1200+lb bench

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.33%

1200+lb bench

Ok before everyone jumps on me - let me just preface this with: I have not read the proof yet, BUT....

I was working at vitamin world the other day and some guy walks in with his older father - they were shopping around helping each other etc.

The kid starts talking to me and I soon learn he is in the Navy - and he was explaining to me how when they are on the ship all they do is lift. Apparently he was stationed in Japan for the last year or so and is going back shortly. He went on to say how the Navy won their competition they have against army, and the other brances, and it was published in the 'Kitty Hawk News', which also contained info on the max bench performed at this meet. He told me there is some dude who weighs ~310 and was benching 1200 lbs!!! I thought this kid was nuts, since everyone was going wild about the 1008 lb press that was done. 1200 blows this out of the water

The kid said it doesnt count as a world record since it was done while in active duty, and will remain with the navy until he leaves and performs it again as a civilian.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The kid said he'd bring the article into v-world next time I worked.

*by the way when I say kid i mean mid-20s

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.04%

Quote Originally Posted by BHERTZ
    Ok before everyone jumps on me - let me just preface this with: I have not read the proof yet, BUT....

I was working at vitamin world the other day and some guy walks in with his older father - they were shopping around helping each other etc.

The kid starts talking to me and I soon learn he is in the Navy - and he was explaining to me how when they are on the ship all they do is lift. Apparently he was stationed in Japan for the last year or so and is going back shortly. He went on to say how the Navy won their competition they have against army, and the other brances, and it was published in the 'Kitty Hawk News', which also contained info on the max bench performed at this meet. He told me there is some dude who weighs ~310 and was benching 1200 lbs!!! I thought this kid was nuts, since everyone was going wild about the 1008 lb press that was done. 1200 blows this out of the water

The kid said it doesnt count as a world record since it was done while in active duty, and will remain with the navy until he leaves and performs it again as a civilian.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The kid said he'd bring the article into v-world next time I worked.

*by the way when I say kid i mean mid-20s
    hmmm...sounds a little fugazi to me.

where in pa are you from?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

sounds like BS to me. a world record is a world record, regardless if you're active duty or not. if the guy had a quadruple layer shirt with piano wire tucked inside, then no, it wouldn't count for ****.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.33%

KOP - i am in easton right now at school (lafayette college) but i grew up in kutztown...i've been interviewing with a chemical company which has r&d plants in kop, so maybe this summer ill be in the area

anyway, i thought it was ridiculous too, but he did indeed mention bringing me a copy of the article so i'll let you guys know. trust me i was as dumbfounded as you guys are, if you even care haha
  5. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.69%

Its bull****, service men are allowed to compete in any powerlifting meets they want. They are also drug tested, and I don't really believe that any one could bench over a grand natural, especially that much over a grand.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.72%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Gene Bell broke a lot of records while Active Duty Air Force, there was also some big ol Army dude back in the 80's breaking records, he's full of poo poo
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.33%

Fair enough. For the record, I wasn't trying to post a random piece of trivia just cause it sounded cool - the guy was really convincing and I figured might as well run it past some dudes on AM.

If for some reason he would bring me an article with this information, I very well might **** myself.

I have his information and home phone # so maybe I'll check up with him and 'encourage' him to provide proof.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.72%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by NickW
    Its bull****, service men are allowed to compete in any powerlifting meets they want. They are also drug tested, and I don't really believe that any one could bench over a grand natural, especially that much over a grand.
    Dude, I just checked out your vids, specially like the 615X2. I was all physced I hit 405x2 raw today, now I feel really small! What's your body weight?
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.51%

his bodyweight is in his signature....
  10. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.79%

waiting to see where this thread goes...............
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.72%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ktw
    his bodyweight is in his signature....

Der, I must have been half asleep or something when I asked that! Erps
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Man even if this is not true and say he did 1000 thats just FREAKING crazy, the most I have ever did was 340, that just blows me away that people can do that amount of weight I would decapitate myself lol
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

KOP - i am in easton right now at school (lafayette college) but i grew up in kutztown...i've been interviewing with a chemical company which has r&d plants in kop, so maybe this summer ill be in the area

anyway, i thought it was ridiculous too, but he did indeed mention bringing me a copy of the article so i'll let you guys know. trust me i was as dumbfounded as you guys are, if you even care haha
    Cool!

I live in the Dorneryville (less than a third of a mile from Dorney Park) section of South Whitehall, just outside of Allentown. What gym do you go to? I usually go to the Allentown Gold's, but sometimes I hit the Bethlehem Gold's because they have longer hours.

If you ever work out at the Bethlehem Gold's, you should drop me a PM or email me at:

wilbursmith@cyber-rights.net

It's be cool to have a workout once in a while with a fellow AM'er.
  14. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Cool!

I live in the Dorneryville (less than a third of a mile from Dorney Park) section of South Whitehall, just outside of Allentown. What gym do you go to? I usually go to the Allentown Gold's, but sometimes I hit the Bethlehem Gold's because they have longer hours.

If you ever work out at the Bethlehem Gold's, you should drop me a PM or email me at:

wilbursmith@cyber-rights.net

It's be cool to have a workout once in a while with a fellow AM'er.
    if you're a powerlifter i HIGHLY suggest you change gyms, you are right near mike miller's gym nazareth barbell, he's a BEAST. probably one of the biggest human being's i've ever seen. plus he's one of the top powerlifters in the world. definately check him out, it's in tatamy, i'm from outside of philly and once i get a shirt i will definately be driving up there for his seminars
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.26%

What's a grand natural?
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Samson4
    What's a grand natural?
    meaning, it's highly doubtful that anyone could bench over 1000lbs (a grand) while natural (not taking AAS or any performance enhancer).
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.33%

whats up guys - well still no word from this guy about an article or anything, i see his dad in the store every now and again but i dont think he would know much about it.

anyway just got back from spring break - took a cruise to the carribean, which means i traded my diet and training for a tan hahaha it was a much needed break

anyway, yeah nazareth is right next to easton if indeed that's what you are talking about.

right now i just lift at the gym at school. we have a regular gym, but i am allowed to lift in the varsity gym which has dumbbells up to 150 and like 10 platforms for bench/squat/dead. fairly hardcore, especially because the strength coach is a monster. his max squat is 830 100% natural - so i look up to him for advice thats for damn sure. when i graduate though ill be looking for a legit gym to continue this westside-ish training scheme we are doing. still waiting on job offers, so who knows where i'll end up - hopefully philly!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Highschool kid benches. 700 lbs
    By mikeg313 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-13-2011, 12:51 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 06:54 PM
  4. Why is my bench press stuck at 195 lbs?!?!
    By Benzino in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
  5. Bench/Squat max
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM