16 year old w/ questions

unchained_beast

Awards
Well Im new to the forums here. I dont know how to get a picture of me on here so ill just give you my stats. I just turned 16 a couple days ago.
Weight - 230
Squat- 460
Deadlift- PR is 405x8
Bench- 270

Im just kinda unsure where i want to go bodybuilding, powerlifting, or strongman?
I compete in powerlifting at my school but I think strongman is really badass and i think i like it better but then again im also pretty big for my age so bodybuilding might work too. I dont know but i dont want anything to affect how i perform in football. What do you guys think?
Also ive tried looking around and there isnt a lot of strongman info out there. I live in the DFW area in texas so if you guys know of any strongman comps coming up let me know cause id like to go watch one.

unchained_beast

Awards
Oh and i also throw shot put and discus for my school and im our 2nd best thrower so i cant have anything affect that either

unchained_beast

Awards
21 views and no replys??? come on. atleast say hello or something lol.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
if u want to be an athlete, train and live the lifestyle like an athlete....if not than its up to you.

Impressive numbers at 16 btw.

unchained_beast

Awards
if u want to be an athlete, train and live the lifestyle like an athlete....if not than its up to you.

Impressive numbers at 16 btw.
thanks. atleast someone cares lol. I think my numbers would be much better if i was able to choose my own training schedule. but with football, our coaches are insane and they think we need to lift 3 times a day not to mention doing cardio 3 times a day. Ive gotten decent results with this but i know its overtraining so i just try to get as much food and sleep as possible. But getting enough sleep when youre working out 5 hrs a day outside of school and you have all AP classes is highly challenging. Plus the fact that i think im addicted to reading these boards takes up a good amount of time too.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
thanks. atleast someone cares lol. I think my numbers would be much better if i was able to choose my own training schedule. but with football, our coaches are insane and they think we need to lift 3 times a day not to mention doing cardio 3 times a day. Ive gotten decent results with this but i know its overtraining so i just try to get as much food and sleep as possible. But getting enough sleep when youre working out 5 hrs a day outside of school and you have all AP classes is highly challenging. Plus the fact that i think im addicted to reading these boards takes up a good amount of time too.
Yeah it is hard to train the way you want with coaches make sure you get "their" workouts in.
And you number look really good esp for you age. BTW these are free weight numbers right? I just asked because in my HS the weight test was done a universal machine (coach loved that damn machine).
As for which three? I would go with what you feel more comfortable with. Do you like lifting and a gaining strength in the Big 3? Or do you not care as much about numbers as you do how you look? Also do you want to diet down for shows? You need to ask yourself these questions before you decide. And your only 16, don't be in a rush to get to the end, wherever that is.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
i have been in your situation.....its why i quit wrestling and why i didnt take weight training at my school anymore....

unchained_beast

Awards
Yeah it is hard to train the way you want with coaches make sure you get "their" workouts in.
And you number look really good esp for you age. BTW these are free weight numbers right? I just asked because in my HS the weight test was done a universal machine (coach loved that damn machine).
As for which three? I would go with what you feel more comfortable with. Do you like lifting and a gaining strength in the Big 3? Or do you not care as much about numbers as you do how you look? Also do you want to diet down for shows? You need to ask yourself these questions before you decide. And your only 16, don't be in a rush to get to the end, wherever that is.
yep their all free weights. good lord if he said i had to use a machine i would straight up quit. Its not like these workouts are a breeze either, though. Last thursday I had to do 4x4 squats at 90 percent with almost no rest in between sets then we had to run out to the track immediately and sprint 400 meters. needless to say i started puking at 300 and got it all over my clothes cause and when i got to the finish i just collapsed. a lot of other kids make it with no problem but they also weigh like 50 lbs less than me and are kinda weak. I guess youre right, I dont want to get too overzealous But i think i like strongman the most. I pretty much idolize Mariusz Pudzianowski and if i could even get close to his stats that would be friggn awesome. Seeing as how there isnt any way i can improve my training at the moment is there any specific diet i can implement to give me as much fuel as possible? currently i just chug down a bunch of protein shakes and eat whatevers in the fridge at home so i guess my diet could be a little better. Any Supplements? currently i use 5gs of CEE after my last weight workout of the day and after my shotput/discus workout. I got like 3 free animal pak cans too but i hate the taste they leave in my mouth. Lately ive really been struggling on the running cause i just came back from having a broken foot so something that might improve my endurance would be great.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Bro at 16 I'd say use as little in the way of supplementation as possible. Just focus on diet. Creatine and a good vitamin/mineral supp should be all you need. Those numbers, BTW, are bad ass. I couldnt even lift like that at 26, let alone 16!! Damn!:D

