proper way to structure a heavy lifting workout?!

N

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
i've shifted my training goals to now focus on strength, and am wondering what the consensus is of the strongmen over here.

i usually do a set of 20 super light weight to warm up
then do 12 reps, 6 reps, and two sets of 4-3 reps, only testing one rep max every month. 2 minutes break between sets minimum

then when i move onto the next exercise i usually go straight to the 6 reps

wondering how the structure of my reps looks? should i do more low reps stuff, or faster high rep? more warm up?

thanks!

zarro84

zarro84

Awards
Why don't you try 3 waves of 6, 4, 2. Increasing weight each set. The last wave should be close to a max effort.

N

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
with two minutes break between each set or just do them back to back?

A

ajfrfghtr

Awards
you can try 3 sets with 3-5 reps each it works really great for me

N

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
i guess i was looking for some kind of scientific wonder workout but i guess bread and butter workouts are fine....

zarro84

zarro84

Awards
You could rest 2-3 minutes between sets. I like this way because it's a good way to get reps close to 90% and have a good amount of volume. You could also try 3,2,1 waves after you've done a cycle or 2 of 6, 4, 2

G

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
basically you want your core movements, squat, bench, deadlift in the low rep range 1-5, and all your accessory work higher 10+

N

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys! reps.....that is almost what i am doing now, just some slight tweaking and thanks for the reference to elitefts, good spot!

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
basically you want your core movements, squat, bench, deadlift in the low rep range 1-5, and all your accessory work higher 10+

I disagree, depending on what you consider accessory work. For instance, flat/incline/decline DB press I wouldn't be doing 10+ reps with those for any strength gains. I'd be hoisting up the big DB's for a lower rep range. Same with anything else free weight related, only maybe on cables would I do anything for 10+ reps if strength is the goal.

G

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I disagree, depending on what you consider accessory work. For instance, flat/incline/decline DB press I wouldn't be doing 10+ reps with those for any strength gains. I'd be hoisting up the big DB's for a lower rep range. Same with anything else free weight related, only maybe on cables would I do anything for 10+ reps if strength is the goal.

so then i guess some of the strongest guys in the world are wrong?

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
so then i guess some of the strongest guys in the world are wrong?

I dunno, I consider myself fairly strong. I bench 505 raw at 21. And I know what has worked for me, and it's not 10+ reps on accesorry work. I suppose different things work for different people, but for the majority of people, I wouldn't be recommending that approach.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established

Ok, chill dude, if you want me to concede, then fine. You're right. That guy also does westside training. Who's to say the 10+ accessory work is really what is giving him the results? I've trained westside before, I didn't do 10+ reps on accessory work either, but it's the bands and chains on that program that are going to make you stronger, working on applying more force to the weight, which is the principal behind the bands and chains.

Like I said, and let me put this in bold for you, DIFFERENT THINGS WORK FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE.....BUT, i would not recommend the 10+ reps on accesory for the MAJORITY of people.