Powerlifting Training Styles

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I thought I would start a thread about different training style for Powerlifting. This thread can help younger, and novice lifters to different training styles. One of the most important factors in powerlifting is knowing your weaknesses and how to fix them. A major factor in powerlifting is knowing what works for you training wise. Plus the powerlifting board is dead compared to the SUPPLEMENT board. Mark

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
The First style of training is Sheiko. The man came up with the style of training name is Boris Sheiko. Its very high volume, and you train the main 3 lifts several times a week. It is a great training style for building a raw base. There is many different templates from intermediate to advanced lifters. This style is very widely used in the IPF. Most of the lifters that follow this style of training are from Russia, and eastern Europe. The Russains, and the eastern Europeans don't believe in assistance lifts. The train the 3 main lifts squat, bench, and deadlift three times a week. They train at over 80%. These lifts become second nature to them. They work on executing perfect form. A popular American USAPL powerlifters follow this training style such as Wade Hooper. Here is a link-

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=54819&tid=138

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
The second style isn't really a style but more of a cycle. Its name is the Smolov squat routine. Beware this is no Puzzy squat routine. It was made by a Russian Powerlifting coach. It is said to be able to add you 100 pounds to your squat in 13 weeks. If you can make threw the whole 13 weeks, then you have a accomplished what few have had the heart to do. Here is a link-

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
The next is Gradual Periodization, or Western Periodization. This style is more widely popular in the United States, and was made famous by great lifters such as Ed Coan, Mike Bridges, Shane Hamman, Kirk Karwoski, and O.D. Wilson. This style of training is you start out with lighter weight, and higher reps. Then gradually over time you drop the reps, and increase the weight. Then by the time a meet is close your doing heavy triples. This way you hit your peak only a week, or two before the meet. Then maybe your hit your opener the next week. Then the meet is here. Here is the links-

Squat Routine
http://www.powerpage.net/coansquat.html

Deadlift Routine
http://www.powerpage.net/coanphildead.html

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys I got more coming... West Side, Metal Militia, Progressive overload, more Russian style training, and Periodization.
I hope this thread can help people, and give them some knowledge on different training style. If you have routines please post them, and add what style of training it is. Thanks before hand. I want to make this powerlifting form as good as some others on the net. MArk

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Excellent Thread Mark!

This could be a good sticky once it gets all the way flushed out

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
very nice to see the other training styles I can incorporate and tailor to my needs. I ususually base off of the starting strength madcow 5x5, and rotate with westside for skinny bastards.

the 5x5 has different levels, for linear periodization, and then an advanced version for more cyclical approach that can be altered for mini cycles that comprise the overall macro cyle plan.

the skinny westside has been great for overall strength to the point where i can increase my overall athletic ability. Not a pure powerlifting approach, but a nice hybrid for someone that wants to apply powerlifting techniques to wide athletic application.
WS4SB part III

madcow 5x5

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I have some more information coming. Its being emailed to me so it may take a few days but this thread is far from being over. mark

poppa flex

Awards
great thread to put up man!
ill chime in on this board to keep it goin!

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you got any for bench press?

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
btw im def gonna give that smolov squats cycle a go, right after i shed off a few more lbs!

poppa flex

Awards
raw work would look something like 2 days a week dedicated to the bench
1 speed day for raw lifting
1 board/full range day

tris both days
upper back ,shoulders

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you train in a shirt?or raw?
if you are talking to me, well i have never even seen a shirt...lol, ive only heard that it helps people lift like 100's of lbs more than they can really lift. it sounds pretty gay imho!

