True measure of strength??

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. True measure of strength??


    Why is it, when someone wants to know how strong you are they ask how much can you bench? Or if looking at this forum, it's always about the Bench or sometimes even the squat, then the argument turns to gear. This guy squatted 1200+ but with a canvas suit and did he go deep enough, etc etc. It's all starting to annoy me, every board is pretty much the same and we all know that it's extremely hard to measure who's the biggest badest due to multiple feds, rules etc.

    What about the deadlift? If someone can pick up 900lbs, isn't that a more accurate picture of power vs a momentum movement like the squat? I mean it doesn't matter if his form sucks or if he uses a suit, or what ever, a deadlift is a deadlift. If someone can stand up with a grand he's the man and there is nothing to question, he's one strong mofo.

    I propose all strength comparisons be changed to the deadlift! It will give us much less to argue over and provide a much clearer picture of true power

    Ok I'm done I just had to get that off my chest and I couldn't bench it off.


  2. I would like to refute this due to my deadlift sucking at the moment

    but in reality, you should take in account how much someone weighs compared to the weight they are pulling
    •   
       


  3. I agree but we always seem to focus on the weight lifted, Coan broke 1000 squat at 235lbs, to me that was the biggest squat 4x body weight holy ****e!

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Basso
    I agree but we always seem to focus on the weight lifted, Coan broke 1000 squat at 235lbs, to me that was the biggest squat 4x body weight holy ****e!
    Yeah, thats pretty sick. I'm not even at 2x yet, close, but not yet.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Basso
    Why is it, when someone wants to know how strong you are they ask how much can you bench? Or if looking at this forum, it's always about the Bench or sometimes even the squat, then the argument turns to gear. This guy squatted 1200+ but with a canvas suit and did he go deep enough, etc etc. It's all starting to annoy me, every board is pretty much the same and we all know that it's extremely hard to measure who's the biggest badest due to multiple feds, rules etc.

    What about the deadlift? If someone can pick up 900lbs, isn't that a more accurate picture of power vs a momentum movement like the squat? I mean it doesn't matter if his form sucks or if he uses a suit, or what ever, a deadlift is a deadlift. If someone can stand up with a grand he's the man and there is nothing to question, he's one strong mofo.

    I propose all strength comparisons be changed to the deadlift! It will give us much less to argue over and provide a much clearer picture of true power

    Ok I'm done I just had to get that off my chest and I couldn't bench it off.
    that's why when we started teamsniffy we dont allow bashing of anyone's lifts
    •   
       


  6. Sounds good to me Basso!! My dead is much better than my squat or bench!

  7. I think a true measure of power personally would be the Olympic lifts since they are more a true measure of strength and speed, jmo. But as far as true strength deadlift is certainly a good measurement. The thing is everyone is different and has certain lifts that they exceed at.


  8. Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    I think a true measure of power personally would be the Olympic lifts since they are more a true measure of strength and speed, jmo. But as far as true strength deadlift is certainly a good measurement. The thing is everyone is different and has certain lifts that they exceed at.
    olys are super technical, poor choice imo

  9. Yes, poor choice for a novice, but in the long run a better measure of power.


  10. Oly's a good choice for those who lift that style, the reason I like the deadlift is that anybody can pick up a bar. (plus I suck at Oly lifts )

  11. Weight lifting and olympic lifting are kinda different too. Maybe not apples and oranges different, but red apples and green apples...lol

    Weight lifting has a speed component to it, hence the power generated and forces against the ground.

    Power lifting doesn't have the speed component. You can do a slow deadlift, but you can't do a slow clean and jerk.

    Personally I think the world class olympic lifters are pretty amazing! Wish I was better at those lifts.

  12. And everybody has a diffrent idea about strength. Ask a special ops guy and he'll say how far and fast can I hump a 60lbs ruck cross country.
    Ask an Oly lifter you get snatch and C&J
    Ask a Pler some will say Squat and some will say deads.
    Its all on who you ask.

  13. I was just having this conversation today. I've gotten a teacher I work with to hit the gym at school with me. Second time in there, some jackass kid asked him how much he benches. He feels stupid b/c he is weak (ultra-noob). I tell him to ignore the kids and do his thing, and added that the DL is an infinitely better example than bench. What is the obsession with how much you can push off your chest laying supine on a bench????

