Votes: 18 11.0%
  • More than 315#

Votes: 51 31.1%

• Total voters

Old Poser

Awards
Front squats are great exercises.

What is your PR?

Obviously you must go BELOW a "powerlifting" legal depth. A walkout and unlocking the knees does not a front squat make.

I'll go first: 350 lbs

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
haven't done em in a while but will be back in the rotation starting week after next. previous best - 405 x 3.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, I felt special when I put up 275 a few months back, but in my defense I only weigh about 185.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
506:jaw:, so far 315x8lb it's the pain of keeping the bar in place that has kept me from going heavier so i always pussed out, i'm going to get some of those manta ray thingy's that go on the bar to help keep it in place without it really hurting.

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How many of you guys use the elbows up grip (not sure what esle to call it) vs a arms crossed grip?

I can't use the elbows up grip worth a DANM! So I have generally used the arms crossed grip. Best would probably be 305x3, not sure I could get it right now as I haven't done them in awhile and I lose strength and technique on this one quick. This lift IMO ranks up there with one of the most painful.

PastorofMuppets

Awards
Most ever?

345 I think.

Now?

Probably 275, maybe.

And yes, ryansm is a beast.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
506:jaw:, so far 315x8lb it's the pain of keeping the bar in place that has kept me from going heavier so i always pussed out, i'm going to get some of those manta ray thingy's that go on the bar to help keep it in place without it really hurting.
get a front squat harness ;). that was my issue and the reason why i stopped doing them. it was choking me out and it hurt my shoulders holding it there.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Beelze that's exactly what i was thinking of doing now actually, i'll probably get super weird looks but who cares, lol.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
285 X 2

Weak legs are a sin, and I'm thesinner

506, so far 315x8lb it's the pain of keeping the bar in place that has kept me from going heavier so i always pussed out, i'm going to get some of those manta ray thingy's that go on the bar to help keep it in place without it really hurting.
I tie 100lbs or so to my waist, like dip belt. Takes the stress off my wrists, and I'm able to do them without a squat rack (which I currently don't have access to)

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys put the bar on your shoulders and cross your arms so that your palms are on your delts or do you rest the bar in your palms?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Geeez some crazy numbers!! I never tried maxing on the front squat because Im worried about my knees, but usually I hit 225 x 10 after doing regular squats.

BV

Ichidan

Awards
545 off of a below parallel box using a front squat harness

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'm buying the harness i miss these, my legs love em

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i don't know if it counts because I do mine in a smith machine (non counterbalanced) so that I can sit back and keep my knees from going foreward.

with wraps 425x5. I did them this week the first time without wraps. I stopped at 365x5 below paralell, followed by 315 for 3 sets of 5 dropping as low as i could go with my hams stopping against my calves. it was easy but I'll be stepping it up over the next several weeks.

numbers should be about accurate as I do below paralell Zerchers (squats with bar resting in crook of arm in front of you) with 405x5. That's free weight and walkouts.

Where do I get one of those front squat harnesses? I would be real interested in that.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established

Ichidan

Awards
The one i use looks alot like the one on the GS site, i dont know the brand because i just work out at a powerlifting gym and we had it before i arrived. They work well, the bottom will dig into your stomach a bit though.

jjb81speed

jjb81speed

Awards
Dang you guys are beasts!

at 165lbs I hit 315 3 times and 335 once.

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
Ive done 405x2 before, cant recall my bw though. It was many many moons ago.

Jason

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Damn, the best I've done is 235 x 3. Probably could have done a little bit more, but I'm a real stickler for form, and used a 2/3 TUT.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
God i hate front squats

Beige

Awards
  • Established
I just sustained my first ever gym related injury from front squats about a month ago. I had 365 crush me to the floor on the third rep. The funny thing is that I got up and finished my workout pain-free. However once I got out of the car at home it hit me and my lower back was destroyed for days.

5luke2

Awards
ive gotten 315 for 2 or 3 reps and then decided i hate doing front squats and i havent done them since

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ther are felt in my quads. Esp outer sweep when footing is closer together. Love em!

