Smith Rack Deadlift form - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Smith Rack Deadlift form

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    Dunno about him but i'm sure as hell not Seen too many powerlifters with serious injuries for me to go that route. Fun to watch the Powerlifting comps though.


    ...Just curious but I suppose as a power lifter you don't want a pump?

  2. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Dunno about him but i'm sure as hell not Seen too many powerlifters with serious injuries for me to go that route. Fun to watch the Powerlifting comps though.


    ...Just curious but I suppose as a power lifter you don't want a pump?
    pump may look pretty and all, but it doesnt help you lift the bar
  3. Registered User
    Basso's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    857

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    Yeah they're not bad but you'd get more stabilizer work out of doing them with dumbells. So based on what's available you might wanna do 1 legged dumbells squats (they're pretty hard imo so you won't need nearly as much weight as a regular barbell squat), then do you last set in the smith to not have to worrry about balancing and really focus on the full ROM and try and get a nice pump.
    Doesn't it take twice as long to do them with only one leg?
    •   
       

  4. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    Yup but it also allows you to work on your weaker leg, and focus on any imbalances you might have. On top of that in this instance I'm merely suggesting them based on the fact that our original poster has the dilema of not having a power/squat rack. Which obviously blows, no matter what type of lifter you are.

    BTW, while it's Definitely not the focus of a Pl's routine. Training that illicits "the pump" IMO does have it's place to fully develop the muscle from both the BB's or PL's standpoint. Or not in your opinion guy?
  5. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    BTW, while it's Definitely not the focus of a Pl's routine. Training that illicits "the pump" IMO does have it's place to fully develop the muscle from both the BB's or PL's standpoint. Or not in your opinion guy?
    no, in all the stuff i'ver read, and all the big time plers i've talked to, they dont train for the pump, in fact i know a couple guys that would be pissing there pants right now talking about the pump, it's nice when it's a side effect, but it's never one of the main reasons for doing an excersize. getting shredded and muscles out the wazoo is just a nice biproduct
  6. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    pump may look pretty and all, but it doesnt help you lift the bar


    the pump is your friend...lol. at any rate I most definatley train to get bigger, strength is just a side effect
  7. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    why be a guy who's big but weak? why not be a guy who's big and strong as a bull? ever see the 275 and under guys in powerlifting? most of them could step on a stage and wiin bbing contests
  8. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    why be a guy who's big but weak? why not be a guy who's big and strong as a bull? ever see the 275 and under guys in powerlifting? most of them could step on a stage and wiin bbing contests

    I have thought about training for strength, but at this point in my life I don't feel the need to be super strong. I don't think it would benefit me as a clinical psychologist either. I just want more size rather than strength.

    Don't get me wrong, I respect powerlifter's. Actually my aunt and uncle used to compete at the bench press competitions and I believe that my aunt has actually set a national record or two. She scares me
  9. Registered User
    Basso's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    857

    Reputation

    I don't understand why anyone would want to be big and not strong? Aern't you afraid some punk with a "little guy complex" is gonna beat the livin **** out of you?

    Functional muscle seems like a worthy cause, pretty muscle, well, why?
  10. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    There's a misconception that if you have big muscles but aren't a power lfiter you're going to be weak. The main reason why BBr's, in my opinion, come off as weak in a lot of power lifting type of lifts is because of lack of proper form and in many cases having the joints and muscles used to those types of movements.

    Those who think the ripped 19 inch arms are weak are misleading themselves. I mean I can bench over 400 which may be weak compared to a strongman lifter hitting upwards of 1k but you're still going to be stronger than a mjaority of folks you run into.

    Edit:Wanted to add it's the same for those people who think to be a power lifter you have to be fat.
  11. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    I just want more size rather than strength.
    this is like sayign you like seeing a girl with big boobs, but when you take her home and take off her bra you realize it's all padding. false advertising my man. you're young though. you'll see the light before long
  12. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    There's a misconception that if you have big muscles but aren't a power lfiter you're going to be weak. The main reason why BBr's, in my opinion, come off as weak in a lot of power lifting type of lifts is because of lack of proper form and in many cases having the joints and muscles used to those types of movements.

    Those who think the ripped 19 inch arms are weak are misleading themselves. I mean I can bench over 400 which may be weak compared to a strongman lifter hitting upwards of 1k but you're still going to be stronger than a mjaority of folks you run into.

    Edit:Wanted to add it's the same for those people who think to be a power lifter you have to be fat.
    i know a lot of bbers that are strong as oxes when they are bulking, when they are cutting and close to a show they are the weakest you'll ever see. but to become a successful bber you have to have 2 things. 1. great genetics and 2. lots of juice. if you dont have both you arent going anywhere. powerlifting on the other hand anybody can compete in.
  13. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    this is like sayign you like seeing a girl with big boobs, but when you take her home and take off her bra you realize it's all padding. false advertising my man. you're young though. you'll see the light before long

    I like that analogy. At any rate I just think we will have to agree to disagree. Maybe in the future I will change to powerlifting when I feel fine with my size, but right now that ain't gonna happen.
  14. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    I like that analogy. At any rate I just think we will have to agree to disagree. Maybe in the future I will change to powerlifting when I feel fine with my size, but right now that ain't gonna happen.
    oh i'm not saying you have to start training like a powerlifter, but train for strength. try to go up in weights each week or as much as possible. just dont be "that guy" that does 30 sets of curls and zero back work.
  15. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

  16. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    oh i'm not saying you have to start training like a powerlifter, but train for strength. try to go up in weights each week or as much as possible. just dont be "that guy" that does 30 sets of curls and zero back work.

    Oh, I see what you're saying...lol. Like I said, I am using a program that Bobo made along with a cutting diet. He made sure that I hit everything and I am even doing real deadlifts!! So you can breath a sigh of relief, Guy.

    Currently my strength is going up and my bodyfat is goin' down. Granted strength isn't syrocketing but it's gradual and adds up over months.
  17. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    Currently my strength is going up and my bodyfat is goin' down. Granted strength isn't syrocketing but it's gradual and adds up over months.
    imagine that, some people say that that is impossible
  18. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    please dont tell me you are one of those people
  19. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    Depends. Which person are you talking about? I may be one of em.
  20. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Depends. Which person are you talking about? I may be one of em.
    30 sets of curls and no back work
  21. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    Nah, im usually a 15-18 set guy and do my best to work all body parts. The smilely was for the those types of guys.
  22. Registered User
    Basso's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    857

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    There's a misconception that if you have big muscles but aren't a power lfiter you're going to be weak. The main reason why BBr's, in my opinion, come off as weak in a lot of power lifting type of lifts is because of lack of proper form and in many cases having the joints and muscles used to those types of movements.

    Those who think the ripped 19 inch arms are weak are misleading themselves. I mean I can bench over 400 which may be weak compared to a strongman lifter hitting upwards of 1k but you're still going to be stronger than a mjaority of folks you run into.

    Edit:Wanted to add it's the same for those people who think to be a power lifter you have to be fat.
    I think that misconception is old and I by no means subscribe to it. My comment was directed at the I want to get big, not strong comment. The thing a lot of kids don't understand is that with strength comes size, you can only make a muscle so strong until it is forced to grow. When I was 25 I dreamed of staying at 198 and breaking all the records, here I am 15 years later, stronger but 50lbs heavier. Watch Ronnie C train and you certainly would not call him weak.
    Somebody explain to me why you would want to get huge and not get stronger? It does not compute in my tiny weightlifter brain. Lift weights! Get big! Crush little girlie mans! Bend metal and stuff!
  23. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    As Macho Man Savage used to say...Oh yeeeah!
  24. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    ronnie used to be a powerlifter
  25. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    They say power lifters who become BBrs usually do better do to their training and benefits of power lifting
  26. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2334

    Reputation

    how about johnnie jackson hes a monster and hella powerful due to Pling.
  27. Board Supporter
    wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    4962

    Reputation

    Not quite sure where this conversation took a turn into wanting to be huge but not strong?

    Or where the whole asskicking thing came into play?

    I'd say I train more like a pl'er then 90% of the guys who train in my gym. But theres alot of half a ***s doing curls all day every day in my gym. Still while I enjoy the strength gains and do always strive for more it has more to do with me know that the result will be more muslce (with the right diet,rest, ect). I think we all enjoy the ride, just some appreciate certain parts of the scenery along the way then others might prefer. As for the "Who wants to worry about some little guy wanting to kick you ass in cause you're a big guy?" I live in NJ, and have hung out here and in NY and PA all my life. Generally, and especially in the last few years or so, I've been the bigger guy. This has never happen, nor would I EVER worry about it. Fighting is stupid and a waste of time, and no matter how big or strong you are there's nothing you can do to make the back of your skull stronger then a tire-iron. So there's no point in even thinking about it IMO.
  28. dsl
    dsl is offline
    officially an adult
    dsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    440

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy
    Fighting is stupid and a waste of time, and no matter how big or strong you are there's nothing you can do to make the back of your skull stronger then a tire-iron. So there's no point in even thinking about it IMO.


    Agreed!!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Proper Straight Leg Deadlift form?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
  2. Deadlift form tip
    By McCoy1989 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
  3. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
  4. Smith machine deadlift ?
    By sonofsteven in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
  5. proper deadlift form
    By phasar in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in