MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.. just thought I'd say that today i finally deadlifted 405...i know this isn't much compared to a lot of what people are lifting back here but I slowly got back into them after a back injury...hopefully this number will continue to grow!!!!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
congrats. 4 plates is a great milestone.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
Good job!!!

Always pay attention to maintaining the strictest form possible. This may mean slower poundage increases but in the long run it is worth it.

If you can stay focused 495 will be conquered next!!!

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot guys, it felt great to get that weight up finally. Form was not textbook, but was done pretty well. No hitching or rounding out the back, but took me a second or too to get it through the sticking point.

Hey Beez, when did you get through the 405 point? Age 12? :icon_lol:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot guys, it felt great to get that weight up finally. Form was not textbook, but was done pretty well. No hitching or rounding out the back, but took me a second or too to get it through the sticking point.

Hey Beez, when did you get through the 405 point? Age 12? :icon_lol:
hardly, i remember not too long ago being in awe of the guys that could dead 405. couldn't have been more than 2-3 years ago. once you get that form down, your dead just takes off on it's on. the thing that has helped mine the most is heavy ATG squats and good mornings.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The goatee has to help too. That thing just screams bad ass :)

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
the goattee is a counter balance to keep me from toppling over backwards. ;)

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
My low back hurts just reading the thread!!! LOL

(But today it really does hurt)

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
hardly, i remember not too long ago being in awe of the guys that could dead 405. couldn't have been more than 2-3 years ago. once you get that form down, your dead just takes off on it's on. the thing that has helped mine the most is heavy ATG squats and good mornings.
Yep, I was one of those guys a few weeks ago :afro: I think my recent introduction of high rep lunges and heavier front squatting might have contributed as well, but who knows. As for good mornings, a restful night of sleep has always helped my deadlift too. It's a ***** to do them on day im feeling down. J/K...I'm actually going to give some :good: a try this week. They just scare the **** out of me as it looks like they can really **** your back up if you do them wrong. I'm going to try to get one of the trainers in my gym to show me how to do them properly instead of learning the hard way.

My low back hurts just reading the thread!!! LOL

(But today it really does hurt)
. Yep, mine is pretty sore too, although the traps are reallllllyyy on fire. I'm sure my back will be screaming after the good mornings!

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.. just thought I'd say that today i finally deadlifted 405...i know this isn't much compared to a lot of what people are lifting back here but I slowly got back into them after a back injury...hopefully this number will continue to grow!!!!
Congrats man!! Thats definately a big milestone. I just hit 405 probably 4 months ago and last week I got 515, so stick with it and Im sure you'll be continue to pack on the pounds. I completely agree that form is critical. If your form sucks, an injury will definately get you eventually.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd break my neck with good mornings of that size. You would call mine Good Nights or Someonecallthe****ingmedicsfor the loveofGod.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
of course it does, i'm an admin there :D
he misspelled "fairy" as "admin" .. pay him no mind

and congrats man! that really is a milestone in my opinion .. stick with it you'll pull 495 before you know it! .. great job buddy

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
he misspelled "fairy" as "admin" .. pay him no mind

and congrats man! that really is a milestone in my opinion .. stick with it you'll pull 495 before you know it! .. great job buddy
Thanks a lot Glen, I've been trying for quite a while to get that damn bar up lol. But hard work finally paid off! LOL funny you said that, because that was the first thing that came to mind. Immediately after I deadlifted it I was like ..."Damn, I want to pull 5 plates" lol. I always find myself saying things of these sort when when I set a PR. But I guess thats the whole point and fun of doing it, isn't it?

I'm sure it will not be too far away before you pull 600 yourself there big guy. By the looks of your training and diet I'm sure it will come faster than you expect. And you sure are one strong dude to be moving that kind of weight and staying that lean as well! I think most of the people in the iron game wouldn't mind be shredded and strong:bb:

Thanks a lot everyone again for the encouragement here guys. I have found so much useful information and even moral support here. Good job AM!!:bruce3:

Gettinpumped

Gettinpumped

Awards
  • Established
Damn good job man. Im still working on getting that.

beast69

beast69

Awards
Congrats man!! Thats definately a big milestone. I just hit 405 probably 4 months ago and last week I got 515, so stick with it and Im sure you'll be continue to pack on the pounds. I completely agree that form is critical. If your form sucks, an injury will definately get you eventually.
I remember how stoked i was when i when i hit 405 in the summer, then 415 with a hitch in september. Now that i've got my form down, and have been doing deeper squats, I hit 480 just last week.

keep up the awesome work :cool:

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
Congrats dude. I just hit 405 myself, and only after a little less then a year n a half of training! Keep it up!!

PhoebeusFenix

Awards
Huge congrats man! I know the feeling, I just hit it about 3 months ago, and as of today, hit 480 once, for two sets...They just take off! Keep chasing 5 plates man!

donk

Awards
Gratz on 4 plates. Keep up your core work and don't go overboard on deadlifting cause it taxes the hell out of your CNS then 5 plates and no flesh left on your shins will happen in no time.

cavefish

cavefish

Awards
Theres no better feeling than being able to slap another plate on the bar then kicking its ass.

