Resistance bands on pressing movements

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
I am curious about this powerlifting training technique, that of attaching resistance bands to the ends of the barbell for the bench press. i can see how it can make the exercise more challenging, but what do you get out of it that you wouldn't by just increasing the weight/reps?

GH10

Awards
I am curious about this powerlifting training technique, that of attaching resistance bands to the ends of the barbell for the bench press. i can see how it can make the exercise more challenging, but what do you get out of it that you wouldn't by just increasing the weight/reps?
Go to www.westside-barbell.com, go to the articles section and READ. Their is so much to using bands and chains and more importantly why, it is best to just take a day or two and park in front of the computer.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For one thing most are much stronger at the top of the movement. The band changes the strength curve so you have to grind out the weight instead of working hard at the bottom and having an easy lockout. Its also great at increaseing speed. I recommend trying them even if you don't do powerlifting. It would still be benefical. Just don't go overboard because bands can be tough on elbows and shoulders.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Jstrong, how much weight should I back off if I wanted to add some bads to my flat and incline benches? (in case there is a rule of thumb)

to all, thanks, will definitely look more into it, appreciate the web references.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
mini bands doubled up will add about 40lbs of resistance at the bottom and 80-90 at the top. It will depend on your strength curve. My freind has a strong lockout so he can use a higher percentage of his max than I can. I'm strong of the chest but have a week lockout. I would start with 50-60lbs less bar weight and see how it goes. It won't take long to find exactley how much weight you need to subtract to match the rep scheme you would use with free weights.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I read about that in a mag before too. I can't find any studys to support the theorys behind it 100%. Looks great but is it that much better than with out bands/chains? I mean the link I am reading right now has to many opinions ether or. I may start next week trying it out.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mini bands doubled up will add about 40lbs of resistance at the bottom and 80-90 at the top. It will depend on your strength curve. My freind has a strong lockout so he can use a higher percentage of his max than I can. I'm strong of the chest but have a week lockout. I would start with 50-60lbs less bar weight and see how it goes. It won't take long to find exactley how much weight you need to subtract to match the rep scheme you would use with free weights.
I agree, but personally for the first few drop it by percentage. Say you push 200, drop it down to 150 to start. Probably a good 25%. I only say that because with bands the pressing dynamic is alot different, and will want to get used to it before you have a bar, and bands wanting to eat your chest alive.

Adams

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do I use a plate or a dumbell to hold the band?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
On the floor what do you use to hold the bands?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Will have to try that next week. I bench 205 right now. Need to figure out how much lbs of resistance my gym has.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Will have to try that next week. I bench 205 right now. Need to figure out how much lbs of resistance my gym has.
If they are at your gym, they are probably stretched to hell... Try picking up a pair of the light ones. Not to expensive and can be used for alot more, like squats, and dead lift (If they have the band platform)

Adams:squat:

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Who makes quality ones or are they all the same?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can pick up some at elitefts.com ... Along with a ton other good ****... I personally like the blast straps they have... makes for some interesting exercises.

Adams

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
found this.

Light, Medium & Heavy Resistance Bands in chunky black mesh bag with auto-lock drawstring. Each band has 2 foam grip handles with web strapping and woven logo. Incredibly useful for dozens of exercises that add muscular endurance and upper body tone. Light Band about 3-5 pounds of resistance Medium Band about 8 pounds of resistance Heavy Band about 12 pounds resistance.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
found this.

Light, Medium & Heavy Resistance Bands in chunky black mesh bag with auto-lock drawstring. Each band has 2 foam grip handles with web strapping and woven logo. Incredibly useful for dozens of exercises that add muscular endurance and upper body tone. Light Band about 3-5 pounds of resistance Medium Band about 8 pounds of resistance Heavy Band about 12 pounds resistance.
Not the right bands for the big three. Try elitefts, or jumpstretch.