endurance?

bigblue01

Awards
I have just got done bulking going from 165 to 205. I had to scrape and claw for every pound so I am very worried about keeping my weight up. I need to build my endurance up for football season next year so I have some time

Should I:

Focus on plyometrics and build endurance that way

Focus on treadmill training ????

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Man, how many times are you gonna post this? Someone will answer. Have patience.

bigblue01

Awards
If you are not going to answer my question dont comment.

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
That all depends on what postion you play. Try asking your coach.

bigblue01

Awards
Thanks gettingswole, those links will help a lot!

baxter32

Awards
The best endurance exercise is the one you can do on a regular basis. For me personally, light jogging 4 to 5 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour worked well for getting me in shape for football. Obviously you'll have to build up gradually. In terms of keeping your weight up, just be sure to increase your calories enough to compensate for the increased cardio.

GettingSwole

GettingSwole

Awards
The best endurance exercise is the one you can do on a regular basis. For me personally, light jogging 4 to 5 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour worked well for getting me in shape for football. Obviously you'll have to build up gradually. In terms of keeping your weight up, just be sure to increase your calories enough to compensate for the increased cardio.
Honestly, that may have worked but there are much better ways you could go about getting in shape for football.

The conditing should reflect the sport, how often do you lightly jog in a game of football? Almost never, you would be better off running sprints and performing change of direction drills.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Hill running, sled dragging, tire flipping, car pushing, box jumps and jump rope

That will make you one mean mother :D

Ichidan

Awards
In order to build endurance for football, you need energy system work that simulates the timing and intensity of football. Typically a play might last for 5 seconds and then you may have 30 seconds of rest between plays. You need to find exercises that allow you to go all out for 5 seconds or so such as tire flips, sprints, plyos etc. You can shorten your resting times below 30 seconds if you like. Distance running is useless as a football player because football is not an aerobic sport. Other things like sled dragging, dynamic squats with low rest times, pushing a car, kettlebell drags, cleans for doubles with short rest times are all good for endurance also. Asides from that, shorten your rest times during workouts to build anaerbobic endurance.

800mrunner

Banned
Awards
if your a football player go by what they are telling you. you dont need tons of endurence you just have to be able to hold your form most of the game.

work on sprint drills.

you dont need any kind of distance running or anything really over 200m per rep.