Mullet's First Meet (Maybe)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is a meet coming up where I have just moved and I am thinking about entering on the advice of an IPF Pro bencher that I have met. Seems like it could be a good time, one of the trainers at the Y is a competing PL'er as well and may have a suit that can fit me. If I decide to go for it my training will probably alter ALOT, as I have not been training singles or bandwork or anything like that. Anyway the meet is called the Niagara Open I believe and it is in Janurary. If I can figure out a suit good enough by then I plan to pull a 585+, no ideas yet on my pushes...Wish me luck.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck! What will you be entered in? Just deadlift or main 3 total?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think I will go for the full Push/Pull, I may as well. I will be competing at 200 probably, though if this meet goes well I might try and cut to 180 and retain strength.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think I will go for the full Push/Pull, I may as well. I will be competing at 200 probably, though if this meet goes well I might try and cut to 180 and retain strength.
What exactly is Push/Pull consisting of? I dont know much about PL comps...

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
If you do this Mullet can you video tape yourself? If so that would be kick azz to throw the video up on here.. Jayhawkk votes for the deadlift video? Hmm wonder why? :toofunny:

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
Good luck with that. And a video would be cool if you could get that

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There is a meet coming up where I have just moved and I am thinking about entering on the advice of an IPF Pro bencher that I have met. Seems like it could be a good time, one of the trainers at the Y is a competing PL'er as well and may have a suit that can fit me. If I decide to go for it my training will probably alter ALOT, as I have not been training singles or bandwork or anything like that. Anyway the meet is called the Niagara Open I believe and it is in Janurary. If I can figure out a suit good enough by then I plan to pull a 585+, no ideas yet on my pushes...Wish me luck.

definately do it man, you will have a blast and will be hooked. you're life will never be the same again :D

and yes, you're training will differ A LOT but for the better. and if i were you i would cruise at 200 eating clean and getting stronger, when meet time comes around just cut back carbs and weigh in at 198. no need to drop all the way down to 180, you'll be in the same weight class and you're strength will suffer too much dropping that much weight in only a couple months.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Good luck! I see your allready making friends in STC :)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Do suits help at all in deadlifting? Good luck, what bench are you shooting for?

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I wish you nothing but the best bro!! I know the type of person you are, and if you have a set goal in mind, I know that you'll achieve it.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do suits help at all in deadlifting? Good luck, what bench are you shooting for?
actaully depends on the person, some people it helps, some people it hurts. you only get like 50lbs out of one though, they dont help as much as squat suits and bench shirts.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Good luck and if you plan on doing another meet i suggest you do some test+Tren :twisted:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, CHAPS I think that wonderful combo will be my next cycle, with maybe my ol' buddy Super at the front. To the bench question, I am really not sure, benching just isn't my forte. I will do the whole meet basically for experience.

And thanks Idunk!

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Close grip bench press, floor presses, Dips, tate presses, standing military presses, will all increase your bench. Personally i don't do bench press anymore i prefer dumbbells, but i DO love to squat and deadlift.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just a little fyi for ya mullet:

superdrol = bad back pumps = a powerlifters worst nightmare :D

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Does this mean you want those sexy pink leotards back?

Good luck bro.

animal570

Awards
First meets are the best man. If you need some help planning anything out let me know. And let me know how that shirt fits bc i bet i can tell you some alterations to make to it that'll make a world of difference

tommy d

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro, best of luck. One question though, is the meet in St Catharines and are you now in my province without even telling me :think:

jecko

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha.

BP-No

Animal-Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

Jecko-LOL..Sorry man, I totally spaced, I am currently in St.Kitts yeah

Kop-I actually never recieved any back pumps from Super, even going upto 30mg

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
How far out from the meet date are you? If your only a couple months out don't concentrate on gaining strength at this point, you need to hone your form! Good PL form on the bench can add 50lbs+, Are you going to be using a DL suit or a Squat suit for the DL? Some PLers wear a squat suit backwards, personnally I like wearing a loose squat suit (training tight) it just makes me feel tight during the lift. A properly fitting squat suit is almost impossible to get my hands on the bar and my arse down at the same time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the guy who is giving it to me is sponsored so he has tons of gear of laying around. Anyway, he'll be giving me a Dead suit, and letting me use a smaller squat suit to wear. He is a little larger than me so the Dead suit will fit a little looser. I believe he said it was Titan, but I'm not sure

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
Haha.