Whaler

Whaler

Awards
Congrats on the 4 plates. I do all the big compound lifts but for me nothing compares to deadlifts. It requires a lot of total body strength but also a ton of mental strength. The first time you hit a milestone like 4 plates it feels so heavy. But then the next time you pull you already know you can lift it so you go up to the bar with more confidence, knowing hey, I can do this. I seems it took forever for me to get to 4 plates but once I did it the first time it quickly became an easy lift that could be done for reps. Then 5 plates was the same way. Used to think “No way I can ever get five plates” but once I did it the first time, I never missed that lift again and now on a good day I can get 2-3 reps. 6 plates….well….I will let you know when I get there. One of the things I love so much about deads is that you can really get psyched up before a lift and then rip the bar off the floor. Compare that to a heavy squat and no matter how mentally prepared and amped you get, you still feel that weight on the way down and it is hard to not to think OMG…this is HEAVY. With deads it is easier to sneak up on it. By the time your mind/body tries to tell you this is heavy the bar is already passing your knees and then there is no looking back.

Freak30

Awards
I agree, once you get it the first time, it is yours. I got up to 435 last summer, and layed off going heavy for a while. About a month ago I put on 405 to see if I could still get it, and it went right up. I am going to have to push for the 5 plates one of these days.

Congrats...

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Huge congrats man! I know the feeling, I just hit it about 3 months ago, and as of today, hit 480 once, for two sets...They just take off! Keep chasing 5 plates man!
N-I-C-E on the 480 brother! You must be dying to pull that 5 man. That’s what happened to me when I was chasing 4 wheels. I kept pulling ~385 and finally pulled through. Whatever your doing, it’s working and I’m sure 495 will come real soon. Let us know how it goes.

Gratz on 4 plates. Keep up your core work and don't go overboard on deadlifting cause it taxes the hell out of your CNS then 5 plates and no flesh left on your shins will happen in no time.
Tell me about it. It definitely happened to me while I was chasing the four. For about a 3 period, the poundages went stale then even started dropping. I wound up having to lay off them completely before I came back to pull it. I actually thought it would be better to wear sweats while deadlifting to protect my shins…I was wrong. Made it much worse and the pants rolling up on my leg screwed me up mentally. Go figure.

Congrats on the 4 plates. I do all the big compound lifts but for me nothing compares to deadlifts. It requires a lot of total body strength but also a ton of mental strength. The first time you hit a milestone like 4 plates it feels so heavy. But then the next time you pull you already know you can lift it so you go up to the bar with more confidence, knowing hey, I can do this. I seems it took forever for me to get to 4 plates but once I did it the first time it quickly became an easy lift that could be done for reps. Then 5 plates was the same way. Used to think “No way I can ever get five plates” but once I did it the first time, I never missed that lift again and now on a good day I can get 2-3 reps. 6 plates….well….I will let you know when I get there. One of the things I love so much about deads is that you can really get psyched up before a lift and then rip the bar off the floor. Compare that to a heavy squat and no matter how mentally prepared and amped you get, you still feel that weight on the way down and it is hard to not to think OMG…this is HEAVY. With deads it is easier to sneak up on it. By the time your mind/body tries to tell you this is heavy the bar is already passing your knees and then there is no looking back.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, and why the deadlift is my favorite exercise. There’s no one to help, only you and the bar. It gives me such a rush. I remember when I first starting going to the gym and I saw people pulling 4 plates and was absolutely amazed. Can’t believe I did it. I love the whole 5 seconds right before you bend down and rip it up. It’s one of those brute strength exercises where you can just go with it.

Nice to see that people are still checking this thread out. I took some major time off from the gym, and I don’t even think I can come close to pulling 405 right now. Hopefully in due time we’ll see. For now I’m easing myself back into.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Whaler, you got a great back going there by the way...nice proportions and GREAT detail

Whaler

Whaler

Awards
Thanks so much for the back comments. It seems there are 3 types of guys. The big guys that get size easily but have to work for definition, the slim guys that easily get definition but have a hard time putting on size and then the guys that grow big easily with lots of definition (I hate those guys…ok, not hate, more like jealousy). I am one of the skinny guys that have to eat all the time and lift heavy to put on any weight at all. Deadifts and squats are also a big help, as I believe they will signal your body to grow more than any other exercises.

You said since you have been away from the gym for a while you may not come close to pulling 405 again. I do not believe that. If not, you may be surprised how quickly you get back to that level, then beyond.

