Deadlift help

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I'm having a problem with my right leg when I pull a deadlift. My best lift so far is 360 (2 reps) I just did it today. When I pull a heavy dead, my right quad gets "the shakes". It happens as I near the end of the lift. I was able to make it stop, but it sure is annoying. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this just part of getting stronger?

Thanks!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i've gotten that a couple times in the past but never consistently enough to be considered a problem. i'll ask SB and see what he says.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Going all the way to the top sometimes is a situation for me , like I'll be in half to THREE FOUTHS OF THE WAY UP and ill i wont be going up as fast as lighter weight and stick there for a moment then have to realy pull myself to the back arched position. any recommendations to over-come this situation?

It might have to be with getting better form but from what I see I do the form best possible. Im also ix foot three if this makes any difference. I dont think it should much at all , as Ive seen some mighty six foot three brutes do some heavy ass deads

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I can't squat anything over 500 because of that exact thing. My legs will go crazy at the top of the lift. Is kinda freaky. I've tried every different kind of shoes possible and even in just socks. Nothing helped. Never had a problem on deads though.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
A buddy here at work suggested that I might be putting too much weight on the front part of my right foot. He said try to "dig my heel" into the deck. Sound like a possibility?

Sonny Crockett

Awards
Driving your heels in the ground is good advice. This is the proper way to do the dead. Also get some flat shoes so you do not lean forward. Will make a difference with balance, your weight will go up.

As far as shaking, you mean as you are pulling then when you lock out it stops? This happens to me as I approach max weight sometimes, or course most of my body is shaking violently. (LOL) I don't think this is anything to worry about, Just make sure your form is good.

Looks like you will be pulling 400 pretty soon.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! 405 is my goal. I'm spending more time working on my quads right now trying to get them stronger, and dead lifting lighter weigh working on form. Thanks for the tip on shoes... I never thought of that. Any reccomendations on shoes?? Hate to be cheap, but price is key.

Yes.. the shaking stops when I lock out.

Sonny Crockett

Awards
Thanks! 405 is my goal. I'm spending more time working on my quads right now trying to get them stronger, and dead lifting lighter weigh working on form. Thanks for the tip on shoes... I never thought of that. Any reccomendations on shoes?? Hate to be cheap, but price is key.

Yes.. the shaking stops when I lock out.
Wrestling shoes are the best, some prefer the foot slippers you can buy on PL websites. Any brand that fits your feet, not much difference if wrestling shoes for your purpose.

Quad strength will not play the major role in the dead if that's why you are concentrating on them.
If you pull conventional you will need core strength, especially posterior chain-low back, hips/glutes and most of all hamstrings. If you sumo more hip and glute strength vs hamstrings. Good accessory exercises depending are : reverse hyper, GM's, sled pulls, Glute/ham machine, SLDL, box squat, back squats, etc.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A buddy here at work suggested that I might be putting too much weight on the front part of my right foot. He said try to "dig my heel" into the deck. Sound like a possibility?
Yes

A little off subject but this guy dances like hes heavy on his feet
:bruce3:

This guy dances light on his feet..He is either not flat footed or wearing good arched shoes.
:dance:

donk

Awards
As far as shoes are concerned pick up a pair of Chucks Taylors. They run 30 bucks at like Footlocker. they are great for Squating and Deads.

Shaking on a Max Effort deadlift is nothing out of the ordinary as you get stronger the shaking will stop. Core strength is key.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wrestling shoes are the best, some prefer the foot slippers you can buy on PL websites. Any brand that fits your feet, not much difference if wrestling shoes for your purpose.

Quad strength will not play the major role in the dead if that's why you are concentrating on them.
If you pull conventional you will need core strength, especially posterior chain-low back, hips/glutes and most of all hamstrings. If you sumo more hip and glute strength vs hamstrings. Good accessory exercises depending are : reverse hyper, GM's, sled pulls, Glute/ham machine, SLDL, box squat, back squats, etc.
so flat shoes? What about house slippers, do these work decently as wrestling shoes?

any advantage over boots to shoes?

what would be best..house slippers, Sneakers, or boots?

Or should I just go get wrestling shoes that it makes that much of a difference in handling the weight?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As far as shoes are concerned pick up a pair of Chucks Taylors. They run 30 bucks at like Footlocker. they are great for Squating and Deads.

Shaking on a Max Effort deadlift is nothing out of the ordinary as you get stronger the shaking will stop. Core strength is key.
Awesome !!!Thank you I didnt see this post before mine was posted I was bust still writing it. Ill use some of my Dads

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did 365 very easliy without virtually no strain whatsoever yesterday. I did it in my Nike arched sneakers also. Next time Itll be 385. I am anabolic free, been for a eleven months,and proud to say this is my single highest dead.

did 350 four times when on Mohn(similar to anavar)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats man!
Thanks ! My big goal on the Dead is 405. then after that To keep increasing the weight to five plates and then keep going.

