Phill

Awards
USP Labs Presents:

A North American Strongman Inc. Sanctioned Event

“Lift For Hope”
Phyllis Stevens Memorial
Topeka’s Strongest Man

Date: February 9th 2008

Place: Kansas Expocentre, R.R. Domer Show Arena; Topeka Ks.
Kansas Expocentre

Lift for Hope is a Memorial / Charity Contest with 100% of the profit going to Camp Hope an American Cancer Society, a unique week long wilderness camp for children ages 4-18 who have, or are currently, battling cancer. The American Cancer Society funds the camp which is going into its 26th year as of 2008. Camp Hope is set affront from other such camps in that it is accredited by the American Camp Association. It is the only camp for children with cancer that has physicians and medical directors on hand 24/7 allowing even children currently battling cancer and undergoing treatments to join in and enjoy the camp along side those in remission. Fore more info on Camp Hope: ACS :: Children's Camps – Camp Hope

Level: Gold
Weigh-ins: 6-8 PM Capital Plaza Hotel Friday 8th or morning of the event
Rules Meeting approx 9AM
Competition Starts at 10:AM
Hotel: Capitol Plaza Hotel

Events
-Harolds Tire Axle Press For Reps
clean each rep, 60 seconds, no stuffing / bulking the belts
Weights : LW 200lbs
MW 230lbs
HW 250lbs
Womens 100lbs

-Wessel Rule Deadlift
Straps, belts and suits allowed

- Marketing Promotions Sand Bag Load and Wheel Barrow Medley
The contestants will load 5 implements and then push the loaded Wheel Barrow 60 feet, 60 seconds
Weights: LW = 3- 100lb bags, 2-200lb bags
MW = 5-200lb bags
HW = 5-200lb Bags
Womens - 2-50lb bags, 3-100 lb bags

-Browns Super Service Truck / Wrecker Pull
Masters, Lightweight and Middleweight = 12,000 lb wrecker
Heavy Weight = Wrecker plus a Jeep Roughly 15,000 Lbs
Womens = Jeep
60 feet, 75 seconds, Harness and guide rope.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MOVING EVENTS!!!!
The venue is a compacted dirt floor bring proper foot wear for the event

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MOVING EVENTS!!!!
The venue is a compacted dirt floor bring proper foot wear for the event

Classes:
Mens lightweight up to 200
Middle weight up to 265
Heavy weight 266+
Masters
Womens ( entry dependent, step up ladies)

Entry Fees $50
Must Have A Current NAS Card (will be available the day of the meet)
Capped at first 45 entries

ENTRY Must Be Post Marked by Jan 21st, 2008
All Entries are Non refundable
LATE ENTRIES will not be accepted and any late post marks will be returned to the sender

Entries
http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/topeka.pdf

Contest Director: Phillip Stevens
1700 sw Buchanan
Topeka Ks, 66604
785-221-2275
Email: [email protected]

A Huge thank you to the Sponsors Please take a minute to view their sites.

Primary Sponsor:
USP Labs
USPLabs Direct

Event sponsors:
Harolds Tire
Browns Super Service
Marketing Promotions Marketing Promotions Inc - Home

General:
Eric Cressey / Cressey Performance, What can Eric Cressey do for you?
Ironmind Captains of Crush hand grippers, weight training equipment for strength athletes – IronMind
Kansas Automotive
Van Antwerp Pottery Van Antwerp Pottery
Brass Rail Tavern
Reuters Shoes
Fitness-I Fitness-I - Index
Hogans Muffler and Brake
PT's Coffee
Wetmore National Bank
Slater Stone Home
BS Olympic Gym BS Olympic Gym - York Barbell, Strongman Equipment, Plyometrice Exercise, Key Alliance, Recumbent Exercise Bikes and more
Quizno's
CD Tradepost
Jersey Mikes Subs
Advanced Fitness, Inc. Advanced Fitness, Inc. Presents our Manta Ray, Sting Ray and other fitness/exercise equipment

Phill

Phill

Awards
I made an edit on the events, the medley. I changed it from a rickshaw load and pull to a wheel barrow push. Made the change for a few reasons.

