glute ham machine

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Anybody ever try this?

GLUTE \ HAM STRING MACHINE

I train alone in my garage, so I don't really need anything commercial quality. But they say on elitefts.com that the footplate size and pad position are very important...hard to tell from the picture how good either of those are with this cheaper machine. I've never done a glute ham raise before so I'm not really sure what to look for.

Thanks,
Dan

tattoopierced1

we have one at our gym. they are nice. but you can piece one together if you have a bench and something to secure your feet under.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
we have one at our gym. they are nice. but you can piece one together if you have a bench and something to secure your feet under.
Thanks...are you saying your gym has this exact machine?

I wanted to get some feedback on this particular unit. It's so much cheaper than the alternatives that I'm figuring something has to be not quite right with it...but on the other hand, with no moving parts, it seems like it might not be that easy to screw it up.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
It looks pretty good to me, it appears very adjustable and the knee pad is pretty good sized.

tattoopierced1

not that exact one, but they are all similar. Not sure what brand the one we have is, but it doesnt have the front handles like this one.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
It's used for hyper extensions and glute-ham raises, i friggin LOVE glute-ham raises they are my favourite hamstring exercise bar non, i barely see anyone perform these anymore, maybe that's why most ppl's hamstrings suck. And ya that's a good price most i've seen are up around 1g.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
dont get the one from nybarbells. the quality of the ghr is poor. i know someone who has one. spring the money for a good one. they are one of the best posterior excersizes out there

cubbybear

Awards
dont get the one from nybarbells. the quality of the ghr is poor. i know someone who has one. spring the money for a good one. they are one of the best posterior excersizes out there
I have to agree with this. I bought one from this company because it was cheap, but if I had it to do over again I would have just saved up and gotten a better one to begin with. Overall it just didn't hold up well. The upholstery on mine got torn up quick and the plastic parts on it keep coming off. The biggest problem mine had was after a few weeks the wood inside the knee pads crushed and nails were sticking out through the upholstery. I had someone try to rebuild the pads by reinforcing the inside with more wood, but it's just not quite right. In addition to EFS, you might also want to look at Williams Strength Products, and I think Nebula and York also have some.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I have to agree with this. I bought one from this company because it was cheap, but if I had it to do over again I would have just saved up and gotten a better one to begin with. Overall it just didn't hold up well. The upholstery on mine got torn up quick and the plastic parts on it keep coming off. The biggest problem mine had was after a few weeks the wood inside the knee pads crushed and nails were sticking out through the upholstery. I had someone try to rebuild the pads by reinforcing the inside with more wood, but it's just not quite right. In addition to EFS, you might also want to look at Williams Strength Products, and I think Nebula and York also have some.
I've used the York GHR and it works pretty good. Make sure you get the one with the solid pad and not the two twin roller pad design though.

rm41400

Awards
I've used the York GHR and it works pretty good. Make sure you get the one with the solid pad and not the two twin roller pad design though.
Why do you say not to get the one with the two rollers?

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Why do you say not to get the one with the two rollers?
I've used one, and it didn't feel quite right to me after using one with a solid pad. Plus the design is off from the original. Here's an article from EFS that explains the reasoning behind the pad design: Pumping the Posterior

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
How does this exercise compare to a roman deadlift? $450 and I could a whole new bar and more plates.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
The GHR is very effective at training the entire Hamstring at both points of insertion. I've used the York GHR with the single, solid pad and it seemed to work well, but with $450, I would get a bar and more plates. Just my .02

rm41400

Awards
The GHR is very effective at training the entire Hamstring at both points of insertion. I've used the York GHR with the single, solid pad and it seemed to work well, but with $450, I would get a bar and more plates. Just my .02
Where did you find the York unit at $450.00? The cheapest I have seen it is $650.00

(EDIT-Disregard the above question, I missed the post before)

Which brings me back to why I am stuck on the York unit versus some of the other commercial units.It seems to be close to half the price of the Elite equivilent and about $500 less then Sorinex.

Is the quality of the York GHR heavy commercial like a cybex or other commercial brand? I know you are not crazy about the pad or pad angle on it ( However, $700 does not justify the diffenrence to me, I can make a new pad and weld a new brace for $50.00.) but other than that what did you think?

Thanks for your help buddy!

ballzasteel

Awards
rm41400,
If you are refering to the unit in the picture, I have that exact model. It is very poor in quality. I am very disappointed with it, seeing that its $450. The foot plate is welded on crooked, several screws do not fit because the holes were drilled incorrectly, the wood platforms enclosed under the padding and vinyl of the knee paddings cuts into my knees, not to mention there is hardly any padding at all, and the plastic pieces keep coming off from certain places. Oh, it is also very difficult to adjust. If you are going to buy one I would definitely shell out some money for one of better quality.

rm41400

Awards
rm41400,
If you are refering to the unit in the picture, I have that exact model. It is very poor in quality. I am very disappointed with it, seeing that its $450. The foot plate is welded on crooked, several screws do not fit because the holes were drilled incorrectly, the wood platforms enclosed under the padding and vinyl of the knee paddings cuts into my knees, not to mention there is hardly any padding at all, and the plastic pieces keep coming off from certain places. Oh, it is also very difficult to adjust. If you are going to buy one I would definitely shell out some money for one of better quality.

The picture linked by Cpa5oh? Yes I imagine that unit is a POS. I have owned TDS equipment and will never own again.

I was refering to the York Barbell brand Product - *New! York Glute Ham Bench

It is not the same as "New York" Barbell... lol.

It is made by "York Barbell" sounds close but totally different.
Thanks for your input though.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's used for hyper extensions and glute-ham raises, i friggin LOVE glute-ham raises they are my favourite hamstring exercise bar non, i barely see anyone perform these anymore, maybe that's why most ppl's hamstrings suck. And ya that's a good price most i've seen are up around 1g.
The one in my gym says the primary muscles worked are the Glutes

Secondary are Hams.

So it mainly targets the Glutes then then hams...