My lifts at the Pro King of the Bench 2008 (Video)

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I would be putting this footage up of me lifting at the Pro Bench in Melbourne, Australia. It's a powerlifting event that is held annually. So here it is for anyone interested. The footage has been uploaded to YouTube.

Attempt 1 - 220kg (484lb): There was a half hour wait between warming up and finally benching so we were all pretty cold. I can't remember when the last time was that I missed 220kg but here is an example of what it looks like :)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OtNsW2JG2g"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Attempt 2 - 220kg (484lb): Benched with no dramas this time.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfwOn0ipEM"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Attempt 3 - 240kg (528lb): Was surprised at how easy this lift was. I've never benched it before so didn't know what it was supposed to feel like. But it was good!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJLAAdzm9U"]YouTube - Pro King of the Bench 2008 - Cub - Attempt 3 (240kg)[/ame]

Attempt 4 - 260kg (572lb): I was feeling pretty pumped at this point so I decided to just throw another 20kg (45lb) on the bar and see what would happen. I took it out and it felt good, came down easy enough and went up nice and quick. I got stuck at the lockout and paused for a split second, then kept it going. I had it but the head referee called it so I missed out. I'll hit this weight this year. The reason I look spaced out when I get up is because I burst my left inner ear. I had to go straight to emergency and get cleaned up. All good though.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euPWktgm-vQ"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Overall I was happy with how everything went and I'm looking forward to the next comp!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Damn man thats some awesome weight especially at only 22. How long have you been training for powerlifting? What happened with the ear, just popped some blood vessels fro me the pressure on the final lift (were you holding your breathe or something?)

Was this just a for fun powerlifting or were there places?

Again props bro.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn man thats some awesome weight especially at only 22. How long have you been training for powerlifting? What happened with the ear, just popped some blood vessels fro me the pressure on the final lift (were you holding your breathe or something?)

Was this just a for fun powerlifting or were there places?

Again props bro.
Thanks mate, yes it was for a place. I ended up fourth out of nine with the 240kg bench. The 260kg press would have positioned me second overall, but winner on formula. The winner for the biggest bench was Shaun Bostock who is a 150kg monster benching 300kg! 320kg is his best at a comp though. My ear haemrtomed which is basically bruising, which built up so much and eventually burst on my final lift. I was holding my breath the whole time throughout the lift, you have to!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thanks mate, yes it was for a place. I ended up fourth out of nine with the 240kg bench. The 260kg press would have positioned me second overall, but winner on formula. The winner for the biggest bench was Shaun Bostock who is a 150kg monster benching 300kg! 320kg is his best at a comp though. My ear haemrtomed which is basically bruising, which built up so much and eventually burst on my final lift. I was holding my breath the whole time throughout the lift, you have to!
wow 150 kg with 300 kg lift is monstrous (how old is he?) I never really understood powerrlifting because to me you got the weight up on the final lift, but I guess for safety and such they can't let guys go for ever trying to lock out (even though you did it pretty quickly.)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
:jaw: Dude, that was some sick lifting. If we ever have a disagreement, we'll just assume that you're right.

MADMACH

Awards
great job. Man im new to the site, and these threads/vids are what keeps inspiring me to workout!

Power man!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
What are your raw bench numbers like Cub? how much do those suits help out in regards to extra weight you can bench etc?

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What are your raw bench numbers like Cub? how much do those suits help out in regards to extra weight you can bench etc?
My raw bench is around 170-180kg. If we pre-exhaust on another exercise first, then it will obviously be less. So if you count the 260kg bench (the lockout was all me, the shirt won't help you there), I get around 80kg with the shirt. Keep in mind that shirt is one of the original Metal's that I have been benching with for over 4 years. It is stretched and probably expired 2 years ago but I still think it's got some life left in it! You need to learn how to use a shirt though. You can't just throw one on and bench bigger. It all comes down to the set up. By the way, I'm weighing 98kg now (-8kg from 106), doing cardio *gasp* and eating clean. Wouldn't mind a set of abs :run:

MADMACH

Awards
My raw bench is around 170-180kg. If we pre-exhaust on another exercise first, then it will obviously be less. So if you count the 260kg bench (the lockout was all me, the shirt won't help you there), I get around 80kg with the shirt. Keep in mind that shirt is one of the original Metal's that I have been benching with for over 4 years. It is stretched and probably expired 2 years ago but I still think it's got some life left in it! You need to learn how to use a shirt though. You can't just throw one on and bench bigger. It all comes down to the set up. By the way, I'm weighing 98kg now (-8kg from 106), doing cardio *gasp* and eating clean. Wouldn't mind a set of abs :run:
Those are some very impressive numbers. Man keep up the work, and now that your shedding some weight i can bet your mood will go up pushing you harder!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice benching. So there were no weightclasses? It was just done by formula?