#1 there is already a truck pull so pushing something changes it up a bit

#2 Cost / Ease I have yet to sell this event to a sponsor and its going to be costly to make the rickshaws and time consuming for me going at this single handed for the large part. I can Beef up some wheel Barrows much easier

Its also getting closer everyday so I went ahead and decided on the weights for the event and the implements (sand bags). If there is a change do to sponsorship Ill keep the loads the same.

So now the events loads etc are listed except the exact weight of the wreckers to be pulled I have to get my harness out and go meet them and pull some of the trucks and will call it after that. Expect HEAVY, but doable.

Hope to see you all there, things are coming along

Phill

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Looks like a pretty cool event, Phill. If I lived closer, I would give it a try. Just an observation, but your MW range seems really huge. In the contests that I've done, there are a lot of guys in the 215-230 range that are too big for 200, but too small to compete against the guys around 260.

Phill

Phill

Awards
Looks like a pretty cool event, Phill. If I lived closer, I would give it a try. Just an observation, but your MW range seems really huge. In the contests that I've done, there are a lot of guys in the 215-230 range that are too big for 200, but too small to compete against the guys around 260.
Thanks its coming together landed a few more sponsors a few banks, Pepsi Cola and others coming on.

?? the Middle weight class. Well seems most NAS events are going to this format and it is seeming to work out for the m,ost part. the problem with breaking it further is then say I had a 200-232, class and a 233-265 as well as 200 and under, 266 and over, a womens division, a Masters division etc it ends up being a very small field for each group even more so when your limiting the total to 40.

The other thing is it seems to balance out most times usually the lighter faster guys excel in the endurance type events etc and the bigger guys blow out the heavy stuff. That remains to be seen in this one as its all around pretty heavy even the endurance stuff. But hey give the smaller guys a reason to A) cut weight and go for 200 class or eat up and GFH!!

Thanks for the input

Phill

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I hear you on too many weight classes being a bad thing. I think most people think that you have to be 250+ to try a strongman contest and don't realize that there even are weight classes so you don't get as many competitors. The 200 and under classes are usually pretty small from what I've seen. Glad it's coming along well and I hope it's a big success.

Phill

Phill

Awards
Yeah, I hear you on too many weight classes being a bad thing. I think most people think that you have to be 250+ to try a strongman contest and don't realize that there even are weight classes so you don't get as many competitors. The 200 and under classes are usually pretty small from what I've seen. Glad it's coming along well and I hope it's a big success.
Thanks a LOt for the wishes for a good comp its coming well got a few more sponsors Ill add to the list in a bit. Looks to be a great day.

WE actually get a pretty good group of lil Light weights here and theres a heck of a groupd of teens I hope / think some will step up and go open class

Thanks again
Phil

beast69

beast69

Awards
pretty cool to see USP labs sponsoring this. I would love to compete If I lived closer. Looks like it'll be a good comp though. good luck!

Phill

Phill

Awards
pretty cool to see USP labs sponsoring this. I would love to compete If I lived closer. Looks like it'll be a good comp though. good luck!
Thanks. It looks to be a great event for a great cause and I can honestly say USP Labs and their donation is a HUGE!!!! part in making this not only able to happen but to making it the success I hope it will be.

Any and all make it out for this if you can in any form competitor or as a spectator, it should prove to be a good time

Phill

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hell I would take a stab if I lived closer, good luck at this

Phill

Phill

Awards
Its coming along well. I got 6 more sponsors today. The wheel barrow is done its a BEAST 9 feet long and around 400 lbs itself Ive loaded it with 800lbs so far NO PROBLEM. Getting athletes both local and from coast to coast signing up or showing interest. Thanks again to everyone so far who are helping to make this a huge success.

