Mullet's First Meet (Maybe)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Mullet's First Meet (Maybe)


    There is a meet coming up where I have just moved and I am thinking about entering on the advice of an IPF Pro bencher that I have met. Seems like it could be a good time, one of the trainers at the Y is a competing PL'er as well and may have a suit that can fit me. If I decide to go for it my training will probably alter ALOT, as I have not been training singles or bandwork or anything like that. Anyway the meet is called the Niagara Open I believe and it is in Janurary. If I can figure out a suit good enough by then I plan to pull a 585+, no ideas yet on my pushes...Wish me luck.

  2. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hawaii Nei
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Rep Power
    0

    Good luck! What will you be entered in? Just deadlift or main 3 total?
  3. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    I think I will go for the full Push/Pull, I may as well. I will be competing at 200 probably, though if this meet goes well I might try and cut to 180 and retain strength.
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hawaii Nei
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    I think I will go for the full Push/Pull, I may as well. I will be competing at 200 probably, though if this meet goes well I might try and cut to 180 and retain strength.
    What exactly is Push/Pull consisting of? I dont know much about PL comps...
  5. Registered User
    UHCougar05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Home or The Warehouse Gym
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,227
    Rep Power
    736

    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    What exactly is Push/Pull consisting of? I dont know much about PL comps...
    Bench and Deadlift.
  6. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Exactamundo
  7. Gold Member
    Pitbull954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    963

    If you do this Mullet can you video tape yourself? If so that would be kick azz to throw the video up on here.. Jayhawkk votes for the deadlift video? Hmm wonder why?
  8. Gold Member
    Pitbull954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    963

    Good luck BTW if you do it
  9. Gold Member
    mp5man1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    203

    Good luck with that. And a video would be cool if you could get that
  10. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    There is a meet coming up where I have just moved and I am thinking about entering on the advice of an IPF Pro bencher that I have met. Seems like it could be a good time, one of the trainers at the Y is a competing PL'er as well and may have a suit that can fit me. If I decide to go for it my training will probably alter ALOT, as I have not been training singles or bandwork or anything like that. Anyway the meet is called the Niagara Open I believe and it is in Janurary. If I can figure out a suit good enough by then I plan to pull a 585+, no ideas yet on my pushes...Wish me luck.

    definately do it man, you will have a blast and will be hooked. you're life will never be the same again

    and yes, you're training will differ A LOT but for the better. and if i were you i would cruise at 200 eating clean and getting stronger, when meet time comes around just cut back carbs and weigh in at 198. no need to drop all the way down to 180, you'll be in the same weight class and you're strength will suffer too much dropping that much weight in only a couple months.
  11. Gold Member
    Rivet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,700
    Rep Power
    965

    Thumbs up


    Good luck! I see your allready making friends in STC
  12. Registered User
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fedor over Lindland in under 4 minutes
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,068
    Rep Power
    2648

    Do suits help at all in deadlifting? Good luck, what bench are you shooting for?
  13. King Kong
    Board Sponsor
    idunk42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Quahog
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,348
    Rep Power
    1286

    I wish you nothing but the best bro!! I know the type of person you are, and if you have a set goal in mind, I know that you'll achieve it.
  14. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Do suits help at all in deadlifting? Good luck, what bench are you shooting for?
    actaully depends on the person, some people it helps, some people it hurts. you only get like 50lbs out of one though, they dont help as much as squat suits and bench shirts.
  15. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,382
    Rep Power
    2867

    Good luck and if you plan on doing another meet i suggest you do some test+Tren
  16. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS
    Good luck and if you plan on doing another meet i suggest you do some test+Tren
    pretty much the only thing you'll actually get gains from
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Yeah, CHAPS I think that wonderful combo will be my next cycle, with maybe my ol' buddy Super at the front. To the bench question, I am really not sure, benching just isn't my forte. I will do the whole meet basically for experience.

    And thanks Idunk!
  18. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,382
    Rep Power
    2867

    Close grip bench press, floor presses, Dips, tate presses, standing military presses, will all increase your bench. Personally i don't do bench press anymore i prefer dumbbells, but i DO love to squat and deadlift.
  19. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    just a little fyi for ya mullet:

    superdrol = bad back pumps = a powerlifters worst nightmare
  20. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At the buffet
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    27397

    Does this mean you want those sexy pink leotards back?

    Good luck bro.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  21. Registered User
    animal570's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    delaware
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    110

    First meets are the best man. If you need some help planning anything out let me know. And let me know how that shirt fits bc i bet i can tell you some alterations to make to it that'll make a world of difference


    tommy d
  22. Registered User
    jecko29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    324

    Hey bro, best of luck. One question though, is the meet in St Catharines and are you now in my province without even telling me

    jecko
  23. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Haha.