BP-No

Animal-Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

Jecko-LOL..Sorry man, I totally spaced, I am currently in St.Kitts yeah

Nice bro, I take it you're at Brock then eh? Good school, a bunch of my buddies played Varsity hockey there, of course that was 10 years ago :D

jecko

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

interesting, i could barely bend over to pick the bar up when doing deads.

and what does your routine look like for the meet?

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Well the guy who is giving it to me is sponsored so he has tons of gear of laying around. Anyway, he'll be giving me a Dead suit, and letting me use a smaller squat suit to wear. He is a little larger than me so the Dead suit will fit a little looser. I believe he said it was Titan, but I'm not sure
Titan? that's probably the worst choice for a first suit IMO, anyway prepare yourself for a lot of pain getting that SOB on, hopefully you'll have help, even if it's what Titan would consider loose it will be painful. I love their shirts but they can keep the suits! I'd rather give up 10lbs and where an old school Inzer then put up with the pain and agony of doning the suit.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I'm a broke ass college student, and PL'ing wasn't/isn't my first ambition so I can't buy a new one. But I will heed your advice in the future. Kop-just more strength work for back, training for size never hurt in getting my Dead to where it is, so I may just go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality"

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm a broke ass college student, and PL'ing wasn't/isn't my first ambition so I can't buy a new one. But I will heed your advice in the future. Kop-just more strength work for back, training for size never hurt in getting my Dead to where it is, so I may just go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality"

might want to do a progressive overload type setup for your weights. normally you want to workup and hit either your first or second attempt your last workout, then take the week off before the meet.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh yeah, well Prog. Overload is actually part of any training I do, so that's covered. I didn't know that last part though, I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Thanks for all the tips.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe i missed this one...

So, mullet, howd you do?

If you ended up doing the meet, I really hope you have a picture of you in a tight suit......sexy

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Long story short....I got fat and cut, so strength went down and no meet. Still got the suit though!

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
If you still got the suit. I still want to see the pictures.

:ntome:

Whaler

Whaler

Awards
What total weight do you feel you need to reach in order to be competitive in powerlifting? Sounds like we are similar in weight, in the 195-200lb range. There are a couple guys at my gym that do powerlifting but they are both so far above my weight class I can not compare myself to them. While you are young and on your way up the fitness/strength curve, I may not have that many more years left to do this at 38. I want to try a competition so I can at least know what it is like. I do not have to win but I do not want to embarrass myself either. So what total weight would you feel you need to hit at 195ish pounds in a push/pull or in a full 3-event meet?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What total weight do you feel you need to reach in order to be competitive in powerlifting? Sounds like we are similar in weight, in the 195-200lb range. There are a couple guys at my gym that do powerlifting but they are both so far above my weight class I can not compare myself to them. While you are young and on your way up the fitness/strength curve, I may not have that many more years left to do this at 38. I want to try a competition so I can at least know what it is like. I do not have to win but I do not want to embarrass myself either. So what total weight would you feel you need to hit at 195ish pounds in a push/pull or in a full 3-event meet?
It's hard to say. At the meet I was going to compete at (I still went) a 195lber had the highest 3 Lift Total. If you feel you can cut weight w/o losing strength, you can always think about competing in a lower class.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Mullet, I know in the past i've been able to put a little over 1200lbs total up (raw)...maybe even more like 1300.

So I'm just curious as to what the total was at the meet?

Whaler

Whaler

Awards
PumpingIron, how much do you weigh? Your numbers are similar to mine. I have never did all three in the same day and I assume that may hurt my results some, but if I take my current max lifts, I am just over 1300. (BP=315, Squat=450 and DL=550). That total is raw since I have never even tried a bench shirt or squat/DL suit, but I do wear a belt and add knee wraps on the heavy squats. Looking at some of the results at the National Championship level, those guys are unbelievable. The guys 200/under are doing 1500 to almost 1800 lbs. That sort of puts me in my place.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm about 195 now...when I was putting up those numbers (just about the same as yours) I was probably around 210ish...

All i've ever used is a belt...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mullet, I know in the past i've been able to put a little over 1200lbs total up (raw)...maybe even more like 1300.

So I'm just curious as to what the total was at the meet?
A solid 1900lbs I believe for the open weight. I was hoping to put up around a 1500, maybe 1400 total. I only really had a Dead suit, and that didn't add too much. Those were my raw totals as well.