Meet nutrition and supplementation- how to?

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i have attended a couple of meets as a spectator, and hopefully in late June I will be competing in one. I was curious how you guys handle nutrition and supplementation on meet day, given that it really takes several hours to make it through all three events.

for example, currently I am doing for prew/o Clout w/BodyOctane, Hemodraulix, RPM and a testbooster, intraw/o I drink IntraBolic w/Xtend and WMS. The effects of this prew/o stack will probably not extend past the first event, would I repeat it later (or a diluted version of)....

As for food, that's something I really want to hear how you guys handle, I get weak when I get hungry....

As always, advice appreciated

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Feels like I asked the Forbidden Question....

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I tired taking supplements during a meet (or before), and it didnt really help since it dragged on. I've only been to 2 meets, but I know what your dealing with.

I would pack protein shakes, water, turkey and tuna sandwhiches along with some oats and maybe fruit. I hear ya on being weak when your hungry. I hate it.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i am going to try the following:

PBJs with bananas on Ezequiel bread, cut in halves
Jug of Intrabolic with BCAAs and some WMS
Jug of NosEther with some WMS

Still trying to sort out how I will supplement.

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
Try the 2 doses a month b 4 to c how u react to it....
As for food.....:hot: eat what you like nothing new.
Eat 2hrs b 4 first lift and then right after squat & bench.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
If it's a full meet I echo what the others are saying. Eat a big (but normal) breakfast, lots of carbs. I bring a few quarts of gatorade with me, and simple plain food such as bananas, peanut butter & jelly sandwhiches, etc.

I don't really like taking stims, so ephedrine/caffeine, etc isn't a concern for me. However, when I did take stims, I would take a half dose before my squat, if I needed it before the bench, and once again before the dead if I needed it. It's easy to get over stimulated and have that negatively impact your performance. You'll be pretty wound up just from being there!

As far as creatine, etc, I'd take a normal dose with breakfast and I would probably not worry about it for the rest of the day. It's not really a supplement that you have to "replenish" after your first attempt. In fact, the couple times I did take some extra to see what it would do for me, extra cramps is all I got. Stick to what you usually do and what you know. Trust your training.

One more thing. If you don't have to cut to make weight (so much nicer), the night before eat like a viking. Make it look like carbs and sodium are going out of style. The bigger you are and more water you retain on meet day, typically the stronger you'll be. Once more though, don't just start doing random stuff that you've never tried before. You should be starting to do this before your heavy days way before the actual competition date. Good luck.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
... Trust your training.

One more thing. If you don't have to cut to make weight (so much nicer), the night before eat like a viking. Make it look like carbs and sodium are going out of style. The bigger you are and more water you retain on meet day, typically the stronger you'll be. Once more though, don't just start doing random stuff that you've never tried before. You should be starting to do this before your heavy days way before the actual competition date. Good luck.
that struck home, THANKS!!! I am really confident on what i want to accomplish for my squat and DL, the bench is the one that worries me and that is not good... training says I should hit what i want to hit, just need to trust what i have accomplished so far.

on the carb part, i have been kinda loading for the last 10days or so but for a totally different reason. i have been feeling under the weather, everyone at home is sick with a cold, but AP and carb-loading have helped me stay strong, been doing sushi every day for lunch with brown rice and lots of soy sauce, and omelettes with hash browns just about every morning. I will definitely hit the good carbs friday night and saturday morning, thanks for the advice. (weight is not a problem, i fluctuate between 232-236 and will compete at 242)

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I'll usually bring some Gatorade and Pedialyte because I tend to cramp like a sum*****, plus a few PB&Js and some water. Then I eat like a horse after the meet.

I'm also going to bring a small ice chest full of ice to put my hands in after bench so that they don't swell like they did last time. :rant:

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excerpt from "Diets Designed for Athletes" by Maryann Karinch

Brian Neese, Strongman - 320lbs
Sample Competition Day

Pre-Comp:
Oatmeal and Fruit ("as much as i can stomach")
Creatine 5g
Glutamine 5g
BCAA 5g

Immediately before each event
3-4 capsules of AndroBlast
Lots of water

A final insight from Bryan on eating for strongman contests: "You'll puke if you eat anything very close to a contest."

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
PBJs with bananas on Ezequiel bread, cut in halves
Jug of Intrabolic with BCAAs and some WMS
Jug of NosEther with some WMS
haha, just had to single that part out, thought it was kinda funny

Although I've never been to powerlifting meet, I think it's basically similiar for all major physical events - do what you normally do. It's when you go out of your normal routine when unexpected things happen. IMO, following your habitual daily diet, as closely as possible, would bring the most favorable conditions. Personally, when I'm at ease, I can perform at my best... going with anything out of the ordinary sometimes just doesn't cooperate.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
I was just thinking I could just eat a half at a time and judge my response... in retrospect sounds a little childish, at least I didn't trim the crust....

i ended up doing the pbjs with gatorade, and a couple of bananas. i did the bcaa/intrabolic/wms mix too but ended up drinking more of the gatorade that my mix, maybe next meet I'll try gatorade with bcaas. I'll also need more than three pbjs...

as for the supps, i split my pre-workout pill combo over three doses, taking each before my warmups. i took minimal stims as the excitement kept me on edge the whole competition.

thanks for all the suggestions!!