DE Bench at 50% Range of Motion

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Had my DE Bench workout today and decided to try something new. Instead of coming up explosively all the way and locking out (which stresses the elbows significantly), I kept the range of motion from my chest to only about half way up in the lift. For me, my weak point in my bench in my bench is at the bottom, and my speed at the top of the lift is great. I felt like doing this: 1) stressed the lower part of bench more, which is beneficial to those who are weak at the bottom, 2) enhanced explosion off the bottom, and 3) might save my decrepit left elbow for a few more years.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good or bad idea?

Mason

Awards
That's a good idea I'm gonna have to try it. Get more explosive.

cubbybear

Awards
Doing this for variety on a dynamic workout day should be okay, and I can see how it may prevent some elbow pain by not locking out on your speed bench. Are your elbows just irritated? If you are able to and it doesn't aggravate your elbows, it's still important to work the upper range with the heavier weights on ME day and do the accessory work, especially if you plan on competing. If you get away from training your lockout strength all together, you will lose it and the weight will feel heavy in your hands from the top all the way down to your chest. Also if you compete with a bench shirt, having a strong lockout is more important than strength off the chest. If your main concern is about your elbow, make sure you find a way to take care of it and do what's best for it so you can stay in the game.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Doing this for variety on a dynamic workout day should be okay, and I can see how it may prevent some elbow pain by not locking out on your speed bench. Are your elbows just irritated? If you are able to and it doesn't aggravate your elbows, it's still important to work the upper range with the heavier weights on ME day and do the accessory work, especially if you plan on competing. If you get away from training your lockout strength all together, you will lose it and the weight will feel heavy in your hands from the top all the way down to your chest. Also if you compete with a bench shirt, having a strong lockout is more important than strength off the chest. If your main concern is about your elbow, make sure you find a way to take care of it and do what's best for it so you can stay in the game.
No I have the lockout covered with board presses on ME day. My lockout is significantly stronger than at the bottom of my lift and to be honest, I'm not worried about speed at the top of the lift at all.

cubbybear

Awards
It sounds like a good idea to me. Honestly I don't think the lockout portion does a whole lot using straight bar weight with the lower weights we use on a speed day anyways. When using bands or chain it may be a different story though. Of course there will always be the amatuers out there who will criticize partial movements, but only because they don't know any better. If I'm repping lighter weights I find myself not locking out just to keep it moving I guess or maybe just an old habit of trying to keep constant tension, even though I've gotten criticized for that. I don't think it hurts me at all because instinctively I always lock out when it gets heavier or use bands or chain. When I do speed singles I always lock those out, just practicing competition form. I might try your idea myself and see if it helps me get better with the "drop-and catch" technique (which I haven't really been able to do or bring the bar down quick because of my elbows).

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
try some pause benching, it worked wonders for my bottom half it's just the middle that sucks ass now

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
try some pause benching, it worked wonders for my bottom half it's just the middle that sucks ass now
I get that in about once every 6-8 weeks or so. It's a lot of strain on the RCs unfortunately.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
The whole point of doing explosive lifts is to train you to accelerate the bar through the entire range of motion. If you are hurting your elbows because you are so explosive at the top add more band tension or chains so you aren't so fast up there!

That being said I don't think DE bench is that useful, it certainly doesn't do anything for me, and I get better results swapping it out for a RE bench day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 31
Sage0607 Training Forum 43
Training Forum 3
Training Forum 4
Training Forum 1