I cant thank the sponsors enough please take a minute if yo have one to visit there sites trough the links above

Phil

getbustered

Board Sponsor
Awards
Its coming along well. I got 6 more sponsors today. The wheel barrow is done its a BEAST 9 feet long and around 400 lbs itself Ive loaded it with 800lbs so far NO PROBLEM. Getting athletes both local and from coast to coast signing up or showing interest. Thanks again to everyone so far who are helping to make this a huge success.

I cant thank the sponsors enough please take a minute if yo have one to visit there sites trough the links above

Phil

Holy ****. I've never seen anyone else from Topeka on any of the forums I frequent. Anyway I can get involved with this? I might even be able to get MN to throw some stuff in, or participate in some way (no guarantees on that, just a thought).

If there's anything I can do, hit me up with a pm here or at bb.com and I'll get you my email address.

Edit: Also, I don't know if you've spoken to Pinnacle Gym yet, but I am good friends with the owner and they might be interested in getting involved in some way.

Phill

Phill

Awards
Holy ****. I've never seen anyone else from Topeka on any of the forums I frequent. Anyway I can get involved with this? I might even be able to get MN to throw some stuff in, or participate in some way (no guarantees on that, just a thought).

If there's anything I can do, hit me up with a pm here or at bb.com and I'll get you my email address.

Edit: Also, I don't know if you've spoken to Pinnacle Gym yet, but I am good friends with the owner and they might be interested in getting involved in some way.
Cheers,

Not many of us Topekans around for sure Ive only ran into 3-4 in years on the forums. Honestly ANY help would be much appreciated in any form. Its coming along very well but just like our one personal training progress no matter how good it can always get Better :) Ill fire you a PM.

On Pinnacle Gym. I was there again yesterday dropping off some entries and just shooting the SH** with them. They are going to give some stuff as well. Im hoping they may have some members that want to compete as well.

Thanks for the support,
Phill

getbustered

Board Sponsor
Awards
I posted this at bb.com, in case anyone there is from around here and might be interested.

Phill

Phill

Awards
I posted this at bb.com, in case anyone there is from around here and might be interested.

Thanks!! I have one up over there currently I had one reply form a chap who says he was going to come and be a spectator. Got some more very cool sponsors today. The raffles and such should prove to be VERY cool.

Thanks for all the help,
Phill

Phill

Phill

Awards
wheel barrow

Heres that wheel barrow for the load and carry. I just about got the axles done that just leave packing the sand bags and picking out the wreckers for each class to pull

Phill
[/IMG]

Phill

Phill

Awards
Thanks its a fun little implement :)

I wanted to bump this up to thank thank USP again and to keep them and this event in the spot light a bit. I also wanted to extend an offer and a way for me to further thank them for their generous donation.

I want to make the offer that anyone who purchases a USP Labs product and brings proof of that in the form of a full or empty container or label can use that to get free spectator admission into the event. Or mail the label in with your entry and you receive $5 off your entry fee.

Its not much but hey saves you a few dollars you can use to buy raffle tickets or a drink and bite to eat.

Thanks again to USP Labs and all the sponsors
Phill

Phill

Phill

Awards
Got the ten military bags today UPS for the sand bag load. Now just have to finish the axles and pick out the trucks and everything is set.

Also I will be ordering the T-Shirts and posters in the next few weeks

Get those entries in

Phill

Phill

Phill

Awards
shirts and posters

Got the T-Shirt design done and posters to send off to the printers, The axles are at the tire shop getting tries wheels etc, should be sweet. After party is arranged and have a gal looking into getting a sweet deal On the Capital Plaza Hotel On site at the venue

Getting a LOT of excited spectators, now we just need to fill up the classes and give them a show.

Phil Stevens
Staley Training Systems
Your Relentless Pursuit Of New Personal Records™
(785) 221-2275
http://www.StaleyTraining.com
http://www.MastersPerformance.com

Phill

Phill

Awards
more

Got the heavy weight and middle weight axle tires mounted today. Its friggin sweet. Looks pretty cool seeing it pressed over head had to get a lil extra training in with it today.

