Looking at Inzer's...Lever or Prong?

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
So I've saved up a bunch of money and finally decided to treat myself to a new belt, and without a doubt I'm going to go with an Inzer, no question. So many people seem loyal to this bout. And although I see a lot of raving about the "Lever" type (Beelze), I do see that still many of you use the 2 prong or 1 prong as well. I have also heard that sometimes the Lever can be a pain in the ass to adjust, and even can get too tight sometimes. I even read over at another board that the lever is more prone to breaking (Don't know if this is really true or not). Is there anyone out there who has had the lever and wish they had a prong belt? Is there anyone out there who has a prong belt and wish they had the lever? Or are some people just like a good old fashioned prong belt even if they're both the same?
Also, a belt is the only equipment I will be using/wearing . No suits, etc. I'd like to invest in one of the Lever type Inzers, but don't want to get one if its a pain in the ass (Adjustment issues, belt too tight etc...) I wear a size 38" waist....Any suggestions on which type to get as well as size? What have you guys been using as of late?

:clean:

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
how do you like to wear your belt for squats? and how about deads?

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
I like a lever belt, because its easier for me to put on over gear. Theyre not hard to adjust, it just involves 2 minutes max and a screwdriver. I honestly think its personal preference, but Im interested to see where GFK2 is going with this.

Jason

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
What exactly do you mean? If you mean tightness, I wear them fairly tight, I mean pretty much suck it in and pull it tight...I don't have anyone help me out and really crank it on...but I do wear it fairly tight. I to would like to know where your going with this because you have a belt yourself and know whats up!! I do like the idea of how the lever makes the belt go on and off easily, however to be honest I'm just having issues with really believing that its just as good as using a prong belt. My initial thought (I guess I'm just old school) would be to get a 2 prong belt. But If the lever really is the way to go im ready to break free of tradition....

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
As i said before, I do wear them fairly tight. But I only get it as tight as I can get it myself, I dont have anyone else pull on it for me, and I dont wear any other lifting gear. Do you have a lever or a prong? Another thing I was thinking about was that the 2 prong might actually be a real pain in the ass considering that the prongs dont swivel. Maybe I'm being way to critical in buying this damn belt, but I guess its just because I know that this thing is going to be around for a long while.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
levers are good but can be a pain to adjust. since you seem like you use the same tightness for both i'd suggest getting the lever. it can get REAL tight and is so simple to take on and off. just a flick

and i have a lever for squats(adjusted for when i'm wearing gear) and a 1 prong for deads since i like a loose belt when deadlifting.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
levers are good but can be a pain to adjust. since you seem like you use the same tightness for both i'd suggest getting the lever. it can get REAL tight and is so simple to take on and off. just a flick

and i have a lever for squats(adjusted for when i'm wearing gear) and a 1 prong for deads since i like a loose belt when deadlifting.
Thanks a lot for the advice...I'm going to order my lever right now!

mastermonster

Awards
I also wear 2 different belts. A lever for squatting set to be tight over my suit and briefs. And a tapered front 10mm power belt (single prong) for benching and deadlifting. It's simple to fasten and I don't like it as tight to Bench and DL. Also, the 10mm thickness lets me arch better for benching, while the tapered front doesn't interferr with getting down to the bar to DL. If I didn't use equipment and liked the belt the same tighness for all lifts I'd go with the lever if using only one belt. Way easier to use if you don't have to adjust it for each lift.

Whaler

Whaler

Awards
I think most of the big powerlifting guys in my gym like lever belts but I bought a belt recently (actually a couple of them) and I opted for a prong belt. The reason is I like a really tight belt on heavy squats but just a snug belt for deadlifts.

Although some guys here may disagree with me, I would not go with the 13mm (1/2 inch thick) belt unless you only plan to use it on really heavy squats. Otherwise, I would opt for the 10mm (3/8 inch thick) belt. For me, the 13mm belt was just too thick and too stiff. It completely changed my groove on deads.

I first bought a double prong 13mm powerbelt. It was a really nice looking belt and well made but it was just too stiff. I then bought a new Schiek Leather powerbelt and a used 10mm powerbelt. The Schiek belt is soooo comfortable but does not offer the support I needed for heavy lifts. However, the 10mm powerbelt I bought works great. It is stiff enough for heavy lifts but manageable enough for deadlifts. Plus, the heavier belt was double prong and the lighter belt was single prong. After trying both, I would go with the single prong.

If you want the thick belt and wear it the same tightness for squats and deads then go with the lever belt. Second choice would be a single prong and third a double prong. If you opt for the 10mm belt then I prefer the single prong but again, if you wear it the same tightness for all your lifts the lever belt would probably be fine. The only thing I would really recommend against is the thick belt in a double prong. That bad boy is tough to get tight…..and even harder to get off after you are already exhausted form a lift. Hope this helps.

