Smith Rack Deadlift form - AnabolicMinds.com

Smith Rack Deadlift form

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Smith Rack Deadlift form


    I did these in the gym the other day rather than actual deadlifts and I kinda like them. However, i am not quite sure about my form...here's how I do them:

    I start a couple of inches below my kneecap and then extend up...seems simple enough, right? Well I feel as though I'm about to break in half and I'm not sure if I should feel it more in my lower back or in my hamstrings or both. Any thoughts?

    Oh, I last time I did regular deads for 3 sets of 8 at 185, 245, 225. This time I did the smith deads for 225, 315, 315 x 8. I felt hella strong, too bad I was only moving the weight a few inches...lol.

  2. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Reputation

    Tough to say without seeing you do them. The important things are your back staying straight, and that your extending everything at the same time (as in your legs going straight first then back = bad form). Deads in and of themselves involve everything around your hips: hams, erectors, glutes, etc... so you're going to feel them in all those places.

    Never thought to do them in a smith before, maybe will give it a try next back day, see what they feel like!
  3. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    Not trying to be a jerk but I wouldn't EVER do DL's in the smith machine unless I had no other choice. I'm going to make the assumption that you guys know the reasons behind this, so sorry to chime in with negativity. The smith machine is kind of a pet peeve of mine, especially if free wieghts are available.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Reputation

    Oh I agree Wideguy, FWs rule by far. I'm just not going to completely knock the smith deads mentioned until I at least try them and see what they feel like.

    I do my squats in a smith, only because I do some competing in strongman comps. Whenever we have a squat event, it's in some kind of machine aparatus, so smith squats is the only way to really train for that event.
  5. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    i wouldn't normally use a smith machine, but the university gym doesn't have a rack of any sort. Plus, I've been told on numerous occasions to not do deads since i'm not supposed to remove the bars from the benches. I guess they think I'll tear up the floor. Essentially, if I want to do rack deads I have to use the smith machine.
  6. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    smith machine and deadlifts should never be put in the same sentence, ever.

    do you have a power rack or squat rack? if so just do them in there
  7. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    no, i don't have a smith or squat rack
  8. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    WOW! That sounds like the gym at my college. Pretty decent size school (Stockton), nice swimming pool, track, bb court, volleyball, ect. ect. The weight room is in this cramped little non ventilated room ABOVE A CLASS ROOM. So the slightest banging of a weight = a proff. coming up to give you a earfull. I'm not a real weight dropper though (unless I'm dl'ing or shrugging or something happens that I need a power rack) so I got away with it. Still a truly unthoughtout and sucky gym set up.

    I dont' know how heavy yours going/how heavy the dumbells in the gym are but you could consider doing some of the following:

    Stiff legged db dead
    DB good mornings
    Lunges
    Step Ups

    IMO they'd all probably be better choices then deads on the smith.

    Also I've recently come across a technique that CT pointed out to make the lying leg curl machine ALOT more useful (IMO). I think they're called Giordona leg curls. You basically do regular lying leg curls but you hold your upper body/torso off the bench (try to lock your arms out like you where at the top of a pushup off the bench) while in that position perform your leg curls. I did them last night and NEVER felt more hamstring activation from doing leg curls in my life. BTW, it seems to really cut the amout of weight one can use. I'm normally good for 140-160 lbs for 3 sets of 10-12 after doing heavey rack pulls. Last night I had to drop down to 90 and it HURT BADD!
  9. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,380
    Rep Power
    2866

    Reputation

    Having your feet in a pronated position will cause more hamstring activation on leg curls.
  10. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    Pronated? I thought is was plantar flexion and dorsi-flexion. Maybe I'm wrong? Eitherway what I think you're trying to say is that you get more hamstring activation if you point your toes when performing leg curls. Right?
  11. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    Pronated? I thought is was plantar flexion and dorsi-flexion. Maybe I'm wrong? Eitherway what I think you're trying to say is that you get more hamstring activation if you point your toes when performing leg curls. Right?
    huh?
  12. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Reputation

    I think he means plantar flexion, that takes the gastroc out of play as a knee flexor.
  13. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH
    I think he means plantar flexion, that takes the gastroc out of play as a knee flexor.
    what?
  14. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    Are you joking around?

    It's late and I'm slow as it is. Or do you not know what the terms I might have mispelled mean?

    Kind of irrellevant considering how much you outlift me by though ;-)
  15. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    what?

    oh, just go back to your deadlifts, you girly man...lol. I'm just kiddin' around. It's late and I don't know what's going on.
  16. New Member
    powerfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    116

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    i wouldn't normally use a smith machine, but the university gym doesn't have a rack of any sort. Plus, I've been told on numerous occasions to not do deads since i'm not supposed to remove the bars from the benches.
    Sound's like the gym here at Oregon State University... My advice is to get the hell out of the university gym and go join a gym off campus. Call all the local gyms and ask if they have platforms, hopefully one will. It's what I did and luckly I found a really great gym here.
  17. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by powerfiend
    Sound's like the gym here at Oregon State University... My advice is to get the hell out of the university gym and go join a gym off campus. Call all the local gyms and ask if they have platforms, hopefully one will. It's what I did and luckly I found a really great gym here.

    I would but it's the typical college story--I can't afford to pay for another gym when I have a pretty decent gym here (they just don't have any racks) and I can somewhat get away with doing sl deads and deadlifts, but it is highly frownded on.
  18. New Member
    powerfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    116

    Reputation

    It does suck having to pay for a membership... especially when you have to pay for tuition and the darn textbooks. They can frown all they want on the deadlifts, but if they try to kick you out just throw the loaded barbell at them

    Good luck with your training
  19. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by powerfiend
    if they try to kick you out just throw the loaded barbell at them

    Good luck with your training


    yeah, I'll laugh when the skinny pricks try to catch a couple hundred pounds and drop like a rock
  20. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    drop all the big words because when it's you and the bar they dont mean a damn thing, and dsl, i'm sure you can find a gym at your school that will let you do regular deadlifts, i'll bet the football team does em.
  21. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    Aww c'mon guy big words are fun!

    While I suspect I know the answer, do you ever use anthing other then compound free weight movements for your hams/hipflexors, or anywhere else?
  22. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    drop all the big words because when it's you and the bar they dont mean a damn thing, and dsl, i'm sure you can find a gym at your school that will let you do regular deadlifts, i'll bet the football team does em.

    no can do...the football team does have their own gym, but us normal folk aren't allowed in there.
  23. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    that sucks man, are you even allowed to put the bar on the ground at all?
  24. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    Aww c'mon guy big words are fun!

    While I suspect I know the answer, do you ever use anthing other then compound free weight movements for your hams/hipflexors, or anywhere else?
    big words dont lift the bar for you

    and i use free weights/bands/chains for all my compound movements. i use some machines. but for the big stuff it's free weights all the way.

    i'm not saying i hate machines, i just hate smith machines why do something on a machine when you can do it with free weights? you train your stabelizer muscles when you use free weights. plus how many powerlifters do their whole workouts on machines?
  25. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    that sucks man, are you even allowed to put the bar on the ground at all?


    No not really, but I do anyways. I have several variations of a workout plan that Bobo has given me, but I was just trying something new to see if I would like it.

    I don't actually use machines that much at all, but I have to do smith squats. I can already hear guyfromkop yelling, but it's the best I can do and Bobo didn't seem to think it would be that big of a deal so I have stuck with it.
  26. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    You could try one legged squats with dumbells.

    I knew what you're going to say guy, but my main interest aren't quite the same as you. Stil the paths to get there are similar, just a little more of this and a little less of that for a longer portion of time in you're training career.

    Another silly question, do you have a home gym or have a hardcore pl'ing gym or do you just bring your wn chains and bands?
  27. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    No not really, but I do anyways. I have several variations of a workout plan that Bobo has given me, but I was just trying something new to see if I would like it.

