flat bench is the worst exercise ever created

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.1%

Beelz,

Along with everyone else, I offer my condolences. But I don't think you should give up benching just yet, because I think you have a lot of potential as a PLer. I know at this stage of the game while you're injured it's tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel, however, with your lifts, it's still there. If anything I think you can learn from this and come back stronger. First, I don't think I would ever bench that heavy (355) for 10 reps. That time under tension for the muscle and tendons is brutal and you really don't need it since you're training for a 1 RM. Second, depending on your relative tricep strength, you may actually want to consider bringing your grip in a little bit in case your pecs are genetically predisposed to tearing. The tris can be an extremely powerful force on the bench and even more important than your pec strength. Third, the lower part of the bench is brutal on the shoulders, and while that currently doesn't sound like a problem spot for you, I think you should incorporate some pre-hab RC and scapular exercises into your routine to prevent future injury. Moreover, these make you a lot stronger at the bottom of your lift.

Regardless of what you choose to do, I wish you the best in recovery.

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I knew I stopped by this site for some reason... most of the guys I work out with don't do raw lifts with more than 355, for 4-5, and thats as high as they go (even with a 640lb bench). My suggestion to you would be to stop doing such damned heavy raw lifts, cram your ass into a fairly snug fury or f6 if your elbows are properly tucked, a karen's xtreme if you wanna get freaky, or a ragex if your form is weaksauce, and work up with that. You could even get a slightly looser "training" shirt, that will lighten the load at the bottom a good amount, prevent you from injuring yourself, and also help teach you proper form.

We have the shirts for a reason home slice
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

for me anyway. another pec injury tonight. with my good pec. i don't understand it at all. there was no warning sign, not even a hint. i had been climbing by 10lbs each week using progressive overload. nothing crazy, was supposed to hit 355 x 10, and at the bottom of 8, i could feel something separate in my upper right pec. i had a good arch, feet tucked, elbows tucked, etc. so ****ing frustrating. this is the 3rd goddamn time that flat bench has screwed me over. it's the only exercise i've ever been injured on. i'm done with it. ain't worth it anymore. if i compete, it'll have to be in deads or squats and that's it. i think some guys just aren't made for flat bench, and i am one of them.
    Ah Beelze, that sucks bro. Ice that baby down and get better soon

Bv
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    I knew I stopped by this site for some reason... most of the guys I work out with don't do raw lifts with more than 355, for 4-5, and thats as high as they go (even with a 640lb bench). My suggestion to you would be to stop doing such damned heavy raw lifts, cram your ass into a fairly snug fury or f6 if your elbows are properly tucked, a karen's xtreme if you wanna get freaky, or a ragex if your form is weaksauce, and work up with that. You could even get a slightly looser "training" shirt, that will lighten the load at the bottom a good amount, prevent you from injuring yourself, and also help teach you proper form.

We have the shirts for a reason home slice
    there's the man i was hoping would say something.
    ok, first off, it's been 24 hours and there's no bruising so it must be just a pull....again. so, nothing too serious but just another notch on the 'oh ****' belt. as a few of you have suggested and with good reason, i will immediately stop going heavier than 315 raw on flat. ex, i have a double rage-x 52 ready to roll but i was just waiting to hit 405 raw for a few before throwing it on. apparently, that was stupid and i'm taking your advice to heart. i had a bencher examine my form and he said it's golden. i must say that i've got that arch and elbows in down to a science, lol. damn near turn it into a decline i'm thinking that double rage-x ain't the best shirt for me right now so i'm gonna hold on to it for later and maybe get a single ply something for the time being until i get used to it and more comfortable with bigger numbers, maybe just a single ply rage (no x). although, i've heard good things about fury and F6 also. which do you recommend for arched benchers (single ply)?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey
    well heres his thread,
    he is a member of W-side and a while back he tore his pec.
    you can read his recovery and rehab.
    http://www.midwestbarbell.com/totale...showtopic=1244

or just email (off his site)or call louie simmons (614) 801-2060 ask him anything. I have a few different times,
    VERY willing to answer any questions or give advice, nice guy
    thanks for that kelsey. lol, i can't imagine calling louie up. "yo, it's beez, wtf is up with my bench?"
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

thanks all for the comments and support, means a lot. although i'm pissed, i already know i'll be back on flat again. when it comes right down to it, i'll never be satisifed unless i'm lifting heavy weight, on any lift. like a moth to a flame, i must return to flat bench
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.26%

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    thanks all for the comments and support, means a lot. although i'm pissed, i already know i'll be back on flat again. when it comes right down to it, i'll never be satisifed unless i'm lifting heavy weight, on any lift. like a moth to a flame, i must return to flat bench
    Yeah, that 145x14 on DB's is pretty ridiculous. I will never outgrow dumbells; but you already have. Unless you just focus on "pump" training