Nice sig :lol:

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Impressive numbers, shirt or no shirt!

I here ya on the abb thing. I hit 115kg last week and realised i was fat, wouldn't mind dropping back to 105kg........finally, we dont have to convert everything to pounds for this backwards folk ha!

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nice benching. So there were no weightclasses? It was just done by formula?

Nice sig :lol:
There's weight class competitions here. They're the ones you must compete in to qualify for this competition. If you bench 200kg+ in one of those competitions you are invited to compete in the Pro Bench.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
My expectations lowered after listening to you Hiroshima so often. :rasp:
That's understandable. I think the problem is that I haven't been drinking for awhile. I'm gonna head off to get a handle of Beam and come back and Daingerfield on your a$$.

Cub, nice lifting bro. What are your raw squat and deadlift numbers? And please get my quote out of your sig.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Cub,
you know you sort of resemble Eminem in your Avi

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Hey Cub,
you know you sort of resemble Eminem in your Avi
Besides of course the fact that Eminem is a skinny little punk, and cub is a beast that probably eats guys like him for breakfast. Literally. High in protein:twisted:

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's understandable. I think the problem is that I haven't been drinking for awhile. I'm gonna head off to get a handle of Beam and come back and Daingerfield on your a$$.

Cub, nice lifting bro. What are your raw squat and deadlift numbers? And please get my quote out of your sig.
You gotta love dry humour :) I have a raw squat of 250kg (550lbs) and a raw deadlift of 260kg (572lbs). As I mentioned in a post earlier, my strength will be suffering at the moment. I have been a cardio whore these past couple of weeks. I haven't touched junk food and I'm losing weight pretty quickly. I'm now 98kg from 106kg, so 90kg should see me at around 10% bodyfat. The belly is disappearing but I feel like a skinny lightweight.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cub, much respect to ya bro. That is impressive stuff man.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Besides of course the fact that Eminem is a skinny little punk, and cub is a beast that probably eats guys like him for breakfast. Literally. High in protein:twisted:
I thought Eminem had turned into a fat recluse?

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
He may very well have, I don't really keep up on things lol

Syn

Awards

Juicers, what can you do? I think it's funny -- keep it in there cub.

Sweet lifts man.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is awesome. Great lifts.

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
All i can say is....Absaloutley awesome!!!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cub, that was impressive my friend. Nice work!!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
with Cubs permission, i am taking my laptop to the gym tonight to watch his videos prior to my max effort upper body training...

jk but Cub is the man... :bb3:

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks boys! Getting tips from Boro's meal log so I can be as big as you two!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks boys! Getting tips from Boro's meal log so I can be as big as you two!
haha thanks buddy.

PS - i nailed a 425x2 reverse avg band bench tonight. damnit.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nice. I just watched Bigger, Stronger, Faster last night. Good to see some of the Westside boys on there. Have you trained with them before? I'd love to go for a bench session one day.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice. I just watched Bigger, Stronger, Faster last night. Good to see some of the Westside boys on there. Have you trained with them before? I'd love to go for a bench session one day.
Its a good movie, informative for the general public.

I have not trained at Westside Barbell although i am only 3 hours away from their facility.

A few people i train with have made the "pilgrimage".

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Its a good movie, informative for the general public.

I have not trained at Westside Barbell although i am only 3 hours away from their facility.

A few people i train with have made the "pilgrimage".
We used to send videos in a few years ago so that Louie could critique our training and give us advice. One video in particular was me lifting out, another couple of guys spotting and my mate board pressing. Louie responded "Why does the guy lifting out have gyno? And you guys are too skinny and ALL need to double your dosage." :lol: I don't think he was too impressed!

I'm so tempted to cross over to the darkside. I want to bench 600lbs first though. The stronger I get without assistance, the stronger I'll be when I jump on!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The stronger I get without assistance, the stronger I'll be when I jump on!
What a hell of a quote. If only people would listen to that. nice!

AND is Louie a practicing doctor now or what? Pharma Tech? Endocrinologist?