poppa flex

Awards
well if your gonna compete man you have to wear a shirt!bc you will compete against other people in shirts!unless you go raw!
lifting with shirts are great man!i like it because im alwasy using alot more weight then i could raw and when i go to max my raw bench out my body is used to handling a **** load more weight and my raw bench goes up!
its all technique man!you dont just put a shirt on and go up 100lbs!you have to know how and what your doing or you could seriously hurt yourself!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
if you are talking to me, well i have never even seen a shirt...lol, ive only heard that it helps people lift like 100's of lbs more than they can really lift. it sounds pretty gay imho!
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not hating on people that use shirts, because it's become part of the sport, and you must use one to be competitive. I just wish they were never invented. It makes the most difficult part of the lift easy. It makes all the old great lifters look crappy in comparison. Why not just have a forklift lift the weight for you. Again, not hating on people that wear gear, I just wish it was never invented. That's why I love the deadlift. I don't think a suit will ever be developed that will help the deadlift that much.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not hating on people that use shirts, because it's become part of the sport, and you must use one to be competitive. I just wish they were never invented. It makes the most difficult part of the lift easy. It makes all the old great lifters look crappy in comparison. Why not just have a forklift lift the weight for you. Again, not hating on people that wear gear, I just wish it was never invented. That's why I love the deadlift. I don't think a suit will ever be developed that will help the deadlift that much.

Society demands that in sports athlete run faster, hit harder, throw a ball faster. The demand for athletes to push there limits past they're genetic potential is very demanding, why do you think we have steroids in sports. Gear in powerlifting is the same, people want to see bigger squats, bench presses, and deadlifts. I mean you dont knock football players for wearing helemets, but back in the day they wore leather made protective head gear, do you not think this has an impact on injury's, and concussions. Next what about shoes Jesses Owens didnt have a $300 pair of Nikes to run in back in the 40's. So does that make the guys today not as good because they have better shoes? Powerlifting gear in a whole has done great things for powerlifting. If you dont compete then you dont understand, PERIOD. Mark

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Society demands that in sports athlete run faster, hit harder, throw a ball faster. The demand for athletes to push there limits past they're genetic potential is very demanding, why do you think we have steroids in sports. Gear in powerlifting is the same, people want to see bigger squats, bench presses, and deadlifts. I mean you dont knock football players for wearing helemets, but back in the day they wore leather made protective head gear, do you not think this has an impact on injury's, and concussions. Next what about shoes Jesses Owens didnt have a $300 pair of Nikes to run in back in the 40's. So does that make the guys today not as good because they have better shoes? Powerlifting gear in a whole has done great things for powerlifting. If you dont compete then you dont understand, PERIOD. Mark
What part am I not understanding due to not competing in gear? I'm pretty sure it's not too difficult to grasp, gear helps the bottom portion of the lift tremendously, PERIOD. Alex. Don't take it as a personal attack, I understand you have to wear gear to stay competitive. Comparing a pair of sneakers that have a very slight difference, to a squat suit which can help take 250+ pounds out of the bottom of the lift is ridiculous. I just think it's gone too far. Why wouldn't you want to have a test of strength in it's truest form without having a suit assist you? If basketball players start wearing some sort of springs in their shoes to help them jump a foot higher, I'll be opposed to that as well.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
"I'm pretty sure it's not too difficult to grasp, gear helps the bottom portion of the lift tremendously, PERIOD."

I dont think your qualified to make that statement, since that you have never worn gear, what makes your opinion creditable. Why dosent everyone that puts on gear not get great carryover?

"I just think it's gone too far."

You didnt compete in the 80's back when gear wasnt as popular, or as supportive. Nor do you compete now. The greats of powerlifting Ed Coan, Mike Bridges, Kirk Karwoski, O.D. Wilson, Shane Hamman, Jon Kuc dont complain about powerlifting gear, so why are you??

Have you ever been to a Powerlifting meet??

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
"I'm pretty sure it's not too difficult to grasp, gear helps the bottom portion of the lift tremendously, PERIOD."

