New to powerlifting

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
Hello all, I just recently started to use the traditional powerlifting excercise(s) in my workout and all I can say is WOW. I love them all. I had never deadlifted before, and my squat was never really any good. I joined a new gym and was shown some of the powerlifting techniques and I have fallen in love. Anyways, my question is this. I'm not really looking to build mass, but rather cut. Would it still be wise to construct a program centered around powerlifting techniques?

Sonny Crockett

Awards
Your diet will have the biggest impact on whether you reach how cut you want to be. Plus, you need some size to cut right?

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Hello all, I just recently started to use the traditional powerlifting excercise(s) in my workout and all I can say is WOW. I love them all. I had never deadlifted before, and my squat was never really any good. I joined a new gym and was shown some of the powerlifting techniques and I have fallen in love. Anyways, my question is this. I'm not really looking to build mass, but rather cut. Would it still be wise to construct a program centered around powerlifting techniques?
All depends on how fast you wanna cut. If youre gonna cut nice and steady, you'll be fine. If you cut fast that means cutting calories fast or using techniques like lowcarbing. Those will drop your energy like aint nobody's biz. If you do that your gonna lose strength, which is gonna mean you are gonna backtrack in your powerlifting progress. If you do it at a nice even rate though, you'll have plenty of energy. Plus keep this in mind, the bigger the lift the more GH you make. More GH means more fat lost and more muscle built.

Just clean up your diet, eat maintenance level calories, pick a good ratio like 30/50/20 for p/c/f and keep up the powerlifting training. It'll take time but stay at it and youll gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
If you realy are into powerlifting, check out the magazine PowerliftingUSA. Its got some good raw articles.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Glad to see you have come over to powerlifting exercises. If you want to cut and yet maintain optimum muscle mass I would suggest you take a look at the GVT program aka 10 X 10s. Make the key exercises like BPs, Deads, Squats and IMO Triceps Presses your keys and work from there. You will lose any extra weight and perhaps increase muscle while challenging yourself severely. When you are ready then you can enjoy the fruits of 3 to 5 max rep sets. Good Luck.