thinking of getting into powerlifting

• Thread starter touchdownthirty
  • Start date
touchdownthirty

touchdownthirty

Awards
hey all...im seriously wondering about getting into competitions...namely benching...i'm around 170 and cutting...when i was 155 i was maxing 330 (according to calculators) and repping 275...i have horrible knees and was wondering what the competition would look like for ppl in my weight class in benching

doom3q

Banned
Awards
150 and maxing 330? That's pretty damn good!

How tall are you? You would do extremely well in your weight class.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah...I'm no agriculturalist but that sounds pretty good. You may need to be very well-rounded though (including squatting and DLs which sucks for your knees)....but I know nothing about PLing

touchdownthirty

touchdownthirty

Awards
thanks guys

hopefully i can get some info as to how benching contest go and what competitions are like...very excited just thinking about it

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Yeah...I'm no agriculturalist but that sounds pretty good. You may need to be very well-rounded though (including squatting and DLs which sucks for your knees)....but I know nothing about PLing
squatting and deadlifting are bad for your knees ONLY if you don't know what you're doing.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hey all...im seriously wondering about getting into competitions...namely benching...i'm around 170 and cutting...when i was 155 i was maxing 330 (according to calculators) and repping 275...i have horrible knees and was wondering what the competition would look like for ppl in my weight class in benching

when was the last time you benched and what is your max?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Max rep calculators are a bad way to calculate your max because they totally disregard your own personal fast/slow fiber ratio. I used to rely on those calculators when I was in high school, and it never worked: always off by at least 20lbs.

To put it simply, you can't do it until you do it.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
the rep calculator put me at 638 :D nickw better watch out.

touchdownthirty

touchdownthirty

Awards
when was the last time you benched and what is your max?
i havent let myself max for about 4 months now...i look at it as my reward...last time i benched it was 245x6, 255x6, 265x6

on lower reps (which i like a lot better) it looks like 260x3, 270x3, 280x3

nobady

Awards
How did you perform your max? bounced, touch and go, paused at chest?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How did you perform your max? bounced, touch and go, paused at chest?
benching in pling meets is paused, it's a lot easier when you have a shirt on, but most guys when doing lower reps pause all there reps

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i havent let myself max for about 4 months now...i look at it as my reward...last time i benched it was 245x6, 255x6, 265x6

on lower reps (which i like a lot better) it looks like 260x3, 270x3, 280x3

did you actually do these? or is it from the rep calculator

touchdownthirty

touchdownthirty

Awards
did you actually do these? or is it from the rep calculator

i actually did this

however they were all touch and go...i've realized that's something im gonna have to definitely change though:sad:

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i actually did this

however they were all touch and go...i've realized that's something im gonna have to definitely change though:sad:

if you plan on competing raw find out what your pause bench is