Olympic Lift workout?

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for a balanced 3x a week weight lifting routine that implements at least one or 2 olympic lifts or deadlifts, squat, bench daily. I really don't know all the types of olympic lifts and the best combo or way to set them up. Just wondering if anyone could help me out or show me the best way to get this started. Thought more people would know in the powerlifting forum than any other.

axekick

Awards
I too am about to start using olympic lifts. By olympic lifts I mean the sntch and the clean and jerk. I need to build some explosive power to help me in my grappling. Do a google search on olyimpic lifts and you will find websites with videos of them.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
I just started a four day routine I really like. I know you said three but I find it hard to hit all the lifts in three days as olympic lifts take a lot out of me generally.
Day 1
snatch
squat
jerk
goodmorning
if time overhead squat

Day 2
Bench
pullups/lat pulldowns
shoulder press
lockouts or floor press (close grip)
some bicep
clap pushups

Day 3
powerclean
deadlift
front squat
lunge
depending on time maybe more legs like ghr's, curls, extensions

Day 4
Barbell or T-bar rows
incline bench
seated row or dumbbell row
weighted dips
some bicep

axekick

Awards
Wow! That's a baddass workout. I'm not sure I wouldn't overtrain on that routine. How often do you workout? What kind of rep-set sceme do you do?

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
workout sets and reps depend on whether or not I have my workout partner that day or if someone is around I trust to spot me. Bench I have been doing 3x3 one week with two boards, next week with one, and the next week down five pounds and no boards. Everything else is just a few warmup sets and then one or two worksets of usually 5 or less. Deadlifts 3 or less. Olympic lifts are also usually 3 or less. Dips, Biceps and Pushups are generally the only things I go more than 5 or 6 on. All lifts have been going up pretty steady except squat, which is because I have a nagging groin that acts up every now and then, so I don't feel overtrained. I am sure I will though and then will take time off. Workouts are Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday generally.

axekick

Awards
That looks good to me. If you're like me then you will respond well to the low reps. Not only that, theyre fun. I hate doing ten of anything in the gym and in fact I don't seem to gain strength or size when I do them exclusively.

Will you have speed days?

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It really depends on what you are trying to do. I can lay out a routine specifically oriented to olympic lifting for competing purposes, however, this may not be what you are looking for.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
It really depends on what you are trying to do. I can lay out a routine specifically oriented to olympic lifting for competing purposes, however, this may not be what you are looking for.
I'm really just looking for a workout that will keep me gaining weight, help me get back in shape a tay (leaving some days for cardio), and where I can work on alot of the lifts. I am going to be a strength and conditioning coach and although I know how to correctly teach the lifts, I myself haven't done them besides deadlifts and push presses really in 4 or 5 years. I kinda want a bodybuilding routine, with the olympic lifts being the main core lifts. At least for now. Currently I'm doing 3x a week: back - Monday (Deadlift, Pullups, Curls, Grip work) Chest/Shoulders - Wednesday (Pushpress, Bench Press, Arnold Presses, Tricep Extensions) Legs - Friday (3 position power clean, squat, lunges, calf work) Everything is around a 5x5 or 4x5 rotation. Help me fix this up if you can. I need to work in some snatch and jerk stuff, but I'm currently battling bursitis in my shoulder so I left those out until it gets better.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I just started a four day routine I really like. I know you said three but I find it hard to hit all the lifts in three days as olympic lifts take a lot out of me generally.
Day 1
snatch
squat
jerk
goodmorning
if time overhead squat

Day 2
Bench
pullups/lat pulldowns
shoulder press
lockouts or floor press (close grip)
some bicep
clap pushups

Day 3
powerclean
deadlift
front squat
lunge
depending on time maybe more legs like ghr's, curls, extensions

Day 4
Barbell or T-bar rows
incline bench
seated row or dumbbell row
weighted dips
some bicep

This routine looks good. It seems similar to the westside principles with the rep schemes and boards and such. Looks like a great way to incorporate the olympic style lifts. Although I feel you can build explosiveness just the same with bands on speed days, (As I have worked with olympic lifts too) I may give this a whirl myself, Nice post jason.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Alright check my post on the 5x5, there is a o lifting version on that site that you can check out.

Check out www.fortifiediron.com, check out the o lifting forum and some of the logs, lots of good o lifters on there. Glenn Pendelay or whatever posts and critiques on Welcome to the Official Website of the Midwest Maddogs Powerlifting Team, he advocates a morphed 5x5 as well. You could also just do a search for old Russian and Bulgarian programs, there are some beginner ones that probably won't over train you.

Here is where I become somewhat of an ass. Do you have any experience with the lifts, like working with a coach or having someone really experienced critiquing your form? If not, find somebody, whether it be through the internet or in person. The lifts are really technical, a few fractions of an inch or pulling back just at the right time can make the difference between missing and hitting. Most weightlifters that push good totals will tell you that they spent the first few months of training practicing with a broomstick or bar until their form was perfect. My coach did so for a year. It's a pain in the ass and not fun, but it is what pretty much every nation does for their lifters, starting at a very young age. You also won't form hard to break motor habits this way.

I don't know about you, but that above routine would destroy me if the reps really never go over 6 for all of those heavy compound movements. Your heavy main lifts should be at most triples, or singles done below 90% and most lifters do not even do more than doubles due to form reasons. Most O lifters front squat at around 65-80% and do so for explosive doubles or singles. Accessory work is usually done after a workout and in normal reps. I do not know anyone that jerks and snatches on a same day, the common thing I see is to military press or shoulder press if anything. Also I have never heard of people at Westside doing o lifts so I'm not sure why Peterson analyzed it to their principles. If you mean that it's in a way conjugated then you are incorrect, since the above routine seems to go on linear periodization and not conjugated periodization. Give me about a day and I will get all of my info off another comp. and post links to it.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I was just stating this with a quick glance at the program. With the rep scheme, I should of said the amount of exercises done. I meant the program seems to have a main lift and then surrounded with assistance work. I was not getting into conjugated and linear periodizations.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Word, check out those links I gave you, you should be able to sign up at those boards and have plenty of people help you, including trainers and those that have been competing for years.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for a balanced 3x a week weight lifting routine that implements at least one or 2 olympic lifts or deadlifts, squat, bench daily. I really don't know all the types of olympic lifts and the best combo or way to set them up. Just wondering if anyone could help me out or show me the best way to get this started. Thought more people would know in the powerlifting forum than any other.
Starting Strength

Mark Rippetoe
Lon Killgore

Been great for me.

WF