Some things that made this easy
Of course warming up did 12-135 10-135 185-6 225-3 315 one then put a belt on .got soem chalk and did the max set.
Being Hydrated...
Help of friends amping me up..(Ronnie Coleman in his video has someone slap him on the back when going real heavy, This is something to keep in mind, if you can use it)Yes im aware many PLers do this.
chalk
the right belt. Didnt have a PL belt but did have a thick beltwhich kept my back in place.
over /under grip(probally could do the under-grip or the over-grip but did the under-over which works for me.(do whatever works for you)
That about sums what worked on the 365 Dead that happened.

Sonny Crockett

Awards
Congrats on the 365!

You are on your way to 405 for sure.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did 385 today easy.

Shoes off is just as good as flat shoes. the reason for flat shoes or shoes off is to decrease the range of motion. Im taking a week break on Deads and Plan to do 405 in two weeks. I have to brag I'm anabolic free and loving it. Its more of a challange without anabolics to put on strength/mass.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I deadlifted today also. And barefoot as well. Wasn't trying for a PR (365) just worked up to 315 and worked on form. Felt strange being barefoot, but got used to it pretty quick.

I'm after that 405 too! I think you'll probably hit it before I do though.

Corey165

Corey165

Awards
think of the deadlift as a push then a pull

push with the legs off the floor untill the knees then pull the hips threw for a smooth lockout

prolly hamstrings, work the piss out of them.....my fav exercise for them lately is hyperextensions with a safety squat bar or chambered bar

lilman

Awards
always put the weight on the back part of the foot, possibly your quads jsut need more strength. I would suggest doing partial deads as well from the bottom of your knee and up. this will greatly help you finish the top of your movement.
curenttly i pull 515x5 at 195 pounds with a routine as such. Also do not forget how much power your hips have. REally concentrate on pushing hips forward but dontlet them rise without ur back.
week 1 Power week deadlift 3x4-6,
squats 3x4-6
stiff deads 3x1
unilaterla leg press 3x1
week 2 rep range
1/2 rep deadlifts 3x7-9
1and 1/2 rep squats 3x7-9
then assitance leg work

TheLaw

TheLaw

Awards
think of the deadlift as a push then a pull

push with the legs off the floor untill the knees then pull the hips threw for a smooth lockout
Good advice. I know this definately helped me a lot when I started deadlifting (guy at the gym told me to do this, he was also the one who got me into doing dl's). I have a question though. About 3 weeks ago I was able to pull 405 x3 (personal best, was never able to do above 390 before that), but since then I have yet to be able to do it again. Its kind of discouraging being stuck again at 385 -390 for almost a month now. Any ideas of why this could be?

Could it have been I just ate better that day? I dont have a super strict diet like I should, but I do eat better (good bit of tuna and chicken breasts, etc). I dont drink pop and rarely eat fried foods. Could my food that day really have had that much of an impact?

Also, when I did lift it, my entire body hurt in a way as though it felt like I was going to tear apart lol. (It sounds much more dramatic than it was). I dont want to say it was a pain I felt because it didnt feel like I pulled a muscle, or that something tore... not a hurt/pain like that. Its hard for me to describe becuase it only lasted as long as each single rep. What makes me wonder is that I didnt just feel it in my back or just my legs, but that my arms, shoulders, abs, everything felt that same "strain" I guess I can call it. As soon as the weight was on the ground, though, it was gone. I stood up to walk off the strain and it wasnt there, all I felt was an incredible rush.

I know when I try and max on the bench or squat the weights feel really really heavy, but I never experienced something like that before. I would have been concerned, but, like I said, the feeling was gone after I finished and nothing hurt later that day or any day thereafter. I know its weird, but has anyone ever experienced or felt something similar to that?

Corey165

Corey165

Awards
i dont think it was the food

you was propably 'pretensing' your muscles for the lift, by basically flexing every muscle in ur body the weigh is alot easier, i find it helps me a ton

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Got 405 on Monday. Next is 410 ,415,420, or 425. The Dead-lift is awesome. I think from now on I might just do PR max on one day and thats it for the day. Noticed my feet were slighty narrow . Maybe next time might have to put feet a lil wider. if it works, it works .

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
405 was a little strenous. Used chalk and a thick lifting belt, not a powerlifting belt. Im thinking its a good idea to lower the weight and rep it out to bring my dead up more, instead of keeping doing a one rep max dead every week or two, can someone point me in the right direction for maxiumizing My deadlift?

Kind of have a plan: Im thinking of trying 350 4 x's(315s is just too damn light and can get ten easy)...next time I do them, is safe. and If I cannot get 350 4 x's , Ill lower the weight intill four is gotten. Then strive for five then six reps, then when over six reps are gotten , the weight will be increased, Does this sound like it is the fastest way to increase this lift? If not can some pointers be showed?

