late and I am just now getting up.

heavies

heavies

Awards
  • Established
That was a very good description about how the floor press works .Best I have read yet .I will let you know how the homebrew works later .I slept late and I am just now getting up.
Thanks Bro.

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
jcp2 ,I apologize for not remarking on your numbers .Those are some pretty impressive numbers there you're pushing up .Since I first replied I got my 3 board press the same as my floor press .This was may second Westside cycle .On the second cycle I could not quite manage to get the same numbers on my floor press like I had done on the first cycle .
I feel like I am hijacking the thread talking about the gear I am doing .But I will try not to go into much detail about my latest hombrew .I tried my first shot of the prop/tren blend this morning in my right glute .The shot was smooth as silk .I did 10 more pounds on my squat this morning .Can't quite give all the credit to the Prop/Tren though since I was pinning bilateral with the TNE from wednesday thru friday last week .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 7
Training Forum 4
fuseven Training Forum 8
zconners Training Forum 3
dds Training Forum 22