Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Unhappy Smith Machine, useful? or Towel rack?

Just curious what you all think, my personal opinion is towel rack. I use the smith maybe 4-5 times a year for some ballistic benches or one legged squats but other than that I feel it's pretty detrimental to a workout. I'm not totally anti smith but I think a workout should not be centered around it, actually the Smith should never be more than an after thought, like any fixed machine the benefits are very small compared to the real thing.

So what do ya think?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.17%

I like it. I don't have a training parthner, and sometimes it's hard to get a spot. Like
    you say, you should'nt base your chest workout around it, but it can be helpful at times.
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

definately a towel rack, why use a machine when you can use free weights?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

It definitely has its use, IMO. I like doing wide grip military presses as well as chest presses(when w/out spotter). My gym does not have a standing calf machine and it fills in nicely.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.04%

It definitely has its uses, but I almost never use it. Like you said, it can be good for some experimental things, like one-armed plyometric training moves.

(OT, you are the Tetris master )
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

i use it to choke my bands on when i'm doing tricep pushdowns
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.5%

great when a good spot is not around
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    i use it to choke my bands on when i'm doing tricep pushdowns
    Great idea!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.19%

Very useful especially when you have no training with you. Better to be safe then sorry
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.96%

Not a fan of it myself, but here's an interesting EC article entitled, "10 Uses for a Smith Machine (It's not just a coat rack)."

These exercises are aimed at athletes and improving flexibility, weakpoint training, and pre-hab/rehab. Nonetheless, it's a well written, entertaining article with a nice little video of each exercise.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=810548
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Its good for people just getting into the game. Today at the gym I had run across the gym to get a bar off a guys chest lol maybe he should be using the smith :-)
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.26%

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull954
    Its good for people just getting into the game...
    yeah, like these guys.
    Last edited by jonny21; 08-11-2007 at 12:36 PM.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80%

The Smith Machine has many uses. A powerlifter may not enjoy them, however I have watched more than one professional bodybuilders use the Smith Machine to its fullest.
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    It definitely has its use, IMO. I like doing wide grip military presses as well as chest presses(when w/out spotter). My gym does not have a standing calf machine and it fills in nicely.
    My shoulder is still pretty banged up from a labral injury, so I don't mind the smith every once in awhile for some BTN Military, just so I can add on some extra poundage without fear of reinjury..jmo
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

actually i read an article a couple weeks back explaining how bad the smith machine is for your shoulders, so better watch out
  16. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

Quote Originally Posted by FINAFINAFINA
    The Smith Machine has many uses. A powerlifter may not enjoy them, however I have watched more than one professional bodybuilders use the Smith Machine to its fullest.
    this is the powerlifting part of the forum
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    actually i read an article a couple weeks back explaining how bad the smith machine is for your shoulders, so better watch out
    Because of this non-use of stabilizers? I never knew that before, do you have that article because I would most definitely be interested in reading it, I do not want another injury that's for sure...
  18. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Because of this non-use of stabilizers? I never knew that before, do you have that article because I would most definitely be interested in reading it, I do not want another injury that's for sure...
    i honestly dont know where it is, but i do remember it said because of the fixed motion it's not good for your shoulders
  19. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.51%

I know this is the PL forum but,... I find the smith very usefull for ass to grass squats. I have had some problems with my lower back and left knee from prior injuries and the smith allows me to get a deep squat pain free. But I am no power lifter.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.5%

Great machine! Don't have a spot? Still want to go kind of heavy? SMITH MACHINE TO THE RESCUE! Use it. Love it.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.93%

There aren't many seniors interested in powerliftinig so I usually have to go it alone. The Smith machine allows me to push myself to the max (I often use a Max OT style of training) without having a spotter. I am rehabbing a bad RC at the moment and I trust the controlled motion I get with the Smith. What I like to do is mix it up. While I am up to reps at 300 on the Smith (real weight about 275) I then do 6 plates for rack extensions on the Squat rack as a support exercise. I have little trouble switching back and forth because of the dual style of training.
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.6%

I like it for Military Presses since I don't have a training partner. But that's all I use it for.
  23. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.7%

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    I know this is the PL forum but,... I find the smith very usefull for ass to grass squats. I have had some problems with my lower back and left knee from prior injuries and the smith allows me to get a deep squat pain free. But I am no power lifter.
    Damn...I find myself agreeing with more and more of your posts. Ass to grass squats is exactly what I use it for and it has really built my glutes. The great thing about the Smith Machine for this is that you can slow the movement down for a TUT workout.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.87%

If you happen to train DC style you will use it. In fact, It's a neccessity for certain lifts. I also have problems with my knees when squatting. I found that using the smith machine greatly reduces the pain in my knees when I squat.
  25. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

i dont have a spotter and do most of my work in the rack, i just set the pins low enough so it doesnt interfere with my ROM but if i need to dump the weight the pins are there to same me.

