Vegan Powerlifter

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
taking into account a proper diet, and supplemental protein(pre/post workout), and other staple supps, can one continue to powerlift and gain strength while on a vegan diet??

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im not on a vegan diet yet, but was considering it if i could still make strength gains. its mostly b/c my wife may want to do it, and i want to support her. this all came about by her reading "Skinny *****", which i also read.the part about the animal butchering is really eye opening.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im not on a vegan diet yet, but was considering it if i could still make strength gains. its mostly b/c my wife may want to do it, and i want to support her. this all came about by her reading "Skinny *****", which i also read.the part about the animal butchering is really eye opening.
I don't know exactly what a vegan entails compared to vegetarian or whatever goes on with that. But if you eat a lot of edamame (like I do, badass stuff) and have other sources of soy you should be fine. Hopefully whey and casein count as vegan? If so, you're good with those 3 sources of protein if you get some enzymes to help you digest those as a non-whole-food-source.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
Vegan can't have any animal products. No eggs or milk. It's way too strict. I'd never do it. You'll have to supplement your diet with so much soy. Animals are too tasty. I don't think they should have to suffer, but even if animals were tortured from the day they were born i'd still eat meat. YUMMY:burger:

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Vegan can't have any animal products. No eggs or milk. It's way too strict. I'd never do it. You'll have to supplement your diet with so much soy. Animals are too tasty. I don't think they should have to suffer, but even if animals were tortured from the day they were born i'd still eat meat. YUMMY:burger:
If anyone cares so much about animals, they should just buy free-range chicken eggs and I guess get meat from a reputable source known for preventing torturous slaughter and living conditions.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
If you are concerned about how animals are treated there are plenty of sources where you can buy animals that lived good lives. These places usually just allow their animals to eat naturally, and don't pump them full of hormones. Its a little more expensive than getting your meat from the grocery, but definately a good choice.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You will still need B-vitamins, and they come from animal sources...sorry vegans.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, i didnt mean a vegan diet, but maybe vegetarian. i with you that meat is to tasty to give up, so id still probobly eat my delicious steaks. i guess what i am talking about here is just cleaning up my diet, mostly veggies/fruits and mabye switching from milk to soy.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, i didnt mean a vegan diet, but maybe vegetarian. i with you that meat is to tasty to give up, so id still probobly eat my delicious steaks. i guess what i am talking about here is just cleaning up my diet, mostly veggies/fruits and mabye switching from milk to soy.
If I were you the only thing I would be absolutely sure never to switch out is milk. I couldn't live without milk.

Mazderati

Awards
Skinny Bish is definitely a good read.

I remember reading a study regarding lifespans and diets. The article concluded that vegetarians have the longest lifespans, being preceded in death by meat-eaters. Interestingly enough, though, the article found that vegans have the shortest lifespans of all.

Druss

Druss

Awards
Skinny Bish is definitely a good read.

I remember reading a study regarding lifespans and diets. The article concluded that vegetarians have the longest lifespans, being preceded in death by meat-eaters. Interestingly enough, though, the article found that vegans have the shortest lifespans of all.
Thats nice to know as a vegy

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I honestly don't think a vegan could make very good gains unless he had tons of money and could buy things like isopure, and could stand soy and eating tons of peanuts and whatnot. And even then, a little too strict IMO.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I dont think vegans could make very good gains at all. Meat, Eggs, Cheese, Milk are part of being a powerlifter. Name me one powerlifting that doesn't engorge on large amounts. If you can name one they're probably no good. sorry but its the truth. MArk

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Mac Danzig (MMA Fighter) is a vegan and he looks pretty good.

I love animals but can't give up eating them, so I eat free range eggs, chicken, and grassfed beef (from local farm)

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, i cant live without meat. im just gonna clean up my diet and try to get better quality meat when i can. i love veggies and their easy to cook. meat is still number one. anyways, since i started eating a 2lb steak on my workout days before bed, my strength has exploded.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
"1,500 lbs at 242 lbs." So thats what guys are totaling with soy protein, and vegetables. Let me show you what the guys eating animals buy the truck load, and drinking beer by the barrel are totaling. Greg Panora 242 World Record total holder of 2600 with a 1,050 squat, 750 bench, and 800 pound deadlift. See meat does make a difference. :stick:

Mazderati

Awards
The consumption of meat may make a significant difference in weights lifted, but that in no way detracts from the success of those vegan powerlifters. A 1,500 pound total is more than respectable.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
Isn't that a contradiction of terms...vegan powerlifter ?

I mean most have trouble carrying a Moby CD around.

But seriously, the vegans I do know play Xbox and campaign for Obama. The last thing on their minds is deadlifting.

I'm just sayin'

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i do think 1195 is a respectable total. i found out in 04' i had a testosterone level of 190(scale 250-1100). just over a year i have been stable and finally starting to make gains. im hoping for 500 dead and squat by end of year and a 400 bench as well.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I am not 100% sure on this but I am sure someone else with more knowledge could help. But I believe with calorie restriction, and low fat diets testerone goes down. Also with all the heavy trainng your doing, you tear your body down, put stress on it, and lower trace amounts of vitamins that your body needs to function. Bottom line you need to eat meat, its stupid not to, if you want to be a healthy male. I was more or less joking with you about my second post. A 1200 total is a solid total. If you work hard and add meat. Im confident youll see your total rise before your eyes. Best of luck to you. Mark