  14. The bench press is definitely a good measure of total upper body strength, here is the problem I have with it.
    1. Joker A can bench 350lbs has 18" arms and 17" thighs(who cares what you can bench if you can barely support your upper body)
    2. Inconsistency in rules, you have the gym lift which you always assume is touch and go, hopefully ass stays on the bench etc. But when comparing official BPs you have to really look at what fed, gear, and other rules where used.

    I guess I was a little annoyed yesterday (hence this thread) this kid asked me if I could give him some pointers on his bench. He's a big kid, 6'2"ish around 230lbs probably 23yrs old, and he can throw some bench presses around, I've seen him bouncing 365 for triples. Anyway I tried to tell him that BPing every day isn't going to help him get planted on the bench, stop bouncing start DLing etc Anyway he just wants his bench to get bigger so I was wasting my time, poor kids gonna end up breaking a rib or two eventually.

    See here I go again, ranting!

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Basso
    The bench press is definitely a good measure of total upper body strength, here is the problem I have with it.
    1. Joker A can bench 350lbs has 18" arms and 17" thighs(who cares what you can bench if you can barely support your upper body)
    2. Inconsistency in rules, you have the gym lift which you always assume is touch and go, hopefully ass stays on the bench etc. But when comparing official BPs you have to really look at what fed, gear, and other rules where used.

    I guess I was a little annoyed yesterday (hence this thread) this kid asked me if I could give him some pointers on his bench. He's a big kid, 6'2"ish around 230lbs probably 23yrs old, and he can throw some bench presses around, I've seen him bouncing 365 for triples. Anyway I tried to tell him that BPing every day isn't going to help him get planted on the bench, stop bouncing start DLing etc Anyway he just wants his bench to get bigger so I was wasting my time, poor kids gonna end up breaking a rib or two eventually.

    See here I go again, ranting!
    that's the beauty of an ipod, put in the earphones and most people leave you alone, and when they do ask for advice or you give it to them because it hurts just looking at them, 9 out of 10 times they never follow what you say anyway

  16. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    that's the beauty of an ipod, put in the earphones and most people leave you alone, and when they do ask for advice or you give it to them because it hurts just looking at them, 9 out of 10 times they never follow what you say anyway
    LoL, I haven't been using my iPod since I've had a partner, it will be nice to not have a partner (moving) and workout with my old iPod partner, you're right people do not bother you nearly as much, plus I don't hear all the BS the PTs are handing out (that really makes me sick to my stomach!)

  17. to answer the original question, deadlift isn't that well known among the general population of lifters. bench and squat are, bench a lot more well known due to high school gyms promoting it from year to year. i've had to show many a lifter how to deadlift because they've never heard of it. noone has ever asked me how to bench or squat, the movement is the in the name itself.

    JMO, of course.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Basso
    plus I don't hear all the BS the PTs are handing out (that really makes me sick to my stomach!)
    yet another reason i like working out at a hardcore gym

  19. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    yet another reason i like working out at a hardcore gym
    Someday Even if I have to build it myself!

  20. a deadlift is a deadlift except when it's a deadlift with (or without) straps.

  21. Pullups are also a great measure of upper body strength. People associate them with high reps, but slap on some 45s and they are deadly.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Pullups are also a great measure of upper body strength. People associate them with high reps, but slap on some 45s and they are deadly.
    I agree. I maxed out on pull ups once, as retarded of a concept as that sounds, and cranked out 4 reps with 90lbs in weight attached. It's pretty neat to think that If I weighed 270lbs at the same strength level I'm at now, I could still crank out 4 pull ups. I know some PL'ers in the 230lb range that need to use bands for pull ups, which is sad IMO.

  23. Bands?

  24. How about the not-so-popular pullovers?

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Bands?
    http://powerliftingstore.com/index.php?cPath=16_17

    They're like giant elastics, the tension increases as you stretch them out, or you can set them up backwards to help you get the weight off the floor in a deadlift.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. My rate of strength increase...fast, slow, average?
    By cpa5oh in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 05:46 PM
  2. Loss of Strength and muscle during cutting
    By SeaHawk22 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 04:38 PM
  3. The True Meaning of Thanksgiving!
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 06:55 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 10:19 AM
  5. 5 Core Concepts of Strength Training
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Log in
Log in