How to get more power off the bottom of the bench press

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most people have problems with heavy weight on the lockout.I have a pretty strong lockout. When I usually fail with a heavy weight is on the bottom(getting it off my chest).I know for lockout power you can do board presses,chains,bands and rack presses,but what can you do to strengthen power off your chest?And I'm refering to benching raw.

BigBenchKinc

Awards
For a sticking point at the bottom, you need to work on your bar spped. This is accomplished on your DE or speed day, do all sets as fast as you can (under control). What is your best lift?

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
355 raw. At a body weight of 200 pounds even.That was last year the heaviest I've gone lately is 330.at about 193 pounds.

Tch44

Awards
First off that's a solid raw bench for your bodyweight. I have the same problem area. The things that helped me the most were pin presses. Get inside a power rack on your bench and set the pins to where the bar is just touching your chest at the bottom. Make sure on these you relax after every rep. Also floor presses, ill. width bench, 3-5sec pause benches and heavy dumbell presses brought down just below your barbell range of motion will help. I'm sure you already are but pound your upper back and lats. I hope this helps

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Along with the general consensus of obviously doing pin rack workouts, to work the lower part of your bench. You should also work on adding some strength to your lats. Do heavy lat pulldowns, heavy rows, that sort of thing. The bottom part of the bench is ALOT of lats until it gets to about midpoint where your chest predominates and finally followed by a tricep predomination at top part of the lift.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
For a sticking point at the bottom, you need to work on your bar spped. This is accomplished on your DE or speed day, do all sets as fast as you can (under control). What is your best lift?

You're assuming he's read up on/is doing westside training though.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off that's a solid raw bench for your bodyweight. I have the same problem area. The things that helped me the most were pin presses. Get inside a power rack on your bench and set the pins to where the bar is just touching your chest at the bottom. Make sure on these you relax after every rep. Also floor presses, ill. width bench, 3-5sec pause benches and heavy dumbell presses brought down just below your barbell range of motion will help. I'm sure you already are but pound your upper back and lats. I hope this helps
I,ve done the rack presses but never with the pins set where the bar is touching my chest, but now that you say it, it makes alot of sense it must be tough to get the heavy weight up from a dead press with no momentum but I'll give it a shot.And yeah I hit the back pretty hard.I 've done floor presses a couple of times in the past but just messing around I'm goona start doing them more routinely. Thanks for the good advise.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Along with the general consensus of obviously doing pin rack workouts, to work the lower part of your bench. You should also work on adding some strength to your lats. Do heavy lat pulldowns, heavy rows, that sort of thing. The bottom part of the bench is ALOT of lats until it gets to about midpoint where your chest predominates and finally followed by a tricep predomination at top part of the lift.
Yeah I guess we always could work our lats and upper back more. It definately couldn't hurt Thanks Makaveli

Sonny Crockett

Awards
Agree with the pause presses for 3 sec. If you have access to a buffalo bar this is good as well.

Sonny Crockett

Awards
I've never heard of a Buffalo bar what is it?? How does it work??
It is a 55# bar that is thicker than a normal bar and it has a bend in it. So when you decend to your chest you have to go lower to touch as it arches upward. This is not as drastic as a cambard bar, which I would never use to bench-way too much stress/stretch.-good for GM and SQ if you want to take stress off shoulders.

So when you go back to pressing normally you have developed additional power at the bottom. Similar to DL off of 100# plates, then doing it from the floor. I would not exclusive rely on this but good to mix it up. The bend in the bar also takes some stress off the elbows.

When I get home tonight I will look for and link a pic.

Erik2003

Erik2003

Awards
Floor Presses

You may also want to consider Floor Presses: You can use dbls or the smith machine if you do not have a spotter. Lay on the floor and bench. Pause while the triceps are on the floor.

One thing that was not mentioned for the speed day, you will need to reduce your weights to 50% or 60% and the bar has to move very quickly.

I have heard of this next one, but really do not advise it unless you know the safety locks work.
Use the smith machine, and press very hard with explosive force (again lower the weight) and explode up to the point that the bar leaves your grip. You then catch the bar and slowly lower it to your chest for another rep. NOTE I THINK THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DANGEROUS AND REQUIRES THE SAFETY RAILS SETTING TO BE PROPERLY WORKING.

WODYN

WODYN

Awards
my quick list

explosive mooves
constant experiments with grip width
1 sec pause onthe bottom (most important)
bottom pins (I prefer pins in smith mashine here)
weighted dips (!!)

KillaKurt

KillaKurt

Awards
Agreed.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Most of the power from the bottom comes from proper setup and lat recruitment.

Speed week is essential, heavy back work, get your setup down for proper support and lat recruitment.

Doing some 1board presses with a camber bar also good. Use the 1board otherwise the camber bar will take you a little to deep and not be good on shoulders.

Speed week is essential, heavy back work, get your setup down for proper support and lat recruitment.