    BP-No

    Animal-Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

    Jecko-LOL..Sorry man, I totally spaced, I am currently in St.Kitts yeah

    Kop-I actually never recieved any back pumps from Super, even going upto 30mg
  24. Registered User
    Basso's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    857

    How far out from the meet date are you? If your only a couple months out don't concentrate on gaining strength at this point, you need to hone your form! Good PL form on the bench can add 50lbs+, Are you going to be using a DL suit or a Squat suit for the DL? Some PLers wear a squat suit backwards, personnally I like wearing a loose squat suit (training tight) it just makes me feel tight during the lift. A properly fitting squat suit is almost impossible to get my hands on the bar and my arse down at the same time.
  25. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Well the guy who is giving it to me is sponsored so he has tons of gear of laying around. Anyway, he'll be giving me a Dead suit, and letting me use a smaller squat suit to wear. He is a little larger than me so the Dead suit will fit a little looser. I believe he said it was Titan, but I'm not sure
  26. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,382
    Rep Power
    2867

    Does Halotestin give you back pumps?
  27. Registered User
    jecko29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    324

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Haha.

    BP-No

    Animal-Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

    Jecko-LOL..Sorry man, I totally spaced, I am currently in St.Kitts yeah

    Kop-I actually never recieved any back pumps from Super, even going upto 30mg
    Nice bro, I take it you're at Brock then eh? Good school, a bunch of my buddies played Varsity hockey there, of course that was 10 years ago

    jecko
  28. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier

    Kop-I actually never recieved any back pumps from Super, even going upto 30mg

    interesting, i could barely bend over to pick the bar up when doing deads.

    and what does your routine look like for the meet?
  29. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS
    Does Halotestin give you back pumps?
    most orals give you back pumps
  30. Registered User
    Basso's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    857

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Well the guy who is giving it to me is sponsored so he has tons of gear of laying around. Anyway, he'll be giving me a Dead suit, and letting me use a smaller squat suit to wear. He is a little larger than me so the Dead suit will fit a little looser. I believe he said it was Titan, but I'm not sure
    Titan? that's probably the worst choice for a first suit IMO, anyway prepare yourself for a lot of pain getting that SOB on, hopefully you'll have help, even if it's what Titan would consider loose it will be painful. I love their shirts but they can keep the suits! I'd rather give up 10lbs and where an old school Inzer then put up with the pain and agony of doning the suit.
  31. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Yeah, I'm a broke ass college student, and PL'ing wasn't/isn't my first ambition so I can't buy a new one. But I will heed your advice in the future. Kop-just more strength work for back, training for size never hurt in getting my Dead to where it is, so I may just go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality"
  32. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Yeah, I'm a broke ass college student, and PL'ing wasn't/isn't my first ambition so I can't buy a new one. But I will heed your advice in the future. Kop-just more strength work for back, training for size never hurt in getting my Dead to where it is, so I may just go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality"

    might want to do a progressive overload type setup for your weights. normally you want to workup and hit either your first or second attempt your last workout, then take the week off before the meet.
  33. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Oh yeah, well Prog. Overload is actually part of any training I do, so that's covered. I didn't know that last part though, I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Thanks for all the tips.
  34. ktw
    ktw is offline
    Registered User
    ktw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    651
    Rep Power
    431

    Updates, did you ever do the meet?
  35. Registered User
    PumpingIron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,690
    Rep Power
    2461

    I can't believe i missed this one...

    So, mullet, howd you do?

    If you ended up doing the meet, I really hope you have a picture of you in a tight suit......sexy
  36. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Long story short....I got fat and cut, so strength went down and no meet. Still got the suit though!
  37. Registered User
    PumpingIron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,690
    Rep Power
    2461

    If you still got the suit. I still want to see the pictures.

  38. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Haha, you got it.
  39. Registered User
    Whaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    45
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    114

    What total weight do you feel you need to reach in order to be competitive in powerlifting? Sounds like we are similar in weight, in the 195-200lb range. There are a couple guys at my gym that do powerlifting but they are both so far above my weight class I can not compare myself to them. While you are young and on your way up the fitness/strength curve, I may not have that many more years left to do this at 38. I want to try a competition so I can at least know what it is like. I do not have to win but I do not want to embarrass myself either. So what total weight would you feel you need to hit at 195ish pounds in a push/pull or in a full 3-event meet?
  40. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    What total weight do you feel you need to reach in order to be competitive in powerlifting? Sounds like we are similar in weight, in the 195-200lb range. There are a couple guys at my gym that do powerlifting but they are both so far above my weight class I can not compare myself to them. While you are young and on your way up the fitness/strength curve, I may not have that many more years left to do this at 38. I want to try a competition so I can at least know what it is like. I do not have to win but I do not want to embarrass myself either. So what total weight would you feel you need to hit at 195ish pounds in a push/pull or in a full 3-event meet?
    It's hard to say. At the meet I was going to compete at (I still went) a 195lber had the highest 3 Lift Total. If you feel you can cut weight w/o losing strength, you can always think about competing in a lower class.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. My Girl's First Meet
    By bmcjames in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM
  2. Just got back from my first meet.
    By Sweekaters in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 06:09 AM
  3. 10 Weeks Out from First Meet...
    By CDiesel313 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM
  4. guyfromkop2's first meet
    By guyfromkop2 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in