i've just heard to many horror stories about people hurting there knees and lower back while doing squats in them, and shoulders when doing any kind of pressing movement with them. plus, if you look at the training logs of all the top plers, i have yet to see a smith machine used in any of there workouts.
  26. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.88%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Has anyone used the Jones Machine?

and no.. i'm not talking about that machine!

http://www.bodycraft.com/ Just saw it when I was looking at links for gym equipment.
  27. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

that's one crazy lookin machine there
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    If you happen to train DC style you will use it. In fact, It's a neccessity for certain lifts. I also have problems with my knees when squatting. I found that using the smith machine greatly reduces the pain in my knees when I squat.
    Yeah, this is actually the other thing I use it for. I blew my knee while playing basketball when I was very young and this is the only way I can really get anything out of a squat
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.25%

I would much rather just lift in a power rack with safety catches. I hate the way the smith machine restricts motion and how my stabilizer muscles aren't having to work at all.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.5%

I never use the smith machine.

I don't see the point. You can't use it at the meet.
  31. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

Quote Originally Posted by klugman
    I don't see the point. You can't use it at the meet.
    bingo
  32. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.02%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Yeah, this is actually the other thing I use it for. I blew my knee while playing basketball when I was very young and this is the only way I can really get anything out of a squat
    you'd be suprised, knee pain is mostly from form issues
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.97%

I love the Smith machine, it keeps everyone out of the squat rack.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ivydude
    Not a fan of it myself, but here's an interesting EC article entitled, "10 Uses for a Smith Machine (It's not just a coat rack)."

These exercises are aimed at athletes and improving flexibility, weakpoint training, and pre-hab/rehab. Nonetheless, it's a well written, entertaining article with a nice little video of each exercise.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=810548

I saw that article a few weeks ago, nice twist on uses for the smith!
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Danl4560
    I love the Smith machine, it keeps everyone out of the squat rack.
    That's what I'm talkin' about! We only have one Rack and 2 Smith's and that rack is always empty. Today some jokers were doing shrugs in the Smith I guess that's the only way they could move 6 plates.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.87%

I used a squat rack today and the only way I could do heavier squats without my knees hurting was with wraps. Are using wraps detrimental to leg development? I had a wide stance, made sure not to allow my knees to go past my toes and went to parallel as best I could. I really tried to focus on form. I'd rather do free weight squats as opposed to smith squats, but I don't want to **** my knees up doing it. Suggestions, comments?
  37. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.97%

I used a squat rack today and the only way I could do heavier squats without my knees hurting was with wraps. Are using wraps detrimental to leg development? I hade a wide stance, made sure not to allow my knees to go past my toes and went to parallel as best I could. I really tried to focus on form. I'd rather do free weight squats as opposed to smith squats, but I don't want to **** my knees up doing it. Suggestions, comments?
    If you need to use knee wraps, go for it. IMO, the difference it'll make in leg development is splitting hairs.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I used a squat rack today and the only way I could do heavier squats without my knees hurting was with wraps. Are using wraps detrimental to leg development? I hade a wide stance, made sure not to allow my knees to go past my toes and went to parallel as best I could. I really tried to focus on form. I'd rather do free weight squats as opposed to smith squats, but I don't want to **** my knees up doing it. Suggestions, comments?
    There's going to be a point where safety is the prime factor at that point you wrap your knees. The problem comes when wraps are relied upon consistently. i.e. if I'm doing speed squats or sets of 10-15 etc. The belt and wraps stay in the bag. If I'm doing heavy triples out come the wraps, If I'm going for a PR or super heavy doubles, out comes the suit and the belt.
    I wouldn't worry about the knee over the foot thing, if your following good form it's not a factor. One of the biggest helps is to push your feet to the outside, this will keep your knees out. Another misconception is that going to deep is bad for your knees, when the opposite is true. Stopping a movement at half or 1/4 is more stressful to the joint than the full motion. If you don't believe this, try benching heavy(no boards or cheaters) stop at the halfway point as most do with squats. Do this continually for 4-6 weeks and let me know how your elbows are feeling. Anyway why do think most guys have little legs even though they say they squat? Well I always thought sweats sucked in the summer and I plan on making sure my Quads are bigger than my bis!

Ass to the Floor squats Rule!
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.87%

Back to the ole' drawing board. Basso, where in SC are you located if you don't mind me asking?
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Sumter, are you in SC also?
    If you really want some good squat tips http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/ has several articles on squats. Dave Tate has one in there somewhere on basic form. Most are Powerlifting specific but you have to figure if a guy a can squat a truck he must know how to squat.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 5/3/1 Squat problem - Smith machine or leg press
    By rangestormer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 02:08 PM
  2. using the Smith Machine to finish off a muscle?
    By suncloud in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
  3. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM
  4. Smith Machine or Freeweights?
    By blackrhino1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
  5. Anyone used or heard anything about this?
    By KingMeso in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:33 AM