Also, as for the lever belt breaking…if you are going with Inzer I personally would not worry about any part of that belt breaking. Inzer is top notch on everything

Ichidan

Awards
I prefer the good old single prong power belt from Inzer. I have had it for the last 8 years and it has held up perfectly fine for several 1000lb+ squats. I like the single prong because it is easily adjustable and can be put on very tight alot more quickly than the 2 prong models which i hate.

donk

Awards
Get a Single prong. Its quick and easy. Two Prong is a pain and feels no different.

Has anyone Tried the new racheting belt?

m4gnum

m4gnum

Awards
Do NOT get the two prong. It offers no advantage over the single and is harder to put on and take off. I have the 13mm single prong myself, and I've nearly gotten stuck in it on occasion. I like the thickness for deadlifts, but it is just too much for squats (I squat narrow and it gets in the way).

Can't speak for the lever because I've never used it, but I know a guy who has one and he seems to like it.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I think most of the big powerlifting guys in my gym like lever belts but I bought a belt recently (actually a couple of them) and I opted for a prong belt. The reason is I like a really tight belt on heavy squats but just a snug belt for deadlifts.

Although some guys here may disagree with me, I would not go with the 13mm (1/2 inch thick) belt unless you only plan to use it on really heavy squats. Otherwise, I would opt for the 10mm (3/8 inch thick) belt. For me, the 13mm belt was just too thick and too stiff. It completely changed my groove on deads.

I first bought a double prong 13mm powerbelt. It was a really nice looking belt and well made but it was just too stiff. I then bought a new Schiek Leather powerbelt and a used 10mm powerbelt. The Schiek belt is soooo comfortable but does not offer the support I needed for heavy lifts. However, the 10mm powerbelt I bought works great. It is stiff enough for heavy lifts but manageable enough for deadlifts. Plus, the heavier belt was double prong and the lighter belt was single prong. After trying both, I would go with the single prong.

If you want the thick belt and wear it the same tightness for squats and deads then go with the lever belt. Second choice would be a single prong and third a double prong. If you opt for the 10mm belt then I prefer the single prong but again, if you wear it the same tightness for all your lifts the lever belt would probably be fine. The only thing I would really recommend against is the thick belt in a double prong. That bad boy is tough to get tight…..and even harder to get off after you are already exhausted form a lift. Hope this helps.

Also, as for the lever belt breaking…if you are going with Inzer I personally would not worry about any part of that belt breaking. Inzer is top notch on everything

Thanks for taking the time for the great response Whaler

I assume the 10mm power belt you have is an Inzer?

I have already bought my belt a few weeks back, and I wound up getting a lever then shortly after getting the 13mm single prong as well, both were purchased from Inzer after a seeing a recommendation by Beelze as well as others here on AM.

The lever is great. That thing gets real tight, just the way I like it for singles, doubles, and triples. Shortly after though I wound up getting a single prong, because like you mentioned yourself, I like a slightly looser belt for deadlifting.

When I first got the belt (13mm) I couldn't believe how thick and stiff the thing felt in comparison to my older and cheaper belt. I rolled it up in the opposite direction very tightly a few times and it loosened up. Now after some use it's starting to break in very nicely. The 10mm might have been a better choice but I'm happy with the 13mm.

For anyone else out there considering buying a belt, I would consider buying a single prong from Inzer first. The levers are good, but it just gives you some adjustability so you can decide how you want your belt at the moment. I'm yet to find a better belt out there.

Whaler

Whaler

Awards
Yes, the 10mm single prong powerbelt I got was an Inzer, although I bought it used. The double prong 13mm belt I got was an RTO brand that I bought new. It has gotten better since I first tried it but overall I still prefer the slightly thinner belt. I am not a real big guy, 5'11" and 195lbs and the thicker belt just felt like overkill to me.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
i have an inzer lever 13mm
it was awkward at first but i just man'd up.

no for real, if you learn how to use it, push out on it hard ,
and just generally get tight in you midsection when performing maximal lifts, it is the only way to go.

you just walk up, snap it over and rip it!
no wondering if it was too loose or tight.
I went to the arnold, and saw ano turtainem squat in the WPO finals, before each lift he would set his belt and then count the holes, to make sure it was set to the right hole.

i dont have the patience.

just my 2c

quigs

quigs

Awards
  • Established
Go with the lever belt. I've had a 2 pronger and then switched over to the lever. I'm really glad that I did...

ddawg91

ddawg91

Awards
  • Established
Love my lever belt. I have both and the lever is by far the most convenient. I even broke one of the tabs on the buckle and then sent me a new one no charge.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I didnt want to start a new thread since I thought that some people would get something out of this post as well, hopefully it doesnt appear to be a hijack.