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to up my dead as well, I'm stuck at 480 and I get that for 3-5 reps but once I try to go any heavier it will not move. Right now I weigh 207. I think my form may be messed up or something, not sure.

Corey165

Corey165

Awards
give coan/phillipi deadlift routine, it will put around 35-40lb on ur deadlift in 10 weeks

or you could go by prilphens(sp?) chart

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use a pair of semi-old mid-top Air Force 1's.:clean:

Nelly is my workout partner, he's a bad spotter - weak.:drunk:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
give coan/phillipi deadlift routine, it will put around 35-40lb on ur deadlift in 10 weeks

or you could go by prilphens(sp?) chart
Ill be doing A.S. Prilepin's. Good -stuff. Ill be trying to sumo-stance squats for four weeks.This be first time doing them

Scrat

Awards
I can't squat anything over 500 because of that exact thing. My legs will go crazy at the top of the lift. Is kinda freaky. I've tried every different kind of shoes possible and even in just socks. Nothing helped. Never had a problem on deads though.
Threads kind of old but this is just my opinion...

Read up on some stuff written by Mike Robertson. Try doing stabilizer work for your lower body; single leg squats, Bulgarian squats, lunge w/ twist, single leg RDL's, etc, etc. A lot of times stabilizer muscles are neglected; even with squats.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here is a Interesting six week routine by Lee Hayward. Very similar to the other routines....

Deadlift Workout

One of the best ways to improve your deadlift strength is to perform multiple sets of single reps. Here is a sample 7 week deadlift cycle to help increase your deadlift 1 rep max. I’ve used this cycle several times with great results each time. With each lift focus on pulling the weights as fast and explosively as possible. The faster you lift the weight, the more stress you’ll apply to the muscles, and the stronger you’ll become.

7 Week Deadlift Cycle

The weights are based on a percentage of your current 1 rep max.

Week one: 70% - 15 sets of 1 - rest one minute between sets
Week two: 75% - 12 sets of 1 - rest one minute between sets
Week three: 80% - 10 sets of 1 - rest 90 seconds between sets
Week four: 85% - 6 sets of 1 - rest 90 seconds between sets
Week five: 90% - 3 sets of 1 - rest two minutes between sets
Week six: Rest (no deadlifting)
Week seven: try for a new max deadlift. Rest as long as you need in between sets (i.e. 3+ minutes)

Note: You can use this 7 week deadlift cycle for either the sumo or conventional deadlift. Do Not use this routine for the Romanian Deadlift, for this exercise it is best to use lower sets and do multiple reps (i.e. 3 sets of 10-20 reps).
To show an example with some real numbers, lets assume the lifter has a 1 rep max of 405 lbs.

Week one: 15 sets of 1 rep with 285 lbs.

Week two: 12 sets of 1 rep with 305 lbs.

Week three: 10 sets of 1 rep with 325 lbs.

Week four: 6 sets of 1 rep with 345 lbs.

Week five: 3 sets of 1 rep with 365 lbs.

Week six: rest

Week seven: work up to a new 1 rep max...

To pyramid up to a new 1 rep max the weights should go like this:
135 lbs.
185 lbs.
225 lbs.
315 lbs.
365 lbs.
405 lbs.
425 lbs.
Each set after this, add approx. 5-10 lbs. to the bar until you reach your 1 rep max.

Most folks who are used to bodybuilding type workouts will probably be quite surprised by the idea of doing multiple sets of single reps. But this is one of the most effective ways to develop strength and power. Obviously you will not be pumping out reps until failure, but rather you’ll be explosive and feel strong and powerful with each single rep set. Generally, after the first few sets you’ll actually feel stronger and be able to pull the bar up harder and faster. This is due to getting comfortable with the exercise and getting into your individual groove where your body position feels strongest.

By using the training tips and suggestions covered in this article, and following the 7 week deadlift workout cycle you should have no problem blowing past your personal deadlift 1 rep max.

WODYN

WODYN

Awards
I'm having a problem with my right leg when I pull a deadlift. My best lift so far is 360 (2 reps) I just did it today. When I pull a heavy dead, my right quad gets "the shakes". It happens as I near the end of the lift. I was able to make it stop, but it sure is annoying. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this just part of getting stronger?

Thanks!
1: what's the break between quad session and DLifts?

2: how long have you been doing same traning cycle without superdrol/break?

3: some people have one leg shorter, does it apply to You?

4: any right knee problems?

oh.. i guess it's all nervous system fatigue

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I've been pulling light (325) and working on my form, especially keeping the weight back on my heels. That seems to have solved the problem, at least for now. This thread sure has a lot of great info in it.