deadlift question? - AnabolicMinds.com

deadlift question?

1. Board Supporter

deadlift question?

i dont compete in powerlifting, i just do certain lifts to help with my MMA training, and deadlift is one of my favorite lifts. I am 6' tall and 215lbs about 13% bf
    is a 505lb max deadlift good for my build or should i be able to lift heavier? keep in mind i dont juice and i havent taken any supplements in a while its been pretty much just protien and vitamins.

your oppinions are appreciated, thanks!

2. New Member

505@215 is a very solid deadlift, especially since your primary focus is on your mma training. You are also young enough that you can expect your dl to get even better over time. Keep up the good work!
  3. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    505@215 is a very solid deadlift, especially since your primary focus is on your mma training. You are also young enough that you can expect your dl to get even better over time. Keep up the good work!
    cool thanks!

here is another question for everyone else out there to add to this one.. i really dont use any belts or straps... cuz the way i look at it.. if im in a fight (ring/cage) i am not going to have that luxury.. is that good or bad???

you rarely see people do heavy squats and deads in the gym.
    i was amazed though.. the other day i saw this old dude.. must have been in his 50's or even 60's doing 315 for sets of 10 reps! i was like DAMN! thats good for an old dude! good form too!
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I would use a belt for precautionary use, but no straps is good because it really helps out with grip strength. I wouldn't really say that DL is applicable in MMA but the overall strength does help immensely.
  5. New Member

500+ congrats!

I will second no straps. I add the belt on my last couple sets once it gets over a certain point for me. Loose at first to help form then tight on last set. I do not use the belt for the lighter sets.

If you want to develop more power do not bounce them. Re-set each rep. If you are not currently doing them this way the weight will be significantly decreased but in the long run you will benefit.
  6. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I would use a belt for precautionary use, but no straps is good because it really helps out with grip strength. I wouldn't really say that DL is applicable in MMA but the overall strength does help immensely.
    well its a little applicable... almost same motion as picking someone up to slam them.. especially if they are trying to triangle you.... but ya whenever i started doing deads.. i noticed a significant difference in overall strength for grappling, so did my training partners.
    .. and sunny.. i dont bounce the weights. I couldnt if i wanted to with the floor at the gym i go to.

so ok... what exactly does a belt do? does it protect you? or just make it to where you can lift more?
  7. New Member

I agree with everyone else: no straps. If your grip is a weak point, work your grip. I don't use a belt unless I'm doing heavy doubles or singles. But a belt can be helpful because it gives you something to push your abs out against, which is important for core stability in heavy deads.

Also, there are a number of professional strength coaches who specialize in training mma fighters who say deadlifts have a lot of carryover to grappling/fighting. No other single movement works the entire posterior chain as effectively and if you don't have a strong p-chain you're probably not going to last long in an mma fight.
  8. New Member

just to back up my point I went and found one of the articles I was thinking of. This is Chad Waterbury:

There's an adage that says, "A strong man is strong on the back of his body." This is very relevant and true for MMA fighters.

You must develop super-strong muscles that run from the base of your skull down to your Achilles tendons. Some of the most important muscles in this range are your hip extensors and back extensors. These muscles, along with a handful of others, collectively form the posterior chain (PC).

Why is the PC important for MMA fighters? Because the PC assists explosive movements involved in locomotion. If you've ever seen a guy shoot forward to drive his shoulder into his opponent's abdomen for a takedown, that's the PC at work. Furthermore, a strong PC will help you lift and throw a fighter, and it'll help you resist being pulled down to the ground.

There are many effective exercises that improve the strength of your PC. Good mornings, back extensions, reverse hypers – they all help. But one exercise remains at the top of my list for PC development for MMA fighters: the deadlift. Why the deadlift? Because it forces you to train your entire PC while holding a load in front of you. That's important!

By holding the load in front of you, the carryover to fighting is much greater compared to having the load across your upper back. After all, fighting is about controlling the guy in front of you.

The majority of the time your opponent will be in front of you, you'll have your hands on him, and he'll be trying to resist you. The fact that the deadlift strengthens your PC, your grip, and your shoulder girdle, makes it one of best exercises to build fighting-specific muscle groups

You can read the whole thing here:

Testosterone Nation - Hammer Down: Strength
  9. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PHWSSJ View Post
    so ok... what exactly does a belt do? does it protect you? or just make it to where you can lift more?

A belt has two main purposes:it reduces stress on the lower back while lifting in an upright position and prevents back hyperextension during overhead lifts. A belt reduces low back stress by compressing the contents of the abdominal cavity. This increases the intra-abdominal pressure(IAP), providing more support in front of the bones of the lower back. Use only for maximal or submaximal lifts as high blood pressure and abdominal muscle weakness can result form overuse.
  10. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    just to back up my point I went and found one of the articles I was thinking of. This is Chad Waterbury:

There's an adage that says, "A strong man is strong on the back of his body." This is very relevant and true for MMA fighters.

You must develop super-strong muscles that run from the base of your skull down to your Achilles tendons. Some of the most important muscles in this range are your hip extensors and back extensors. These muscles, along with a handful of others, collectively form the posterior chain (PC).

Why is the PC important for MMA fighters? Because the PC assists explosive movements involved in locomotion. If you've ever seen a guy shoot forward to drive his shoulder into his opponent's abdomen for a takedown, that's the PC at work. Furthermore, a strong PC will help you lift and throw a fighter, and it'll help you resist being pulled down to the ground.

There are many effective exercises that improve the strength of your PC. Good mornings, back extensions, reverse hypers they all help. But one exercise remains at the top of my list for PC development for MMA fighters: the deadlift. Why the deadlift? Because it forces you to train your entire PC while holding a load in front of you. That's important!

By holding the load in front of you, the carryover to fighting is much greater compared to having the load across your upper back. After all, fighting is about controlling the guy in front of you.

The majority of the time your opponent will be in front of you, you'll have your hands on him, and he'll be trying to resist you. The fact that the deadlift strengthens your PC, your grip, and your shoulder girdle, makes it one of best exercises to build fighting-specific muscle groups

You can read the whole thing here:

Testosterone Nation - Hammer Down: Strength
    like i said .. deads are my favorite exercise!!!
  11. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
    A belt has two main purposes:it reduces stress on the lower back while lifting in an upright position and prevents back hyperextension during overhead lifts. A belt reduces low back stress by compressing the contents of the abdominal cavity. This increases the intra-abdominal pressure(IAP), providing more support in front of the bones of the lower back. Use only for maximal or submaximal lifts as high blood pressure and abdominal muscle weakness can result form overuse.
    ok soo. well one thing i have noticed is that ever since i started doing heavy deads i started having lover back pain. And never before in my life did i ever have lower back pain. Is that because i dont use a belt?? I know lowback pain can come from tight muscles and weak abs ect.. but i can do the splits and am pretty limber and my abs are as strong as they come.
    Basically.. do you guys recomend wearing a belt? i am not trying to win any powerlifting competitions i am just trying to get as strong as possible so i can smash mother****ers in the ring.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. JCP2 couple Deadlift questions other chime in too please
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
  2. Deadlift question...
    By iwannagetbig in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 04:55 PM
  3. Deadlift Questions
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science