wtf am I such a puss on incline?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I never do incline anything except db's. I train westside style and have been using floor press, close grip, regular grip plus minis, chains, and lockouts. I have weak triceps so I have been concentrating on them. Everything is going well and my bench is back up to 390lbs and the highest I had was 405. Anyway My training partner didn't show so I riged up an incline with some boards in my squat rack so I could use the catches. I almost got stuck with 315. My question is do you think this weakness is hurting my regular bench. I was thinking if I bring up my incline maybe I can shoot past my best flat bench of 405lbs. I'm I in the right line of thinking here or would inclines be a waste of time for me. I usualy get stuck 2/3 of the way up on regular bench.

poppa flex

Awards
im also very weak at incline man!
my bench is 365
my decline is 375
incline is maybe 185
haha
from what people told me incline is pretty use less for a bigger bench.so i dont nowhat to tell ya

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm not really a powerlifter, but I trained only log press, standing military, and did one heavy triple of incline per week for about 6 months (maybe did flat bench 1 time during the whole period) and my flat bench went up a fair amount so there may be some benefit in putting some time in on the incline. I think a few guys in the training forum have done close grip inclines in their bench routine.

Congealed

Congealed

Awards
I think front delts are almost everyone's weak point in the bench press. I can lockout 485 Bench, but I can't bench it. At the bottom of the bench it's a bunch of front delts. Most people compensate for their weak delts by bouncing through the bottom of the lift to the top of the range where they're stronger. I can do 275 Incline Bench for sets of 8. I can do Seated Shoulder Presses at 205 for 6, seated dbells 90's for 6. It's not enough. You need more to get over 405 bench. More deltoid. I've seen people do seated military of over 300 lbs for reps. You have to take drugs. Face it. If you get a natural, unsuited bench into the mid to high 400's I want to hear about it - but I also doubt you will.

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my best bench max so far is 410 @ 18...i failed 420 half way up 1 month ago. im 19 now 6'1 240 i think i can get close to 435 now. im natural and dont use any gear. ill let you know when i hit 465, im guess some time over the summer.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I've always been the opposite! I could max out around 385 on incline but only about 320 on flat. Before I really started hammering flats the gap was even wider! I think some of it has to due with individual body mechanics/genetics. I've always had fragile shoulders so I used to not do flats at all. Weird though how a 30 degree incline can make so much of a difference though eh?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
my best bench max so far is 410 @ 18...i failed 420 half way up 1 month ago. im 19 now 6'1 240 i think i can get close to 435 now. im natural and dont use any gear. ill let you know when i hit 465, im guess some time over the summer.
:jaw:

RyanOFelt

Awards
There are some videos on Youtube called Packer Strength Power Lifting. Its a highschool team, so just a bunch of football players, and one kid at 18 years old squats 600, benchs 430, and cleans 335. I was blown away.

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
whereas everyone's weakpoint on this thread it seems is incline, mine would be military press itself. Any shoulder exercise that involves dumbells, hammer strength i'm fine. But put a bar in my hands that has to go up and i'm screwed. Not so much bench, but Military. Since we're discussing front delts, could those be my problem here?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
There are some videos on Youtube called Packer Strength Power Lifting. Its a highschool team, so just a bunch of football players, and one kid at 18 years old squats 600, benchs 430, and cleans 335. I was blown away.
i just watched a bunch of their vids. Unbeleiveable. it was embarassing watching that. So much stronger then i am. How old is a "freshman"....the skinny dude cleaned 235.

and a 16yr old benched 435! he must have weighed 200 max.