Shoveled 1500 lbs of sand into the sand bags, fun fun. Those things are harder to lift and carry then I thought should make a fun event

Phil Stevens
Staley Training Systems
Your Relentless Pursuit Of New Personal Records™
(785) 221-2275
http://www.StaleyTraining.com
http://www.MastersPerformance.com

Phill

Phill

Awards
hotel

I was sending out the shirt and poster designs yesterday but got a call right as I was about to send them off to get printed. It was Capitol Plaza Hotel.
http://www.capitolplazahoteltopeka.com/home.aspx
I NICE place and its located right at the venue. They are going to give us a room rate of 69.00 a night, as well they are donating art work and the management there is going to pitch in and help out during the event serving food, helping to run the raffle and silent auction tables etc..

They are sending me the contract as we speak and once I get the code and such Ill add it on here.

Phil

Phill

Phill

Awards
rooms

OK got 35 rooms in a block at the $69 rate, $30 off the usual rate. They can start being reserved now through the 18th of Jan after that any of the remaining block goes back to being able to be reserved by any one and its first come first serve

The number is
Phone: (800) 579-7937
Local: (785) 431-7200

ask the the North American Strongman Block

Phill

Phill

Phill

Awards
Bump!!!! Just keeping this in the eye.

Got the shirt order out now. The food and service donated for the show, lots of people getting excited about seeing a heck of a contest.

Get those entries is ladies and gentlemen

Phil

Phill

Phill

Awards
Were 30 days out here guys and gals. Get those entries in. Its going to be a fun event, with a good crowd, and for a great cause.

Phil

Phill

Phill

Awards
Spent this morning calling places and putting up posters and have appointments with all the local radio station morning shows tomorrow. I hit up one of the TV stations today, and hopefully will get some free press.

Got the T-shirts today earlier then expected. I just got the final art work to them monday and got them today, a day and a half!! They look pretty sweet.

Me and two other guys are going saturday to pick out the wreckers to pull. I have my eye on a 10,000 lb wrecker that is an old 1940's dodge its the one the sponsor uses for parades and such pretty sweet looking old rig. Ill let you all know once we find out for sure. May do a few different trucks if needed.

Next week I have a walk through on the venue to get it set up how I want it, bleachers etc..

Also if anyone is interested I just found out at the same venue there is also the Topeka Boat and Outdoor show at one of the other buildings on Friday the 8th and Saturday the 9th. That will also hopefully lead to even more people coming to watch this. They have the strongman comp posted in their flier of events they put out as well.

Brought a few posters to the office of Camp Hope and they were elated. Its all coming together. :)

Phil

Phill

Phill

Awards
Heres the list so far

Light weight
Sam Cox
Justin Cantwell
Nathan Hildebrand
Jason Aguilar

middle weight
Jason Bangs
Jason Oyler
William Duncan
Joseph Olszewski
Eric Smith

Heavy weight
Mark Brownson

Masters
Lance Foster
Tim Nassen

beast69

beast69

Awards
looks like everything's shaping up pretty well. I wish I lived closer so that I could compete... the regular season is so far away :( :cool:

Phill

Phill

Awards
looks like everything's shaping up pretty well. I wish I lived closer so that I could compete... the regular season is so far away :( :cool:
THanks its looking great venue an spectator wise. Looks like were going to have a huge turn out the the venue is HUGE!!! Set up grand stand seating all the way around the competition area for over 1200 and plenty of standing room. The local media has really been tearing it up and quite the buzz going on

We need some more competitors.
The Hotel is going the extend their deal through Monday It a heck of a steal on a great room

Phill

Phill

Awards
After some thought and talks Ive decided to go ahead and make the DL an event where you can use straps. Hopefully it will draw some more people to compete and there's talk of maybe some record attempts.

Phill

Phill

Phill

Awards
A huge Thank You to everyone who took part in the event or pitched in to make this event a HUGE success.

Thanks to the sponsors without whom this would have never been possible in the first place. USP Labs as the primary sponsor. Harold’s Tire, Brass Rail Tavern, Marketing Promotions, and Brown’s Super Service as event sponsors. Capital Plaza Hotel as the accommodations sponsor. All the others sponsors. Big and small. Every single donation helped a ton.