I am waiting to order a belt from inzer (still havent made a decision on 10mm level or prong yet) but needed some insight on the size of the belt to order. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the belt sizes were some what interchangable. I mean I plan on getting down to a 30-32 in waist but it is going to take some time and am currently at the large belt size of 34-38. If I purchase the 34-38 inch belt does that mean as soon as I get to 33 Im going to have to switch over or is it a little flexible as far as waist size? I mean I guess I will probably just end buying a second belt but just wanted to make sure it would be worth it to buy the larger belt now or maybe just man up on squats and deadlifts for the mean time until I cut down.

Main reason for the belt is that I hurt my back on a deadlift ealier in the year (last 2 reps I arched my back too much and now my lower back is still feeling effects) and its still healing but I want to get back into them and thought a belt would be ideal (did squats this week and they felt ok but did bent over rows and it absolutly killed )to help me back into it

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I didnt want to start a new thread since I thought that some people would get something out of this post as well, hopefully it doesnt appear to be a hijack.

I am waiting to order a belt from inzer (still havent made a decision on 10mm level or prong yet) but needed some insight on the size of the belt to order. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the belt sizes were some what interchangable. I mean I plan on getting down to a 30-32 in waist but it is going to take some time and am currently at the large belt size of 34-38. If I purchase the 34-38 inch belt does that mean as soon as I get to 33 Im going to have to switch over or is it a little flexible as far as waist size? I mean I guess I will probably just end buying a second belt but just wanted to make sure it would be worth it to buy the larger belt now or maybe just man up on squats and deadlifts for the mean time until I cut down.

Main reason for the belt is that I hurt my back on a deadlift ealier in the year (last 2 reps I arched my back too much and now my lower back is still feeling effects) and its still healing but I want to get back into them and thought a belt would be ideal (did squats this week and they felt ok but did bent over rows and it absolutly killed )to help me back into it
No Hi-jack @ all bro...I already got my belt and I'm happy that this thread is helping others make a decision.

I can tell you from experience, go with the slightly smaller belt. Before i started cutting, I used to wear a 36"-38" pant size, so I ordered the XL belt from Inzer. It fit snugly on the 4th hole, which I believe was exactly in the middle from the largest size and the smallest. When I set it really tight, I got in into the 3rd from smallest hole. I had a lot of extra belt which was a pain in the ass to get through the loop, not to mention a lot of extra belt wrapped around you. I'm sure that's okay for extra support, but the 13mm Inzer is the thick enough as is.

I wound up returning the belt and getting a Large. I think the Inzer belt's run quite larger than the suggested size they give you on their page. I think your best bet will be to find someone who has one and try to guage it yourself before buying so you don't have to pay for shipping charges again if it doesn't fit right.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply Mikey, just had a quick follow up. So when you were a 36-38in waist and you returned the belt for the 34-38 in belt you were good to go, did you ever contemplate the next size down?

Ill be ordering the 10mm (leaning to lever atm) so I figure the large (34-38 should be useable) but just wanted to see if it would be useable when I get to a 32 or so waist so i fyou contemplated the next size lower when you were above the max I may just go for the smaller one now but your right best bet would be to find someone with a belt at my gym (most are crappy ones though so IDK how lucky I would be)

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply Mikey, just had a quick follow up. So when you were a 36-38in waist and you returned the belt for the 34-38 in belt you were good to go, did you ever contemplate the next size down?

Ill be ordering the 10mm (leaning to lever atm) so I figure the large (34-38 should be useable) but just wanted to see if it would be useable when I get to a 32 or so waist so i fyou contemplated the next size lower when you were above the max I may just go for the smaller one now but your right best bet would be to find someone with a belt at my gym (most are crappy ones though so IDK how lucky I would be)
Pretty much. I returned the belt for the 34-38, and at the time when I was heavier it was @ the 2nd notch away from the largest setting. Now that I have been cutting, I'm two holes further down. I think this belt will be fine, even @ my absolute lightest I doubt I'll ever have a waist that small. Even if it does get to that point, you can always drill extra ones. If I were you, I'd go with the smaller one.

BigBenchKinc

Awards
I have had an Inzer lever belt for the past 7 years and I love it. A 38 waist would probally be a large belt, but just call Inzer and they will tell u the best size.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The lever belt is awesome. I love it. Gets real tight, and goes on and off very fast. Plus no counting holes or struggling to get your prong belt tight.

Set it and forget it :run: