Smith Rack Deadlift form

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Board Supporter

i highly doubt they dont have some sort of power/squat rack in the corner. 99% of gyms i've been to have them. and if that one doesnt, go to another gym on campus, someone is bound to have it. and one legged squats are ok i guess, i've never done them, but nothing and i mean nothing replaces barbell squats.

and good call somewhatgifted.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    i use my own bands, but i workout at a hardcore powerlifting/olympic/strongman gym. it's owned by a strongman and celtic games competitor, the only thing we dont have is a monolift
    That sounds a tad familiar, you aren't in the Boston area are ya??
  3. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH
    That sounds a tad familiar, you aren't in the Boston area are ya??
    nope, philly philly, philly is where i am from
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.

Gotcha! Your gym sounds (and looks by your avatar), like a great place to train!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.

smith machine and deadlifts should never be put in the same sentence, ever.

do you have a power rack or squat rack? if so just do them in there
    LoL, oh man are you correct, that is a recipe for disaster!

Actually I don't think smith machine and weight room go together very well either jmho
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Talking

smith and squat should never go together, and you dont even have anywhere you can squat in that gym?
    I agree the smith takes you out of your natural plane of movement, that is why you back hurts, the angles are all wrong. When you do deads it isnt straight up and down. Now smith bench presses take you out of your plane, but you have to remember your spine and the shoulder ball and socket joints differ greatly.
  7. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH
    Gotcha! Your gym sounds (and looks by your avatar), like a great place to train!
    best decision i ever made to start going there. i drive 30-45 min but i dont care at all
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Smith machine, one legged squats are pretty good. Light weight movemnt that hasn't bothered me yet and I have back injuries i have to watch for.
  9. Board Supporter

Yeah they're not bad but you'd get more stabilizer work out of doing them with dumbells. So based on what's available you might wanna do 1 legged dumbells squats (they're pretty hard imo so you won't need nearly as much weight as a regular barbell squat), then do you last set in the smith to not have to worrry about balancing and really focus on the full ROM and try and get a nice pump.
  10. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    try and get a nice pump.
    you're not a powerlifter are you
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Dunno about him but i'm sure as hell not Seen too many powerlifters with serious injuries for me to go that route. Fun to watch the Powerlifting comps though.

...Just curious but I suppose as a power lifter you don't want a pump?
  12. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Dunno about him but i'm sure as hell not Seen too many powerlifters with serious injuries for me to go that route. Fun to watch the Powerlifting comps though.

...Just curious but I suppose as a power lifter you don't want a pump?
    pump may look pretty and all, but it doesnt help you lift the bar
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.

Yeah they're not bad but you'd get more stabilizer work out of doing them with dumbells. So based on what's available you might wanna do 1 legged dumbells squats (they're pretty hard imo so you won't need nearly as much weight as a regular barbell squat), then do you last set in the smith to not have to worrry about balancing and really focus on the full ROM and try and get a nice pump.
    Doesn't it take twice as long to do them with only one leg?
  14. Board Supporter

Yup but it also allows you to work on your weaker leg, and focus on any imbalances you might have. On top of that in this instance I'm merely suggesting them based on the fact that our original poster has the dilema of not having a power/squat rack. Which obviously blows, no matter what type of lifter you are.

BTW, while it's Definitely not the focus of a Pl's routine. Training that illicits "the pump" IMO does have it's place to fully develop the muscle from both the BB's or PL's standpoint. Or not in your opinion guy?
  15. Board Supporter

BTW, while it's Definitely not the focus of a Pl's routine. Training that illicits "the pump" IMO does have it's place to fully develop the muscle from both the BB's or PL's standpoint. Or not in your opinion guy?
    no, in all the stuff i'ver read, and all the big time plers i've talked to, they dont train for the pump, in fact i know a couple guys that would be pissing there pants right now talking about the pump, it's nice when it's a side effect, but it's never one of the main reasons for doing an excersize. getting shredded and muscles out the wazoo is just a nice biproduct
  16. dsl
    officially an adult

pump may look pretty and all, but it doesnt help you lift the bar

the pump is your friend...lol. at any rate I most definatley train to get bigger, strength is just a side effect
  17. Board Supporter

why be a guy who's big but weak? why not be a guy who's big and strong as a bull? ever see the 275 and under guys in powerlifting? most of them could step on a stage and wiin bbing contests
  18. dsl
    officially an adult

why be a guy who's big but weak? why not be a guy who's big and strong as a bull? ever see the 275 and under guys in powerlifting? most of them could step on a stage and wiin bbing contests

I have thought about training for strength, but at this point in my life I don't feel the need to be super strong. I don't think it would benefit me as a clinical psychologist either. I just want more size rather than strength.

