Safety Squat Bar (from NY Barbells)

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Anybody used the Safety Squat Bar from NY Barbells?

SAFETY SQUAT BAR

Price is real good at 219...I'm the only one using it so I don't necessarily need to spend 400 on one from elitefts...unless somehow the bar is not as good training effect-wise versus the elitefts bar (I was thinking that the only issues there could be with this bar is the relationship of the weight to the handles or the pads being too hard, placing the bar too high up on the neck.)

Anybody have any thoughts?

poppa flex

Awards
Anybody used the Safety Squat Bar from NY Barbells?

SAFETY SQUAT BAR

Price is real good at 219...I'm the only one using it so I don't necessarily need to spend 400 on one from elitefts...unless somehow the bar is not as good training effect-wise versus the elitefts bar (I was thinking that the only issues there could be with this bar is the relationship of the weight to the handles or the pads being too hard, placing the bar too high up on the neck.)

Anybody have any thoughts?

looks fine man!dont buy those dumb handles!
i trained with those handles and held onto the powerrack for over 5 years and my deadlift really never made a BIG jump.so i changed it up and held onto the yokes on the bar!O MAN!what a difference!me and my team madde deadlift gains of over 100lbs by just changing the hand placement!let me know if you got any questions

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man...I wasn't going to order the handles, was just going to order the bar. And was only going to order the 1000 lb capacity bar...I only squat 500 lbs as a max and am never going to need 1000 lbs on the bar, let alone 1500.

They also have a bar they call the "mega triceps bar" which is a little bit like the Football Bar Westside used to sell (which the manufacturer has had trouble getting available to sell)...looks like a big triceps bar.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/splbars1.html

Not sure if this bar is strong enough to be able to put 300-400 lbs on and bench with palms facing.

I've got elbow problems right now that make using a straight bar to squat and bench no good, at least until it heals up.

poppa flex

Awards
yea ive never had experience with that bar.i would try and get ice massages for the elbows,tens unit,massages, and ALWAYS WEAR elbow sleeves!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love NY barbell, I used to work in their Hicksville NY store

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Thanks poppa and reaper...

My elbow problem is (I think) the same thing as "golfers elbow"...only I didn't do this golfing and having my wrist in the bench press position hurts it, yet when I use dumbbells palms facing they don't bother me. So I'm thinking if I could bench with a barbell palms facing I'd be in decent shape and this thing might heal eventually. Was looking at the Football Bar but they are back ordered or something. I do use sleeves...but just cheap ones. I think I'm going to get some better ones, maybe the Inzers.

I have NY Barbells' power rack and cambered squat bar and am very happy with both. They have good prices and the quality of both things I've bought has been good enough for my purposes. But you never know when you go "cheap" so I figured I'd ask...I know some people here have been anti-NYB on the glute ham raise 'machine.'

donk

Awards
But you never know when you go "cheap" so I figured I'd ask...I know some people here have been anti-NYB on the glute ham raise 'machine.'

Yeah there Glute ham raise sucks. The pad tore real fast and the Toe Plate broke on my friend mid set and he ate sh!t(only had the ghr for 3 weeks). So we got my friend who is a steel worker to wield the toe plate back on and its had no problems except the pads.

Harley

Awards
I have their SSB and it works just fine. Some of NYBB's stuff is made cheap but this bar is a good deal for the price.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I ordered a squat rack from NY barbells. The only issue with them is, it's real expensive to order heavy heavy stuff, because the shipping goes by weight. So order your plates from the local stores. To get free shipping on some items there is a real bargain though.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
I received the big Triceps Bar from NY Barbells this Friday and used it tonight. No elbow or shoulder pain at all with it. Not sure whether increases in strength with this bar will carry over well to a straight bar, but if anyone is having shoulder or elbow pain this may be worth a shot for you. Outermost hand positions are 24" apart...which I found to be just a little bit narrower than if I had my hands out with my ring finger on the smooth part of an Olympic bar. Delivered I paid 210.00.

I'll try the SS bar next. The pad on it looks more firm than the elitefts bar but I've never used either. Hopefully that'll work out for me too.