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any links to a good description for front squat technique?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I try to keep from learning forward but man sometimes I feel my lower back trying to straighten , lenthing it, more so than (did I use this word than correctly to all you english/writing scholors or is it then, I took four college classes in Comp/writing and Loved them. I know its not required but it was learnt) front squats.

WODYN

WODYN

Awards
if it hurts keeping the bar on the chest - I suggest to start getting used to proper weightlifting style

after a while it's much easier

it is my goal to reach 200kg/440lbs

but i'm building a strenght base at the moment and it's only partial (approx 1/3) front sqat , which means a lot more weights, I'll try 290-300kg/638-660lbs this Sunday

I do not check my PR as long as i'm sure it's worth doing, I don't want to block my "psycho-berserker-mad animal thing"

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Front Squats work, specifically the outer sweep, is much sorer verses or squat is isnt as sore.

Regular squats hit the upper mid quads more. i forget the name of this muscle. Ill be doing Fronts;a lthough, overall squats seem to make my legs more sore, Im talking Ass to ground squats, below parrell. For now Front squats.

My current eight week routine is front squats but did a shocker this week. Squats and SLDL for hams/quads. went like this , would do a set of squats , wait 3-5 mins then do sldl.Extremely sore.

WODYN

WODYN

Awards
Regular squats hit the upper mid quads more. i forget the name of this muscle.

hey,

how's that possible?
VASTUS MEDIALIS MUSCLE

things you feel are not what what you think it is

each muscle fibre gets the same tension [kg/m^2] all along

chain is as weakas the weakest link

so you can do some difference between work of each head or muscle , but differing stimulation along the lenght of each fibre is a myth

or rather commercial bollocks

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I have no doubt that everyone is a strong mofo... but are these numbers ATF, or parrellel? Because ATF for me is a *****...

WODYN

WODYN

Awards
at least paralell, unless stated it's not
I'm not a fond of full range in any exercise, and I regret I lost f*cking more than 15 years doing full moves, especially for shoulders and biceps

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
I typically go heavy on my back squats and use higher reps on the front squats. I feel the front squats in my lower back like hell. They tear me up way worse than back squats, but i dig the pain.....

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
315 is the most I've done. I've tried more, but it was too much to keep my lower back straight and I dumped the weight forward.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
This thread is old but oh well. You guys put anything under your heels? I do. I throw a 5lb plate under each foot. I feel it helps balance and realy notice a difference/ focus on the front and side.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
315 and it damn near choked me out at the bottom.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
My current eight week routine is front squats but did a shocker this week. Squats and SLDL for hams/quads. went like this , would do a set of squats , wait 3-5 mins then do sldl.Extremely sore.
Yeah that one's a killer! The back squat/front squat superset is another leg destroyer...

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe this thread is still going. I tried the stingray front squat harness. It blew and was useless, so I've pretty much given up on front squats because I'm not willing to pay for the extra heavy duty squat harness.

For me its a matter of mobility in maintaining shoulders raised in that position with heavy weights.

Here is something similar i was doing earlier this year.

Zercher Squats – till elbows ram the quads 410x5 followed by 430x3 (belt only)
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe this thread is still going. I tried the stingray front squat harness. It blew and was useless, so I've pretty much given up on front squats because I'm not willing to pay for the extra heavy duty squat harness.

For me its a matter of mobility in maintaining shoulders raised in that position with heavy weights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcrS-Z9yks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DtHhSXWgU

That is one of the most awkward looking lifts i have seen in quite a while...:blink:

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcrS-Z9yks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DtHhSXWgU
So i assume you crossed your arms and it rested on your forearm area?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
looks almost like the picture in your avatar. i hold my hands together and then rest the bar in the crook of arms. you'll want an elbow sleeve. I take the part of my sleeve that is on forearm and double it back over to reach the inside of forearm. This way it doesn't really cause any issues.

it will force air out of stomach so don't take forever doing them or you run out of air.

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
Wow, nice numbers here. 225 here, but yes it hurts the shoulders. I do want to try the front squat harness, it is a great excersise though.