sets on bench

  1. sets on bench


    how many sets do you guys do in your bench workout... and do you do any dbell work or incline or decline work? I bench competitively and have hit a 405 in a bench shirt at 198... just wondering if I should change things up any...I usually do a 135 then 225 for warm up then 275x 3 315x3 and 365x3... any input is appreciated


  2. Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes56
    how many sets do you guys do in your bench workout... and do you do any dbell work or incline or decline work? I bench competitively and have hit a 405 in a bench shirt at 198... just wondering if I should change things up any...I usually do a 135 then 225 for warm up then 275x 3 315x3 and 365x3... any input is appreciated
    it really depends, if i'm working singles then i do 5 sets of heavy singles, if i'm doing pause work like i'm doing now i'll do 4 sets of 3, if i'm just doing whatever i do 3 sets of 5. and i do db hammer grip presses w/ a band wrapped around my back and w/ a pause at the bottom. these are basically flat bench db presses but my elbows are tucked the whole time and palms facing each other.

    nice benchin by the way too

  3. thanks for the response.... I do pauses on all my benches no matter what the rep scheme... not a pause on the chest though I stop the weight just about an inch above for a quick three count then press back up
    •   
       


  4. if you want to be a powerlifter better start pausing on the chest, otherwise you will never get the press command if it's an inch off. and if you're always training an inch off your chest, that first inch is going to be a little tough come comp time

  5. I have been lifting competitively for over 10yrs.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes56
    I have been lifting competitively for over 10yrs.
    oh ok, haha, forgot to look at your age, thought you might of been a youngin, sorry about that

  7. no worries... sorry if my response came across as rude... I do appreciate all input and insight... learned long ago in this sport someone is always stronger and probably knows a better way to get there

  8. Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes56
    no worries... sorry if my response came across as rude... I do appreciate all input and insight... learned long ago in this sport someone is always stronger and probably knows a better way to get there
    it's cool, and that's why i love this sport, people are always willing to help out

  9. amen... what federation do you do lift in?

  10. dont compete as of yet, my weight is all over the place and i'm trying to get it down plus get stronger, so i can compete in the 275s, i dont want to buy gear for the weight class i'd be in now because in 2 months time it wouldnt fit. haha. but i will be competing in the apf, most likely by mid summer. how about you

  11. I used to lift in NASA but lately have just been doing local non sanctioned meets

  12. Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes56
    I used to lift in NASA but lately have just been doing local non sanctioned meets
    nice, kind of funny you lift in nasa and you're on a board called anabolicminds ahaha

  13. "used" to lift in nasa now I just do local meets... and besides all the supplements I take are sold otc
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. hand position on bench
    By Young Gotti in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM
  2. plateau on bench
    By beastmode99 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 04:08 AM
  3. Maxed On Bench Press, 455
    By Adrenolin in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 08:45 PM
  4. Maxed On Bench Press, 455
    By Adrenolin in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
  5. Finally HIT 600lbs on Bench!*Video*
    By MrSkullCrusher in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Log in
Log in