Don't get me wrong, I respect powerlifter's. Actually my aunt and uncle used to compete at the bench press competitions and I believe that my aunt has actually set a national record or two. She scares me
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.

I don't understand why anyone would want to be big and not strong? Aern't you afraid some punk with a "little guy complex" is gonna beat the livin **** out of you?

Functional muscle seems like a worthy cause, pretty muscle, well, why?
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

There's a misconception that if you have big muscles but aren't a power lfiter you're going to be weak. The main reason why BBr's, in my opinion, come off as weak in a lot of power lifting type of lifts is because of lack of proper form and in many cases having the joints and muscles used to those types of movements.

Those who think the ripped 19 inch arms are weak are misleading themselves. I mean I can bench over 400 which may be weak compared to a strongman lifter hitting upwards of 1k but you're still going to be stronger than a mjaority of folks you run into.

Edit:Wanted to add it's the same for those people who think to be a power lifter you have to be fat.
  21. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    I just want more size rather than strength.
    this is like sayign you like seeing a girl with big boobs, but when you take her home and take off her bra you realize it's all padding. false advertising my man. you're young though. you'll see the light before long
  22. Board Supporter

There's a misconception that if you have big muscles but aren't a power lfiter you're going to be weak. The main reason why BBr's, in my opinion, come off as weak in a lot of power lifting type of lifts is because of lack of proper form and in many cases having the joints and muscles used to those types of movements.

Those who think the ripped 19 inch arms are weak are misleading themselves. I mean I can bench over 400 which may be weak compared to a strongman lifter hitting upwards of 1k but you're still going to be stronger than a mjaority of folks you run into.

Edit:Wanted to add it's the same for those people who think to be a power lifter you have to be fat.
    i know a lot of bbers that are strong as oxes when they are bulking, when they are cutting and close to a show they are the weakest you'll ever see. but to become a successful bber you have to have 2 things. 1. great genetics and 2. lots of juice. if you dont have both you arent going anywhere. powerlifting on the other hand anybody can compete in.
  23. dsl
    officially an adult

this is like sayign you like seeing a girl with big boobs, but when you take her home and take off her bra you realize it's all padding. false advertising my man. you're young though. you'll see the light before long

I like that analogy. At any rate I just think we will have to agree to disagree. Maybe in the future I will change to powerlifting when I feel fine with my size, but right now that ain't gonna happen.
  24. Board Supporter

I like that analogy. At any rate I just think we will have to agree to disagree. Maybe in the future I will change to powerlifting when I feel fine with my size, but right now that ain't gonna happen.
    oh i'm not saying you have to start training like a powerlifter, but train for strength. try to go up in weights each week or as much as possible. just dont be "that guy" that does 30 sets of curls and zero back work.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

26. dsl
    officially an adult

oh i'm not saying you have to start training like a powerlifter, but train for strength. try to go up in weights each week or as much as possible. just dont be "that guy" that does 30 sets of curls and zero back work.

Oh, I see what you're saying...lol. Like I said, I am using a program that Bobo made along with a cutting diet. He made sure that I hit everything and I am even doing real deadlifts!! So you can breath a sigh of relief, Guy.

Currently my strength is going up and my bodyfat is goin' down. Granted strength isn't syrocketing but it's gradual and adds up over months.
  27. Board Supporter

Currently my strength is going up and my bodyfat is goin' down. Granted strength isn't syrocketing but it's gradual and adds up over months.
    imagine that, some people say that that is impossible
  28. Board Supporter

please dont tell me you are one of those people
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Depends. Which person are you talking about? I may be one of em.
  30. Board Supporter

Depends. Which person are you talking about? I may be one of em.
    30 sets of curls and no back work
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Proper Straight Leg Deadlift form?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
  2. Deadlift form tip
    By McCoy1989 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
  3. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
  4. Smith machine deadlift ?
    By sonofsteven in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
  5. proper deadlift form
    By phasar in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 05:05 PM