deadlift frequency

chuebner

Awards
I am currently training for my schools strength meet in november and was wondering if doing deads on monday and then rack deads on friday was overkill.....if i did do it, should i do one for reps and the other for max?? Any hints would be helpful, im currently trying the WSB program, but tweaked it a bit

poppa flex

Awards
i would do maybe speed pulls one day and racks the other day!
5x1 50% after your squat

BIX

Awards
depends on what your recovery time is like, i know myself, lol, i'd be dead if i did both in a week, but that's just me:)

chuebner

Awards
Well ive never really done this before and saw it advertised on at my school, so i feel like im kinda behind training wise....i mean i figure if i eat well enough and try deads on monday and rack deads on friday ill be okay..i mean if im just sore and exhausted thats a good enough sign that i shouldn't be doing it.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
when do you squat? they work similar muscle groups

chuebner

Awards
thursdays...i was thinking of even alternating weeks one week focus on squats and then next on deads

poppa flex

Awards
what ive been doing is on monday speed day i would squat and do hams and lower back.on thursday every other week i would do a form of deadlifting(blocks,bands chains)then the other would be a max squat movemnet and speed pulls lite or rack pulls!

chuebner

Awards
So you would do deads every week and then switch from squats and another dead movement on alternating weeks...i really like that idea, especially since im not really training for the squat at the moment...thanks!!

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I would only do one dead workout per week. One week do pulls from the floor, then next do heavy rack pulls. Deads tend to really tax the CNS and are easy to get overtrained on.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I would only do one dead workout per week. One week do pulls from the floor, then next do heavy rack pulls. Deads tend to really tax the CNS and are easy to get overtrained on.
Very good post.

I wouldn't do heavy deads even weekly...if it was me...I'd go bi-weekly.

chuebner

Awards
awesome thanks guys...one more quick question..what about shrugs, i love going as heavy as possible, does this hurt recovery too? should i do them both on the same day??

poppa flex

Awards
on max effort day every other week i deadlift very heavy.IE:bands chains boxes.heavy shrugs should or can be done on the off week of deadlifting!

chuebner

Awards
thanks again...man, reading all the stuff on elitefitness opened my eyes up to awhole new world of lifting...i wish i didn't need off days anymore

poppa flex

Awards
haha hell yea man.......those are important days for rest tho man!cant kill your body everyday!gotta heal up and be ready to roll the next workout

poppa flex

Awards
i have my training format on my msg board....
you can check it out there and feel free to post!
i train about 10-15 guys threwout the year and sometimes on the same day!so i can give you run downs on what they all started at and got to!its all about west side barbell training!i took days and days of reading and watching videos and consulting people!and this is what has been working so far!

chuebner

Awards
thanks man, just got back from some vacation but im totally gonna read up...i deadlifted for the first time without straps, wtf, how the heck do i increase my grip as soon as possible

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
i deadlifted for the first time without straps, wtf, how the heck do i increase my grip as soon as possible

Mixed Grip helps, other than that, just keep pulling without straps.

X

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Very good post.

I wouldn't do heavy deads even weekly...if it was me...I'd go bi-weekly.
I think deads is really an exercise that you CAN listen to your body on. If you feel you're ready to do deads, you are. If not, you're not. Like you said it REALLY taxes your CNS and when you're taxed, you feel it.

Sometimes I'd be okay doing them every week for a month, and heavy. Othertimes....no :lol:

I'm not a powerlifter, but I had a pretty good DL and I just listened to what my body told me with huge lifts like squats and especially deads.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I've had some success doing deadlifts more frequently, but I mixed it up a lot, sort of a like a smolov/coan style routine.

Of course, you should really just listen to Nick. His raw bench is higher than my best deadlift.

poppa flex

Awards
thanks man, just got back from some vacation but im totally gonna read up...i deadlifted for the first time without straps, wtf, how the heck do i increase my grip as soon as possible
i built a gripper machine out of iron pipe!i use that once a week!and another thing is when your pullin.put your thumb over top of your pointer finger and grip like that over the bar!that has helped a few guys!hammer curls!hold the hex dumbbells for as long as you can.......shoot me up with any quesitons

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I've had some success doing deadlifts more frequently, but I mixed it up a lot, sort of a like a smolov/coan style routine.

Of course, you should really just listen to Nick. His raw bench is higher than my best deadlift.

Just listen to your body, deadlifts are easy to get overtrained on, but if your recovery allows you to train more often then I say to go for it. There is lots of good advice here, but in the end I would just let your body decided for you.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Just listen to your body, deadlifts are easy to get overtrained on, but if your recovery allows you to train more often then I say to go for it. There is lots of good advice here, but in the end I would just let your body decided for you.
*high five*

See, the big guy agrees w/ me :lol:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I liked the idea of doing deads off the the floor one week and heavy rack deads the next.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Thats what I do. What I do may not be right for anyone else, or me either for that matter but here is how my workout is laid out as of now.

Week 1- Mon

Snatch- 5x1
Bottom Position Squat- 6x3
1/4 Squat Lockouts- 3x3
Deadlifts off 5inch block- 5x5
neck/forearms and abs

Week 2- Mon

Snatch- 5x1
Rack Pulls- 6x3
Full Squats- 5x5
Shrugs- 3-5 sets
neck/forearms and abs

I squat and deadlift on the same day.

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
or...

pull from the floor on monday and box squat on friday; good carry-over without the cns hit you'll get pulling heavy twice a week.

a deadlift is basically a high squat: if i can paraphrase wendler.

you are young though...

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think deads is really an exercise that you CAN listen to your body on. If you feel you're ready to do deads, you are. If not, you're not. Like you said it REALLY taxes your CNS and when you're taxed, you feel it.

Sometimes I'd be okay doing them every week for a month, and heavy. Othertimes....no :lol:

I'm not a powerlifter, but I had a pretty good DL and I just listened to what my body told me with huge lifts like squats and especially deads.
:thumbsup: agreed