thinking about trying what do you think?

kraned

Awards
Let me start by saying I have really started learning a lot from this forum. I haved messed around with weights all my life. I am 30yrs old right now and have always just tried to keep myself descent looking. I have always been fascinated with being strong so I have always tried to handle heavier weights. I feel like the good Lord blessed me with good genetics so why not try out something different like powerlifting. I weigh about 205 right now and I am a hard gainer. I can loose weight really quickly. My ? is am I to old to even get into something like this and I guess a even bigger ? would be do I have what it takes. As far as upper body strength goes here are some of my current lifts

Flat bench- 405x4 reps
Incline bench-365x3 reps
Seated behind neck military-275x4 reps
Hammer strength shoulder press-410x5 reps

Lower body- heres the sad part I have neglected my lower body for about 2 yrs now. I have probably only worked legs 3 times this year and unfortunately never done deadlifts. But my legs are genetically gifted and respond quickly and get very strong. I have recently started doing deads about 2 weeks ago along with legs. So I am working on form with deads right now

After my 2nd time ever doing deads I tried a max and pulled 500lbs. Hey it’s a starting point :)

On squats I go all the way to ground with it. Kind of like a catcher in baseball I go all the down and just sit there for about 3 seconds and try and explode back up. I got 405 for three reps the other day like that.
So there you have it. I believe if I had the right training regimen I could possibly get stronger. So any feed back negative or positive is greatly appreciated. Sorry for such a long post to!

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
You definitely have a great base to work from, that's for sure. Bench looks good and so does your deadlift. On squats, you don't have to go nearly as low as you do or pause at the bottom. The rules I've gone by say that you only have to break parallel (where the crease of the hip is below the knee) and no further.

You are most definitely not too old for powerlifting. They have different age groups and you can choose to lift in an age bracket or in an open class (any age for a certain weight class). I do enjoy powerlifting and I'm looking to compete in a year. It's fun, and the camaraderie is unmatched. :D

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
very nice base, most guys ahve to work really hard(myself included) to get those numbers. the pauses are very good too. it's actually good to go that deep raw because if you start to use any kind of briefs or squat suit there is no way you are getting that deep. and you're never too old to start :D

kraned

Awards
Thanks alot guys for the comments. When I do actually work legs once in a blue moon I have always gone that deep. It justs feels like Im working the legs and back a little harder that way. plus my legs respond alot quicker that way. I just need to put a workout program in place and start on it. I am so use to working one body part a week so it will be a little different for me. So I will see if i can throw one together and mabey some of you can tweek it for me. here is aphoto from a few months ago at 205.

Attachments

MrStick

Awards
You are going into your peak for powerlifting. Are you thinking about doing a meet anytime?

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Thanks alot guys for the comments. When I do actually work legs once in a blue moon I have always gone that deep. It justs feels like Im working the legs and back a little harder that way. plus my legs respond alot quicker that way. I just need to put a workout program in place and start on it. I am so use to working one body part a week so it will be a little different for me. So I will see if i can throw one together and mabey some of you can tweek it for me. here is aphoto from a few months ago at 205.

Good God man... what is that eating your neck?

Sick traps bro. Good luck with the lifting, the boys on here will get you straightened out.

kraned

Awards
I’m thinking about training for about 6 months and depending upon what progress I have made I may jump into a comp. then. I really don’t know how I got the traps I have only been doing shrugs for a couple of years now. I think it may be from all the behind the neck military I do. Been doing them for years.

B4n3 0n3

Quick question how tall are you? I must admit when I read the post I thought the weights you were saying were B.S., then I say your picture:jaw:

kraned

Awards
thanks man! I just started this powerlifting workout and i can say its alot different than the typical one bodypart a week i was used to. I have got alot of work to do!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
awesome strength and leanness. you have a genetic gift, use it.