Resistance bands on pressing movements - AnabolicMinds.com

Resistance bands on pressing movements

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.

Resistance bands on pressing movements

I am curious about this powerlifting training technique, that of attaching resistance bands to the ends of the barbell for the bench press. i can see how it can make the exercise more challenging, but what do you get out of it that you wouldn't by just increasing the weight/reps?

2. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by rxp1997 View Post
    I am curious about this powerlifting training technique, that of attaching resistance bands to the ends of the barbell for the bench press. i can see how it can make the exercise more challenging, but what do you get out of it that you wouldn't by just increasing the weight/reps?
    Go to www.westside-barbell.com, go to the articles section and READ. Their is so much to using bands and chains and more importantly why, it is best to just take a day or two and park in front of the computer.
  3. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation

For one thing most are much stronger at the top of the movement. The band changes the strength curve so you have to grind out the weight instead of working hard at the bottom and having an easy lockout. Its also great at increaseing speed. I recommend trying them even if you don't do powerlifting. It would still be benefical. Just don't go overboard because bands can be tough on elbows and shoulders.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.

Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.

Jstrong, how much weight should I back off if I wanted to add some bads to my flat and incline benches? (in case there is a rule of thumb)

to all, thanks, will definitely look more into it, appreciate the web references.
  6. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation

mini bands doubled up will add about 40lbs of resistance at the bottom and 80-90 at the top. It will depend on your strength curve. My freind has a strong lockout so he can use a higher percentage of his max than I can. I'm strong of the chest but have a week lockout. I would start with 50-60lbs less bar weight and see how it goes. It won't take long to find exactley how much weight you need to subtract to match the rep scheme you would use with free weights.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I read about that in a mag before too. I can't find any studys to support the theorys behind it 100%. Looks great but is it that much better than with out bands/chains? I mean the link I am reading right now has to many opinions ether or. I may start next week trying it out.
  8. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    mini bands doubled up will add about 40lbs of resistance at the bottom and 80-90 at the top. It will depend on your strength curve. My freind has a strong lockout so he can use a higher percentage of his max than I can. I'm strong of the chest but have a week lockout. I would start with 50-60lbs less bar weight and see how it goes. It won't take long to find exactley how much weight you need to subtract to match the rep scheme you would use with free weights.
    I agree, but personally for the first few drop it by percentage. Say you push 200, drop it down to 150 to start. Probably a good 25%. I only say that because with bands the pressing dynamic is alot different, and will want to get used to it before you have a bar, and bands wanting to eat your chest alive.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Do I use a plate or a dumbell to hold the band?
  10. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Do I use a plate or a dumbell to hold the band?
    I put a 60 and 55 on each side of the bench, then wrap em around the handles. Gives me the perfect distance.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

On the floor what do you use to hold the bands?
  12. Board Sponsor

On the floor what do you use to hold the bands?
    Oooops, I meant to say a 55 and 60 pd dumbbell on each side.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Will have to try that next week. I bench 205 right now. Need to figure out how much lbs of resistance my gym has.
  14. Board Sponsor

Will have to try that next week. I bench 205 right now. Need to figure out how much lbs of resistance my gym has.
    If they are at your gym, they are probably stretched to hell... Try picking up a pair of the light ones. Not to expensive and can be used for alot more, like squats, and dead lift (If they have the band platform)

Adams:squat:
    The Historic PES Legend
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Who makes quality ones or are they all the same?
  16. Board Sponsor

You can pick up some at elitefts.com ... Along with a ton other good ****... I personally like the blast straps they have... makes for some interesting exercises.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

found this.

Light, Medium & Heavy Resistance Bands in chunky black mesh bag with auto-lock drawstring. Each band has 2 foam grip handles with web strapping and woven logo. Incredibly useful for dozens of exercises that add muscular endurance and upper body tone. Light Band about 3-5 pounds of resistance Medium Band about 8 pounds of resistance Heavy Band about 12 pounds resistance.
  18. Senior Member

found this.

Light, Medium & Heavy Resistance Bands in chunky black mesh bag with auto-lock drawstring. Each band has 2 foam grip handles with web strapping and woven logo. Incredibly useful for dozens of exercises that add muscular endurance and upper body tone. Light Band about 3-5 pounds of resistance Medium Band about 8 pounds of resistance Heavy Band about 12 pounds resistance.
    Not the right bands for the big three. Try elitefts, or jumpstretch.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

Speed work with bands and X-Vest.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench Press movement
    By firedoghfd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
  2. The real deal on resistance bands....
    By 1wickd6 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM
  3. Workout Resistance Bands??
    By Hollidae in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM
  5. Tris Are Giving out on Pressing Movements
    By Beowulf in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7