I dont think your qualified to make that statement, since that you have never worn gear, what makes your opinion creditable. Why dosent everyone that puts on gear get great carryover?
Sure, you have a better understanding of the intricacies of powerlifting gear, but that doesn't mean my opinion isn't credible as far as understanding the basic purpose of gear. Am I wrong? It helps the bottom portion of the lift, correct? What am I missing. Not that it matters, but I have friends that are powerlifters and I have used their gear. It made the bottom of the lift much easier, as I had known it would. Peoples carryover's depend on getting the right suit, the right fit, and learning the suit.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Alexander has benched in a shirt before and I think DLed in suit if I remember correctly. I think it's dumb too. I've watched a guy not be able to touch 765 in a shirt. :wtf: If the shirt is doing all the pushing at the bottom and you're just controlling the path, is it really a bench press? It's unfortunately a part of the sport and isn't going anywhere because the sponsors sell the gear. I'm not really trying to hate anyone that uses gear either because it's a requirement of the sport.

A few guys lately have broken their arms because their bones can't support the wieght that the shirt allows them to work with. REgardless, it takes giant balls to get under the huge weights that the shirts and suits allow.

Edit: Alex defended himself already. Dang! I got your back though, please see me winking in my avatar :eek:

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Sure, you have a better understanding of the intricacies of powerlifting gear, but that doesn't mean my opinion isn't credible as far as understanding the basic purpose of gear. Am I wrong? It helps the bottom portion of the lift, correct? What am I missing. Not that it matters, but I have friends that are powerlifters and I have used their gear. It made the bottom of the lift much easier, as I had known it would. Peoples carryover's depend on getting the right suit, the right fit, and learning the suit.

You are correct that is the basically how gear works. Your last statement is very true. Back in the olden days powerlifing was about 100% strength, today its 50% strength, 50% skill in gear. Aruge about whatever you want but that is the way it is. I personally am for gear, you two arent that is fine. I respect both of your opinions. But neither of you compete so its in no way directly effecting either of you. So What does it really matter?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Alexander has benched in a shirt before and I think DLed in suit if I remember correctly. I think it's dumb too. I've watched a guy not be able to touch 765 in a shirt. :wtf: If the shirt is doing all the pushing at the bottom and you're just controlling the path, is it really a bench press? It's unfortunately a part of the sport and isn't going anywhere because the sponsors sell the gear. I'm not really trying to hate anyone that uses gear either because it's a requirement of the sport.

A few guys lately have broken their arms because their bones can't support the wieght that the shirt allows them to work with. REgardless, it takes giant balls to get under the huge weights that the shirts and suits allow.

Edit: Alex defended himself already. Dang! I got your back though, please see me winking in my avatar :eek:
Can you please start randomly entering threads and sweating me, like Trauma and Tripdog. Ooooohhh.

BTW, this post touched me, Rock Hard:blink:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Can you please start randomly entering threads and sweating me, like Trauma and Tripdog. Ooooohhh.

BTW, this post touched me, Rock Hard:blink:
After that brutal ownage Mullet put on you a few days ago, I thought someone needed to back you up. :twisted: Plus I'm all about the rawdoggery.

poppa flex

Awards
wow sorry i created this big mess with raw and shirts

turbopugsleyl

Awards
to be honest with ya....My high school had a powerlifting team and it took me to state, national, and world championships....we were using a simple but older program called Bigger faster stronger...they have a book and a PC program...find it and pic it up...it was an awesome progression program...my squat went from 155 never squatting before to 400 or so by by junior year...deads and bench were also up a bunch....and I was using nothing but a multi, protein and creatine...

turbopugsleyl

Awards
to be honest with you I competed in the late nineties and all we had were rudimentary bench shirts and squat suits...the bench shirt would help MAYBE 15 lbs...the squat suit maybe 15....the stuff today though is REDICULOUS....I have seen guys benchs go from the 500 range raw to the 700s with a shirt...the freakin dude couldn't even under 700lbs of weight lower that bar to his chest he had to force the weight down to his chest just to get it to touch...

I am not an advocate of raw...cause that gets you more injuries..but simple squat suits and bench shirts are needed, not the stuff today ....its insane!

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
to be honest with ya....My high school had a powerlifting team and it took me to state, national, and world championships....we were using a simple but older program called Bigger faster stronger...they have a book and a PC program...find it and pic it up...it was an awesome progression program...my squat went from 155 never squatting before to 400 or so by by junior year...deads and bench were also up a bunch....and I was using nothing but a multi, protein and creatine...