BV

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
yep their all free weights. good lord if he said i had to use a machine i would straight up quit. Its not like these workouts are a breeze either, though. Last thursday I had to do 4x4 squats at 90 percent with almost no rest in between sets then we had to run out to the track immediately and sprint 400 meters. needless to say i started puking at 300 and got it all over my clothes cause and when i got to the finish i just collapsed. a lot of other kids make it with no problem but they also weigh like 50 lbs less than me and are kinda weak. I guess youre right, I dont want to get too overzealous But i think i like strongman the most. I pretty much idolize Mariusz Pudzianowski and if i could even get close to his stats that would be friggn awesome. Seeing as how there isnt any way i can improve my training at the moment is there any specific diet i can implement to give me as much fuel as possible? currently i just chug down a bunch of protein shakes and eat whatevers in the fridge at home so i guess my diet could be a little better. Any Supplements? currently i use 5gs of CEE after my last weight workout of the day and after my shotput/discus workout. I got like 3 free animal pak cans too but i hate the taste they leave in my mouth. Lately ive really been struggling on the running cause i just came back from having a broken foot so something that might improve my endurance would be great.
I would stay away from most supps. All you really need is a nice protein powder, a multivitamin, and if you want the CEE. But some people cramp of that when doing aroebic activities, so maybe someone else can chime in here about that.
But I think you got a great foundation. And if Strongman stuff is were its at then start looking around for people in your area to train under.

unchained_beast

Awards
I would stay away from most supps. All you really need is a nice protein powder, a multivitamin, and if you want the CEE. But some people cramp of that when doing aroebic activities, so maybe someone else can chime in here about that.
But I think you got a great foundation. And if Strongman stuff is were its at then start looking around for people in your area to train under.
I dont take CEE before any aerobic stuff. I take 5g after my last lifting workout and then i throw shotput and discus then i take another 5g. I tastes like hell though but i guess im getting used to it. Ive been using creatine for 2 yrs. Im not very strict on my diet and my bodyfat reflects that unfortunately. Heres what my schedule looks like:
6am-4eggwhites, 2 whole eggs, 1cup granola, 1 animal pak
train
7:15am- 2 scoops ON whey, 1 cup oats in water
class
11am-train
12:30- sandwich meat wrap, apple
class
2:30pm- train
3:30- 5gs CEE then shotput/discus workout
4:30- 5g CEE
5:00- Either 2 steak filets or 2 chicken breasts, potato or brown rice, broccoli
7:00- 2scoops ON whey
9:00- 11:00 is kinda when i eat whatevers in the fridge which could be anything from cake to grapes or yogurt or whatevers in there.
12:00 sleep

How should i change this up? Ive read that dextrose is good for improving performance and recovery, how much and when would i add that in?

unchained_beast

Awards
nevermind on the dextrose question. I did some searching and i found out that ground up oats works better. but is there any other changes i should make in my diet?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you're 16, eat as much as possible, the amount of natural test running through your system right now is ridiculous. just eat eat lift eat and you will grow like a weed.

unchained_beast

Awards
you're 16, eat as much as possible, the amount of natural test running through your system right now is ridiculous. just eat eat lift eat and you will grow like a weed.
well ok i get that. i was asking if there is any other changes i should make in my diet.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well ok i get that. i was asking if there is any other changes i should make in my diet.
do you track your diet on fitday or something like that? how many grams of protein/fat/carbs are you getting in a day?

and dextrose is good pwo

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
9:00- 11:00 is kinda when i eat whatevers in the fridge which could be anything from cake to grapes or yogurt or whatevers in there

This is were your problem is. Cut that crap out!

nevermind on the dextrose question. I did some searching and i found out that ground up oats works better.
Damn. A 16yo used the search button and took the time to look! Most people just want answers and never use the search button. Good Job!

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good suggestion. And it's free!
definately the best thing around. i keep track of most of my stuff in my head now, but when i get down to the nitty gritty i use it

unchained_beast

Awards

This is were your problem is. Cut that crap out!

Damn. A 16yo used the search button and took the time to look! Most people just want answers and never use the search button. Good Job!
Yea sometimes those last 2-3 hours of the day are difficult to keep my diet in check. Ill have to check out fitday and see what its all about thanks for the advice. And yes i am accustomed to using the search button. Ive been reading the boards for around 2 yrs so i know people can get grouchy if you neglect to search.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
damn, you've got some impressive #'s to be only 16 brutha. strongman may be your route but you'd make a helluva powerlifter. hell, you already have a 1200lbs RAW total. at your age and if you're not fat, just eat everything in sight. but of course, this excludes that 9-11 meal, lol. cake and grapes? negatory. put some more good whole food in that diet for the last meal and you'll be good to go.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see your not sure if you want to do bodybuilding, powerlifting, or strongman. I'd suggest powerlifting. It will give you the size and strength your looking for. If you decide to do bodybuilding later on the transition will be easy. I would of said strongman but It will probably be hard to locate the proper equipment for event specific training.

chevelleman

Awards
If you want something to replace that last meal that you are having from 9-11 then try something like this that will help with your sweettooth and get you some good proetin.

1 box of pudding mix (I use the cheap walmart $.50 box)
3 scoops chocolate protein powder
2 tbsp. peanut butter
2 cups of milk

Use this and you will grow like a weed while eating good tasting food. BTW nice stats bud you keep at it and we will be watching you on tv.

unchained_beast

Awards
thanks for the advice, still have yet to look into the fitday thing but its on the list. today in football we maxed, my numbers i mentioned previously stayed the same but my powerclean went up a shitload today. a while back it was 205 but today i hit 275, which i think is pretty good considering i just came back from a broken foot 2 weeks ago and only did powercleans once during that time. Do you guys think i should post a log in this section? I think it might help me keep myself honest about my diet. hm... i have a track meet tomorrow, throwing shot and disc, wish me luck that i dont get owned too bad because the guys in our disctrict are the best in the state.