Smith Machine, useful? or Towel rack?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Unhappy Smith Machine, useful? or Towel rack?


    Just curious what you all think, my personal opinion is towel rack. I use the smith maybe 4-5 times a year for some ballistic benches or one legged squats but other than that I feel it's pretty detrimental to a workout. I'm not totally anti smith but I think a workout should not be centered around it, actually the Smith should never be more than an after thought, like any fixed machine the benefits are very small compared to the real thing.

    So what do ya think?


  2. I like it. I don't have a training parthner, and sometimes it's hard to get a spot. Like
    you say, you should'nt base your chest workout around it, but it can be helpful at times.
    •   
       


  3. definately a towel rack, why use a machine when you can use free weights?

  4. It definitely has its use, IMO. I like doing wide grip military presses as well as chest presses(when w/out spotter). My gym does not have a standing calf machine and it fills in nicely.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC

  5. It definitely has its uses, but I almost never use it. Like you said, it can be good for some experimental things, like one-armed plyometric training moves.

    (OT, you are the Tetris master )
    •   
       


  6. i use it to choke my bands on when i'm doing tricep pushdowns

  7. great when a good spot is not around

  8. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    i use it to choke my bands on when i'm doing tricep pushdowns
    Great idea!

  9. Very useful especially when you have no training with you. Better to be safe then sorry

  10. Not a fan of it myself, but here's an interesting EC article entitled, "10 Uses for a Smith Machine (It's not just a coat rack)."

    These exercises are aimed at athletes and improving flexibility, weakpoint training, and pre-hab/rehab. Nonetheless, it's a well written, entertaining article with a nice little video of each exercise.

    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=810548

  11. Its good for people just getting into the game. Today at the gym I had run across the gym to get a bar off a guys chest lol maybe he should be using the smith :-)

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull954
    Its good for people just getting into the game...
    yeah, like these guys.
    Last edited by jonny21; 08-11-2007 at 11:36 AM.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC

  13. The Smith Machine has many uses. A powerlifter may not enjoy them, however I have watched more than one professional bodybuilders use the Smith Machine to its fullest.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    It definitely has its use, IMO. I like doing wide grip military presses as well as chest presses(when w/out spotter). My gym does not have a standing calf machine and it fills in nicely.
    My shoulder is still pretty banged up from a labral injury, so I don't mind the smith every once in awhile for some BTN Military, just so I can add on some extra poundage without fear of reinjury..jmo

  15. actually i read an article a couple weeks back explaining how bad the smith machine is for your shoulders, so better watch out

  16. Quote Originally Posted by FINAFINAFINA
    The Smith Machine has many uses. A powerlifter may not enjoy them, however I have watched more than one professional bodybuilders use the Smith Machine to its fullest.
    this is the powerlifting part of the forum

  17. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    actually i read an article a couple weeks back explaining how bad the smith machine is for your shoulders, so better watch out
    Because of this non-use of stabilizers? I never knew that before, do you have that article because I would most definitely be interested in reading it, I do not want another injury that's for sure...

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Because of this non-use of stabilizers? I never knew that before, do you have that article because I would most definitely be interested in reading it, I do not want another injury that's for sure...
    i honestly dont know where it is, but i do remember it said because of the fixed motion it's not good for your shoulders

  19. I know this is the PL forum but,... I find the smith very usefull for ass to grass squats. I have had some problems with my lower back and left knee from prior injuries and the smith allows me to get a deep squat pain free. But I am no power lifter.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html

  20. Great machine! Don't have a spot? Still want to go kind of heavy? SMITH MACHINE TO THE RESCUE! Use it. Love it.

  21. There aren't many seniors interested in powerliftinig so I usually have to go it alone. The Smith machine allows me to push myself to the max (I often use a Max OT style of training) without having a spotter. I am rehabbing a bad RC at the moment and I trust the controlled motion I get with the Smith. What I like to do is mix it up. While I am up to reps at 300 on the Smith (real weight about 275) I then do 6 plates for rack extensions on the Squat rack as a support exercise. I have little trouble switching back and forth because of the dual style of training.

  22. I like it for Military Presses since I don't have a training partner. But that's all I use it for.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    I know this is the PL forum but,... I find the smith very usefull for ass to grass squats. I have had some problems with my lower back and left knee from prior injuries and the smith allows me to get a deep squat pain free. But I am no power lifter.
    Damn...I find myself agreeing with more and more of your posts. Ass to grass squats is exactly what I use it for and it has really built my glutes. The great thing about the Smith Machine for this is that you can slow the movement down for a TUT workout.

  24. If you happen to train DC style you will use it. In fact, It's a neccessity for certain lifts. I also have problems with my knees when squatting. I found that using the smith machine greatly reduces the pain in my knees when I squat.

  25. i dont have a spotter and do most of my work in the rack, i just set the pins low enough so it doesnt interfere with my ROM but if i need to dump the weight the pins are there to same me.

    i've just heard to many horror stories about people hurting there knees and lower back while doing squats in them, and shoulders when doing any kind of pressing movement with them. plus, if you look at the training logs of all the top plers, i have yet to see a smith machine used in any of there workouts.

  26. Has anyone used the Jones Machine?

    and no.. i'm not talking about that machine!

    http://www.bodycraft.com/ Just saw it when I was looking at links for gym equipment.

  27. that's one crazy lookin machine there

  28. Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    If you happen to train DC style you will use it. In fact, It's a neccessity for certain lifts. I also have problems with my knees when squatting. I found that using the smith machine greatly reduces the pain in my knees when I squat.
    Yeah, this is actually the other thing I use it for. I blew my knee while playing basketball when I was very young and this is the only way I can really get anything out of a squat

  29. I would much rather just lift in a power rack with safety catches. I hate the way the smith machine restricts motion and how my stabilizer muscles aren't having to work at all.

  30. I never use the smith machine.

    I don't see the point. You can't use it at the meet.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 5/3/1 Squat problem - Smith machine or leg press
    By rangestormer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM
  2. using the Smith Machine to finish off a muscle?
    By suncloud in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
  3. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
  4. Smith Machine or Freeweights?
    By blackrhino1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 07:07 PM
  5. Anyone used or heard anything about this?
    By KingMeso in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 09:33 AM
Log in
Log in