Best advice I can give for anybody wanting to pull a big 1RM (not including training, etc):
1) Be confident. If you think there is a chance you may not pull the weight, you will not pull it. You can doubt yourself up to the time you grab the bar, but once you grip it, you must believe 100% that the weight is going up.
2) Use a power belt. I used to use a tapered bodybuilding belt but it was allowing me to use bad form at times which is a big no no in heavy deads. When I switched to a powerbelt my weights went down because it changed my groove a little but it did not take long to get back to my previous level and then pass it.
3) If you use straps, stop, and start using a reverse grip with chalk. I think you lose too much intensity and a little rebound affect in you legs and back while you are wrapping the straps.
4) Have a buddy stand behind you and right before you bend down to grab the bar have him slap you on top of your traps….HARD. I cannot explain why this works but I know it does work. Josh Thigpen, a professional strongman that goes to my gym got me to try that and it works. There is just something about a guy the size of Josh slapping your traps and yelling at you that makes you want to grab that bar and rip it off the floor.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
donk is spot on about deads taxing the hell out of your CNS. I'm only pulling every other week now, and it's helped a lot. Hit 500 for 10 a couple weeks ago (that was a big PR), as I'm getting ready to start competing in strongman again.

Congrats on the 405, you'll have 5 plates in no time.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Thanks so much for the back comments. It seems there are 3 types of guys. The big guys that get size easily but have to work for definition, the slim guys that easily get definition but have a hard time putting on size and then the guys that grow big easily with lots of definition (I hate those guys…ok, not hate, more like jealousy). I am one of the skinny guys that have to eat all the time and lift heavy to put on any weight at all. Deadifts and squats are also a big help, as I believe they will signal your body to grow more than any other exercises.

You said since you have been away from the gym for a while you may not come close to pulling 405 again. I do not believe that. If not, you may be surprised how quickly you get back to that level, then beyond.

Best advice I can give for anybody wanting to pull a big 1RM (not including training, etc):
1) Be confident. If you think there is a chance you may not pull the weight, you will not pull it. You can doubt yourself up to the time you grab the bar, but once you grip it, you must believe 100% that the weight is going up.
2) Use a power belt. I used to use a tapered bodybuilding belt but it was allowing me to use bad form at times which is a big no no in heavy deads. When I switched to a powerbelt my weights went down because it changed my groove a little but it did not take long to get back to my previous level and then pass it.
3) If you use straps, stop, and start using a reverse grip with chalk. I think you lose too much intensity and a little rebound affect in you legs and back while you are wrapping the straps.
4) Have a buddy stand behind you and right before you bend down to grab the bar have him slap you on top of your traps….HARD. I cannot explain why this works but I know it does work. Josh Thigpen, a professional strongman that goes to my gym got me to try that and it works. There is just something about a guy the size of Josh slapping your traps and yelling at you that makes you want to grab that bar and rip it off the floor.

I’m definitely an endomorph. I grow pretty easily, but struggle for definition. I’m still yet to have visible abs during my bodybuilding career. Even when my diet isn’t in line I can still put on the size and strength pretty easily. It’s funny how that the endo’s wish they were ecto’s and the ecto’s wish they were endo’s. Or maybe you could just say that we all wish were mesomorphs…

I definitely agree with you on the straps. I got into a habit of using them all the time, and my grip strength seemed to suffer as a result. Another thing which I definitely noticed as well was the rebound effect in which you had mentioned. It’s funny how just in that little time it takes to wrap the straps you can actually lose some pre-lift strength in your legs.

As for your tip with having a buddy give you a slap on the back, I’m going to definitely give that a shot. Sounds like a really good way to get amped up. Hell, if it works for Ronnie Coleman I might as well give it a go.

Anyways, thanks for the tips on building my deadlift back to where it used to be and for the encouragement as well. Reps for you for taking the time to give some quality insight!

Mikey

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
donk is spot on about deads taxing the hell out of your CNS. I'm only pulling every other week now, and it's helped a lot. Hit 500 for 10 a couple weeks ago (that was a big PR), as I'm getting ready to start competing in strongman again.

Congrats on the 405, you'll have 5 plates in no time.
That's what my partner has been saying to me as well. It's just so hard sometimes to decide not to deadlift after you fall in love with exercise. I am going to take a break from them in the upcoming week however, and might decide to pull every other week as well. We'll see how it goes though, cuz it's one of my favorite exercises.

500 for 10!!! Holy crap, you must let out a big :yawn: when you pull 405!!! Damn I need to get my numbers up

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
congrats on 405, i remember when I hit 405 it was such a mental rush. How tall are you? Im 6'3 and it sucks ive been stuck at the 440lb range for somewhile

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
congrats on 405, i remember when I hit 405 it was such a mental rush. How tall are you? Im 6'3 and it sucks ive been stuck at the 440lb range for somewhile
Yeah, it gave me quite the mental rush as well. I remember as soon as I did it I almost wanted to try to do it again, lol. At this point though I'm trying to work back into lifting heavy again, hopefully I'lll be able to do it again soon.

I'm 5'11, so I'm not exactly on the taller side. But I have short legs which I feel gives me a slight advantage when it comes to deadlifting and squatting.