Thank you to the whole of the KCStrongman Crew for all they did to support the event. Eric Todd and Scott Tully for being the head Judges and tallying score. Ben Moore for MCing the event. DJ Satterfield for helping with equipment, the sandbags, and harnesses. Becky Thompson for representing Camp Hope and presenting the awards. Heather Boos for the National Anthem. Aaron Borg for helping me build the varied equipment and supplying much of the steel. All the family and friends who gave time and energy. NAS inc. in general, Willie for bringing equipment and for giving proceeds from NAS Inc. T-shirt sales to the Charity.

Congratulations to each and every competitor who signed up, stepped up, gave there all and put on a hell of a show. It was a close race all day in all the classes. There were tons of personal records broken and 2 NAS Inc. records were broken in the deadlift. First Max Pippa who broke and went on to SMASH the heavy weight teen record at deadlift. Finishing with a 630 pull and more in the tank. Sam Cox broke the 200 and under Deadlift with a strong pull and Tim Nassen show no signs of his age :)

There were a good group of seasoned athletes in attendance as well as 5-6 first timers who put forth a heck of an effort. In the end congratulations to the fellows who came out on top
RESULTS
Masters:
1st place — Tim Nassen, St. Joseph, Mo.
2nd place — Lance Foster, Platte City, Mo.
3rd place — Bobby Bounds, Wetmore

200-pound class:
1st place — Matt Tyler, Wichita
2nd place — Justin Cantwell, Kansas City, Kan.
3rd place — Nathan Hildebrand, Topeka

Middleweights:
1st place — Max Pippa, St. Louis
2nd place — William Duncan, Topeka
3rd place — Jason Oyler, Topeka

Heavyweights:
1st place — Jake Cox, Lawrence
2nd place — Zach Best, Omaha, Neb.
3rd place — Mark Brownson, Johnson County

As is always the case when competing we all take the risk of injury. There is always scrapes and bruises and no one ever wants to see a major injury. We unfortunately had one such case in the Wheel barrow event. Jason Bangs suffered a knee injury, I want to thank Jason for the strong effort he put forth and wish him a strong and speedy recovery.

When it was said and done there were over 250 in attendance. The TV and local paper covered the event. We received a TON of promotion and awareness for strength sports, strongman, as well as the charity “CAMP HOPE” from the day and days preceding the event.

After a final tally we raised a grand total of $2161.00 for the American Cancer Societies Camp Hope that I will present to them in my Mothers name as a Memorial. THANK YOU everyone!!!

The following is any of the articles, write ups, etc that are of the event. And I will edited a few more as they come in .

Pics of the event
Spotted®

Article on the event
CJOnline / The Topeka Capital-Journal - Muscle power turns into money for cancer camp

Promotional Skit
CJOnline Blogs - The strongest man... in the world?

Promotional Article
CJOnline - Topeka native gives hope a big lift

Various You Tube Videos of the event

There was also a Live TV spot on the local CBS affiliate, 250+ posters and other materials.

Other mentionables, Mishaps etc.

When you hear a big BOOM an hour prior to the contest coming from over near the wrecker your set to pull in the event. Check the tires. A flat tire makes a 12,000 lb wrecker virtually impossible to pull (sorry guys LOL) Great effort though. Congrats to Matt Tyre LW competitor to pulling the truck the furthest.

Its good to remember to find someone to sing the national anthem the day prior to the event, BUT, remember to get a friggin flag. It was just silly seeing 200+ people all turning there heads to find flag with none to be found. Opps

Big John Conner actually has a gravitational Pull. The chili dogs and chicken seemed to move under their own power into his mouth

I’m sure I am forgetting something and someone I assure you I am not meaning to and I thank each and everyone who was a part of this in any way.
Just a great time guys I hope you all enjoyed it. It was well worth all the effort in the end. You all put on a hell of a show

Thanks,
Phill

beast69

beast69

Awards
wow, sounds like everything ran pretty smoothly! Sounds like a great competition. Do you plan on holding this again next year?