    I don't actually use machines that much at all, but I have to do smith squats. I can already hear guyfromkop yelling, but it's the best I can do and Bobo didn't seem to think it would be that big of a deal so I have stuck with it.
    smith and squat should never go together, and you dont even have anywhere you can squat in that gym?
  28. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    You could try one legged squats with dumbells.

    I knew what you're going to say guy, but my main interest aren't quite the same as you. Stil the paths to get there are similar, just a little more of this and a little less of that for a longer portion of time in you're training career.

    Another silly question, do you have a home gym or have a hardcore pl'ing gym or do you just bring your wn chains and bands?
    i use my own bands, but i workout at a hardcore powerlifting/olympic/strongman gym. it's owned by a strongman and celtic games competitor, the only thing we dont have is a monolift
  29. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    F'in A Cotton! F'in A!!

    That's a nice set up bro. Imagine it helps out alot. Any input on what I've been suggesting to the stuggling college student, in terms of decent lifts to perform that meet the ****ty criterion he's laid out with his gym?
  30. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2334

    Reputation

    try bringing in something soft to put under the plates when you dead, id do em anyway but just be quiet and dont draw any negative attention on yourself. If they ***** then say hey im not ruining the floor and im not disturbing others and i dont think they have any rational reasoning to say no anymore. If they do its cause they are ego maniacal and dont respect student becaus ethey are above you ( I hate that attitude). Good luck
  31. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    i highly doubt they dont have some sort of power/squat rack in the corner. 99% of gyms i've been to have them. and if that one doesnt, go to another gym on campus, someone is bound to have it. and one legged squats are ok i guess, i've never done them, but nothing and i mean nothing replaces barbell squats.

    and good call somewhatgifted.
  32. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    i use my own bands, but i workout at a hardcore powerlifting/olympic/strongman gym. it's owned by a strongman and celtic games competitor, the only thing we dont have is a monolift
    That sounds a tad familiar, you aren't in the Boston area are ya??
  33. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH
    That sounds a tad familiar, you aren't in the Boston area are ya??
    nope, philly philly, philly is where i am from
  34. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Reputation

    Gotcha! Your gym sounds (and looks by your avatar), like a great place to train!
  35. Registered User
    Basso's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    857

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    smith machine and deadlifts should never be put in the same sentence, ever.

    do you have a power rack or squat rack? if so just do them in there
    LoL, oh man are you correct, that is a recipe for disaster!

    Actually I don't think smith machine and weight room go together very well either jmho
  36. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2334

    Reputation

    Talking


    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    smith and squat should never go together, and you dont even have anywhere you can squat in that gym?
    I agree the smith takes you out of your natural plane of movement, that is why you back hurts, the angles are all wrong. When you do deads it isnt straight up and down. Now smith bench presses take you out of your plane, but you have to remember your spine and the shoulder ball and socket joints differ greatly.
  37. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH
    Gotcha! Your gym sounds (and looks by your avatar), like a great place to train!
    best decision i ever made to start going there. i drive 30-45 min but i dont care at all
  38. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    Smith machine, one legged squats are pretty good. Light weight movemnt that hasn't bothered me yet and I have back injuries i have to watch for.
  39. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    Yeah they're not bad but you'd get more stabilizer work out of doing them with dumbells. So based on what's available you might wanna do 1 legged dumbells squats (they're pretty hard imo so you won't need nearly as much weight as a regular barbell squat), then do you last set in the smith to not have to worrry about balancing and really focus on the full ROM and try and get a nice pump.
  40. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    try and get a nice pump.
    you're not a powerlifter are you
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Proper Straight Leg Deadlift form?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
  2. Deadlift form tip
    By McCoy1989 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
  3. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
  4. Smith machine deadlift ?
    By sonofsteven in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
  5. proper deadlift form
    By phasar in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in