Bench is Back!

Operator

Awards
Starting working on triples and doubles lately. Hit 295 for 4 and 305 for 2 in my last bench workout so that's back on track. My best bench in competition was 345 in the 181lb 40-44 master class.
I'm 47 now and working to beat that.
Squat and deadlift are coming along slowly. Damn old stiff back of mine. I'm working mostly speed and conditioning on these two lifts until I join a gym again, than up the weight goes (hopefully).

Posted this cause I'm kind of pumped up right now, very happy. The girlfriend thought I'd gone nuts when she heard me whopping and hollering down in the basement (after hitting the 305x2).

Oh, I weigh around 195 right now but BF% is still too high. I should be down to 185 -190 soon though.

BS Nutrition

Awards
Nice work Op. Those are some good lifts. You even broke your own record at bench. What is your chest routine like? Thats good your working your back slowly, back pain will kill any workout!

Operator

Awards
Nice work Op. Those are some good lifts. You even broke your own record at bench. What is your chest routine like? Thats good your working your back slowly, back pain will kill any workout!
Thank you sir. My routine is very minimal as I usually can't do much volume in my workouts. As I've aged, I've moved away from high volume and starting working HIT, or some variant.

Right now I'm working up to heavy triples and my routine for my last bench session was:
Warmups - progressive heavier weights, 145x8, 225x5, 245x2, 275x1
Workout - 295x6, 305x3
These were not to failure but you can see, heavy (for me) and low volume.
Assistance work:
Close grip bench 245x6, 225x8
Dips - couple of sets of 10 - 12 reps
Skull crushers using some dumbells are 50 - 70 pound range with higher reps, didn't count :)
I will switch off in a few weeks to a higher rep, lower weight workout in a few weeks, then speed work next, then back to the heavy stuff.
I find that staying away from heavy all the time saves my body from injury.
Take care.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Do you compete RAW? Nice work, glad to hear you're back on track.

Operator

Awards
Do you compete RAW? Nice work, glad to hear you're back on track.
I've competed both RAW and Equipped. My best bench was with a single ply INZER. I had done 320 RAW before that, at 181.
I hope I can work my way past 350 with the single ply. I feel like it's possible right now. :) Need to start looking around for some local meets.

BS Nutrition

Awards
You seem pretty determined, youll hit that 350 mark brotha!