Any one herd of versagripps

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
yup i use the pro series when i do use straps.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any one else?

MasterFlexx

MasterFlexx

Awards
I have had a set for about 2 years. They work great and keep the stress off your grip. they are also extremely durable and can take a good amount of beating. Definately worth the buy.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ordered some today.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Should be in a couple of days. We will see how they go.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Are these only available online?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just got it direct from them web site.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Versa Grips are an absolute for me. They seem costly until you've owned a pair. If I lost mine today I wouldn't think twice about buying some ASAP.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a thought... I used to get little red dots in my hands from my straps cutting off the blood at my wrist or blocking the return of blood flow from my hands back up arm when I handled serious tonage. I thought if I kept lifting I'd have to amputate (not really, but it didn't look healthy). That doesn't happen with my Versa Grips. I accredit a lot of my back gains to them. Can't lift the weight if you can't hold it.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I have been thinking of getting a pair. Kinda like a halfway between regular straps and hooks.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hooks bend if you're consistently pulling serious weight. My hooks ripped right out of the wrist strap. Plus hooks seem to rely more on your forearm extensors then your forearm flexors to hold the weight. Your flexors are a lot more proficient at being your foundation of strength for holding weight. I have nothing against straps, they were my meat & potatoes of grip capability for years, but these Versa Grips are in a whole different category of efficiency. They rely primarily on flexor strength and just speaking for myself, my ability to handle heavier weight increased dramatically compared to my good ol harbinger straps. I highly, HIGHLY recommend them.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
What are you guys using these for? Heavy shrugs or rack pulls? Personally I say use them as needed, but I'd slowly work your grip up to where you don't need them much anymore. Double overhand deadlifts would help or get a rolling thunder (this is a basically a thick handle, 2'' to 2.5'' in diameter, that you can hang weights from to do holds for time). You can build up grip quickly.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd have to agree that having natural grip strength is optimal, but unless you're in a powerlifting competition where straps aren't alllowed... well, for instance, doing a dead lift single pull is a reasonable goal to reach without grips. Me pulling 405 for 10 reps, my grip may NEVER reach that level necessary to do so naturally, unless I have juiced out Ronnie Coleman grip strength. When it comes to building my back, that's where my concentration is, my back, not my forearms. However, with that said, I am definitely FOR having natural grip strength, which is why I have a day where I just work my forearms, forearm flexors, extensors and brachioradialus. I would only suggest straps for back days, people who strap for curls I think are depending on them way too much.

P.S. I tried shrugging 5 plates last night WITH straps and I still couldn't hang on. So you still need a strong level of natural grip strength to handle major tonage with the help of straps, or in my case, Versa Grips.

Just to be clear, I am a major advocate of not just natural grip strength, but huge & powerful forearms. When I see people in the gym, it's the girth and shape of their forearms I measure up before their guns, but I am also without a doubt, pro straps when necessary, and back days for me, are ALWAYS necessary .

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to agree that having natural grip strength is optimal, but unless you're in a powerlifting competition where straps aren't alllowed... well, for instance, doing a dead lift single pull is a reasonable goal to reach without grips. Me pulling 405 for 10 reps, my grip may NEVER reach that level necessary to do so naturally, unless I have juiced out Ronnie Coleman grip strength. When it comes to building my back, that's where my concentration is, my back, not my forearms. However, with that said, I am definitely FOR having natural grip strength, which is why I have a day where I just work my forearms, forearm flexors, extensors and brachioradialus. I would only suggest straps for back days, people who strap for curls I think are depending on them way too much.

P.S. I tried shrugging 5 plates last night WITH straps and I still couldn't hang on. So you still need a strong level of natural grip strength to handle major tonage with the help of straps, or in my case, Versa Grips.

Just to be clear, I am a major advocate of not just natural grip strength, but huge & powerful forearms. When I see people in the gym, it's the girth and shape of their forearms I measure up before their guns, but I am also without a doubt, pro straps when necessary, and back days for me, are ALWAYS necessary .
Cool. Sounds like we agree. A double overhand shrug is pretty damn tough to hold when it gets heavy, but you should immediately be banned from your gym for using them on curls as you said. BTW, are you sure that you are wrapping the straps in the right direction around the bar? They should be wrapped under the bar first then come over the top. Otherwise, I'm surprised that straps don't work.

I used to have trouble with grip at around 7 rep at 405 on deads, but after working my grip I can hold 435 in my hands (one supinated) for 60+ seconds without touching the ground doing touch n go reps the whole time. I bet you can build up your grip to a much higher level too.
Here's that rolling thunder thing that I was talking about:

Rolling Thunder® Revolving Deadlift Handle-Ironmind Enterprises

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can those only be used for Deads? Can you shrug or row with them? It's hard to tell how those grips work just by the picture.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, I wasn't clear. This is just a handle that you can hang weight from to work on your grip. The handle is really wide so that you can't interlock your fingers and thumb. It will get your grip strength up quickly. I have a friend that has one, and we just hang 75-100# on there and hold on as long as we can with each hand to build up grip strength. I also do strongman so grip strength is a necessity.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hats off to ya man, that's some serious dedication to grip strength. You could probably choke a buffalo to sleep with that. That fat grip concept can build some major isometric strength, good stuff.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Love them. I used them today for the 1st time. My grip was awesome. Did I lift heavier? Not sure. I am logging yellow from controlled labs. I know my grip did not slip out but as far as heavier? Not sure.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Love them. I used them today for the 1st time. My grip was awesome. Did I lift heavier? Not sure. I am logging yellow from controlled labs. I know my grip did not slip out but as far as heavier? Not sure.
Give it sometime. Soon enough you'll find yourself trying weight you couldn't hang on to before (most prominantly bent over rows, deads, heavy shrugs).