thoughts on this piece of equipment

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/82651.html

Glute Ham Raise and Reverse Hyper...I've never used either (never had access to one) and was thinking, at this price, that this would be a good way to get into both.

Because I've never done either exercise I have no idea if there are aspects of the machines that could screw up the exercise if they aren't optimal. But then again it seems like it would be hard to screw up either exercise.

Any thoughts?

TIA

mab904

mab904

Awards
The glute ham raise is great. We have one at our gym.

mab904

mab904

Awards
That glute ham raise a tough exercise. One of the toughest ones I do. I keep my knees high up on the pads and just use my bodyweight. It has made my hamstrings really stong too. Increased the weight I'm able to do on leg curls a bunch. I use 140lbs... 3 sets of 8 reps.:head:

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that's a nifty piece of equipment right there, get it. ghrs and reverse hypers are 2 of the best posterior movements you can do.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established

Glute Ham Raise and Reverse Hyper...I've never used either (never had access to one) and was thinking, at this price, that this would be a good way to get into both.

Because I've never done either exercise I have no idea if there are aspects of the machines that could screw up the exercise if they aren't optimal. But then again it seems like it would be hard to screw up either exercise.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Looks good. Just make sure you get the ACTUAL price. They like to add on shipping AND a fuel charge. The fuel charge can run as high as $40 for EACH piece.

CROWLER

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
nybarbells is a decent company, i've ordered from them a couple times, if you're near ny you'll get it fast

cubbybear

Awards
About 2 or 3 years ago I bought their glute-ham for $200, which is the same as this one but without the extra stuff on it. It wasn't as well-made as the more expensive ones but for the cost I thought I'd give it a try. The parts fit a little loose compared to the high-end models which made it wobble a little, but that didn't bother me too much. I added an extra couple of holes in the black bar for more horizontal adjustment options. On the foam rubber ankle pads, the plastic end caps kept popping off so I glued them on, which lasted a few weeks but I had to re-glue it a couple of times. The contoured leg pads were the most troublesome part as they were cheaply made. The upholstery was instantly coming undone the first day so I had to re-staple it. But the worst part is how they were made, with thin wood nailed together under a layer of foam. If adjusted correctly it was comfortable enough, but the big broblem was that after a while the thin wood under the padding was totally crushed, both of them and nails were then sticking out through the upholstery. The machine itself (before the wood crushed) was functional and I didn't mind some of the sloppiness for the price, but I still need to get the pads replaced before it can be used again. I'd like to find better ones for it, or maybe get some made out of solid pieces of wood and get it padded and covered so it would hold up.

powerfiend

Awards
that's a nifty piece of equipment right there, get it. ghrs and reverse hypers are 2 of the best posterior movements you can do.
ditto. The ghr is really good for posterior strength and the reverse hyper is excellent for hip strength and rehab/revovery.

6 weeks before a meet I strained the hell out of my lower back. I couldn't bend over or even sit in a chair with out spasms of pain. I cuoldn't do deadlifts, squats, any type of rows, etc. The reverse hypers, however, didn't hurt. I did them for the month I couldn't do anything else. Not only did they make my back feel better, they maintained my strength enough that I hit a new PR in the deadlift 2 weeks later despite not doing any kind of squats or deadlifts for a month.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Here's their glute/ham "stripped-down" version of the one you are looking at that I had those problems with. It looks like it uses the same parts that were troublesome on my machine.
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/82626.html
See that's the kind of **** I'm afraid of. I have their "sumo" squat rack (low ceiling at my old place) and I like it just fine...it's a little bit wobbly but with me being the only one using it (versus being used all day at a gym, everyday) it seems to be holding up fine. Probably been about three years. I was going to step up to their 3x3 rack real soon.

Obviously I'd love to get the Elitefts/Westside piece(s), but the prices just don't work for me right now.

I'm going to think about it...if I get it I'll post back after a few months of using it. It's just that there don't seem like there are any better options out there right now...other than spending $1500 to buy Elite's "economy" units.

cubbybear

Awards
If you decide to go with it, I think they might offer a different contoured pad for it. I thought I seen a single larger pad in one of the pictures so you might ask about that and if it might hold up better. I haven't called them yet about mine. Nebula, Magnum, and York also make some Glute/Ham's but may cost more (they don't have the prices listed on their websites). They don't have the weight attachment for reverse hypers but you might still be able to figure out a way to use band tension. However, I'm not sure how comfortable reverse hypers would be on contoured pads with added resistance.

GettingSwole

GettingSwole

Awards
I've seen and used both a NYBB and a EFS GHR. Spend the extra money on the cheapest EFS one, it will be well worth it in the long run. Also, the NYBB RH is pretty much junk if you plan on putting any serious amount of weight on it.

my $0.02

Operator

Awards

Any thoughts?

TIA
I used the Westside version of this machine at Mark Chaillet's gym when it was still open. An excellent device and highly recommended. Helped with lower back pain and improved my deadlift. I'm thinking about buying one since you were kind enough to post this link. :)

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
I've bought so almost all of my gym off Ebay. Before you commit to buy apiece of equipment, check out Ebay. I got $3000 worth of equipment retail for $440 almost 2 years ago. I don't own any NYBB stuff so I won't comment other than their stuff looks OK. I bought a Bodysolid leg extention machine off Ebay for $80 and 2 weeks later I had to weld the swing bar that holds the weights, go figure. It looked like it was rarely used and the guy only had 175 lbsof weights for it.
ROB

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
I used the Westside version of this machine at Mark Chaillet's gym when it was still open. An excellent device and highly recommended. Helped with lower back pain and improved my deadlift. I'm thinking about buying one since you were kind enough to post this link. :)
I'm worried about two things:

1. That the pads might fall apart...althought this isn't the real issue.

2. That the design of the unit might cause the exercise to be kinda awkward to perform. Ever sit on a leg extension machine at a gym and it seems like it just isn't moving on the same plane that your body wants to? I've used some pieces of equipment that just felt downright awkward because of the design.

I think I'm going to wait and then ask about this in a few months. It appears to be a fairly new addition to their site. Maybe there'll be more user feedback available then. If it isn't good I'll just make a decision between the Elite Reverse Hyper or GHR (can't/won't afford both.)

Operator

Awards
I'm worried about two things:

1. That the pads might fall apart...althought this isn't the real issue.

2. That the design of the unit might cause the exercise to be kinda awkward to perform. Ever sit on a leg extension machine at a gym and it seems like it just isn't moving on the same plane that your body wants to? I've used some pieces of equipment that just felt downright awkward because of the design.

I think I'm going to wait and then ask about this in a few months. It appears to be a fairly new addition to their site. Maybe there'll be more user feedback available then. If it isn't good I'll just make a decision between the Elite Reverse Hyper or GHR (can't/won't afford both.)
The older Westside version was very ackward at first. It used a belt that went around your ankles. This machine looks better than the one I used as it is adjustable. I see 4 different adjustments, something very appealing to me. I would want one for lower back therapy which you may not need.
With that kind of money it's best to be sure though.