What federation did you lift under, and what world championship did you go to?? Also what high school did you go to, and what weight class. I have heard of BFS, and I personally think its a joke. But if it worked for you, great.

turbopugsleyl

Awards
USAPL, WPF, and USPF, St. Mary's Ryken HS in MD.....I believe I was in the 230ish weight classes, I honestly can't remember.....Dude BFS was awesome....its not some new hyper-plasma-molecular-periodization program...sometimes you got to go back to basics and thats what BFS was....Bench and Squat on Mon and Friday and DL on Weds...it had 3 rep maxes and 1RM scattered throughout the program for you to go for...if you hit them...get a new program printed out and new weights...to keep progressing...

turbopugsleyl

Awards
World Championship was WPF in Las Vegas 1999...you can find the book on amazon for prolly under a dollar its a good...back to basics program..simple and effective..

turbopugsleyl

Awards
Quote Meh89 in a PM:

"SOrry bro, but I am calling bull**** on this one. I am very curious to what world championship you went to??" Mark

You can call BS on me, why would I have any reason to lie on here? I went to a Catholic High school who had no football team, and instead had a powerlifiting team....I have trophies sitting on my plackard .....

1997 and 1998 Maryland State Championships 1st Place Men's junior(USPF)....

1999 High School National and Junior National USPF April 24 and 25 Philadelphia PA...First place in both catagories....

1st Place 1999 USAPL Eastern Regionals, mens Junior

1st Place WPF 1999 World Championships, December 1999, Las Vegas Nevada, The Plaza Hotel...Ed Coan was there I have pics of me and him...they also misloaded the bar for him by over 50 lbs and and he nearly ripped his knees out of socket....

So If you want to call BS go ahead...but one thing I have noticed about you and every other person I interview on a daily basis, they feel a need to cut down on other peoples accomplishments and ambitions to raise their low Self Image and feelings of Self Worth....that are the only type of people who feel a need to cut others down and their accomplishments down...quit fooling yourself...

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
"they feel a need to cut down on other peoples accomplishments and ambitions to raise their low Self Image and feelings of Self Worth."

You're an idiot. why would I care what you think of me? First off I don't even now you show how would your opinion of me, have an bearing on the way I feel? Next, I am just saying alot of people come on these board and make fake clams. I just asked you what school, and things you went to. I am sorry if "I am calling bs" hurt your feelings. I wasn't trying to degrade you, or your accomplishments in any way. Good Day. What was your total at worlds? Mark

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
is this thread going to be completed..... Im interested in hearing about all the different training programs.... and as for shirts and raw, most of the shirted benchers can also out bench the raw benchers in the same weight class, in case you havent heard Scott Mendelson is a shirt bencher and also has the biggest raw bench ever recorded.... shawn frankl hit an 855 at 198, so Im guessing that he could probly hit near 600 raw

chuebner

Awards
Quote Meh89 in a PM:

"SOrry bro, but I am calling bull**** on this one. I am very curious to what world championship you went to??" Mark

You can call BS on me, why would I have any reason to lie on here? I went to a Catholic High school who had no football team, and instead had a powerlifiting team....I have trophies sitting on my plackard .....

1997 and 1998 Maryland State Championships 1st Place Men's junior(USPF)....

1999 High School National and Junior National USPF April 24 and 25 Philadelphia PA...First place in both catagories....

1st Place 1999 USAPL Eastern Regionals, mens Junior

1st Place WPF 1999 World Championships, December 1999, Las Vegas Nevada, The Plaza Hotel...Ed Coan was there I have pics of me and him...they also misloaded the bar for him by over 50 lbs and and he nearly ripped his knees out of socket....

So If you want to call BS go ahead...but one thing I have noticed about you and every other person I interview on a daily basis, they feel a need to cut down on other peoples accomplishments and ambitions to raise their low Self Image and feelings of Self Worth....that are the only type of people who feel a need to cut others down and their accomplishments down...quit fooling yourself...
Does that mean you were called out in a PM???