I'm guessing you'll have to get back on the bar. Unless you can track down a gym with some 200+lb. dumbells.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

lol, funny you mention that. talked to the gym owner into getting 155's, 175's, and 205's, should be arriving in 2 weeks. and because a lot of **** talk goes on in the boards, i've got a vid of the 145's on MMI. beez don't lie
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.74%

lol, funny you mention that. talked to the gym owner into getting 155's, 175's, and 205's, should be arriving in 2 weeks. and because a lot of **** talk goes on in the boards, i've got a vid of the 145's on MMI. beez don't lie
    Must be nice. Some of the members at my gym went as far as sending a petition around to get bigger DBs and the owner didn't buy any.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

the owner is a former PL'er (bench only) so he sympathizes. it's not a commercialized gym by any means, i imagine those would be much worse to convince or persuade. it helps having a national competitive bb'er there too, who the gym sponsors. he's talking about getting a monolift in the near future
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.08%

there's the man i was hoping would say something.
    ok, first off, it's been 24 hours and there's no bruising so it must be just a pull....again. so, nothing too serious but just another notch on the 'oh ****' belt. as a few of you have suggested and with good reason, i will immediately stop going heavier than 315 raw on flat. ex, i have a double rage-x 52 ready to roll but i was just waiting to hit 405 raw for a few before throwing it on. apparently, that was stupid and i'm taking your advice to heart. i had a bencher examine my form and he said it's golden. i must say that i've got that arch and elbows in down to a science, lol. damn near turn it into a decline i'm thinking that double rage-x ain't the best shirt for me right now so i'm gonna hold on to it for later and maybe get a single ply something for the time being until i get used to it and more comfortable with bigger numbers, maybe just a single ply rage (no x). although, i've heard good things about fury and F6 also. which do you recommend for arched benchers (single ply)?
    Since you tuck your elbows and have a good arch (supposedly ) I would suggest you get a F6. As for sizing, when I was hossed out, I wore a 56 and I could JUST BARELY get it on myself, but I needed someone to help adjust the seams and what not. Depending on how big your arms and chest are (the arms were the really tight thing for me) you should go probably 54, unless your arms are >20" then you should get a 56.

Heck, I will probably never use my 56 fury again, if you're interested I could cut you a good deal on it man. Otherwise go with www.plgearonline, they're fast and the service is good. Definately go single ply as a snug fitting dual ply F6 or fury can take >600lbs to touch.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

20 1/4" (chest ain't 56 though, more like 53)

i'm interested

just looking for a little help off the bottom (the danger area)
  13. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.73%

Hey when do you guys recommend getting into a benching shirt? (like around what max?)

o and btw whats a monolift?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

before i would have suggested a 405 raw max. but like they said, unless you compete raw, it's a waste of time and effort. now, i'd say 315 raw, then try a shirt. ex is definately more qualified to answer this though.

a monolift is what is used in competition for squats. no walkout is required. you get under the weight, stand up, the hooks move and you squat right where you stand.
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.73%

o yea I have seen those just didn't know the name.... Also if you don't mind me hijacking the thread how about wraps for your knees?
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.08%

20 1/4" (chest ain't 56 though, more like 53)

i'm interested

just looking for a little help off the bottom (the danger area)
    Yeah, the tricky thing about the fury is that unlike most inzer shirts, if you are loose on the bench and your form is bad you will get **** out of it... But if you are tight on the bench and you keep your arch and bring your arms down with elbows in, it rocks. One thing I've noticed about the inzer shirts I've tried is that they start to pull tight at the top of the bench so the weight feels lighter in your hands, whereas the fury feels heavy in your hands and you need to have the strength to stabilize it near *******, but the shirt kicks in like a mofo about halfway down the lift.

Do you still have my email address holmes? we can work something out. You need a wide belt when you use the fury too, because you need to pull the front of the shirt WAY down then cinch it in place in order to get the full effect out of it, if you have a narrow (bb style) belt the shirt tends to slide out. The fury isn't the easiest shirt but I'll be happy to help you squeeze it dry man. Just be thankful you're not trying to learn a Karin's Denim, those things are ridiculously hard to use.
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.08%

Quote Originally Posted by dunimous
    Hey when do you guys recommend getting into a benching shirt? (like around what max?)

o and btw whats a monolift?
    My group has several 600+ benchers, we usually work up to 355 raw for no more than 4 reps (depending on the lifter) then shirt up, and go up to 405 with 4 boards, and increase weight while decreasing the number of boards, until either a 2 board or full range lift, depending on what we're trying to do.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

dunimous......what about wraps? yeah, i use em on my last set of squats.

anyhoo, ex, i haven't even used a shirt yet or put one on for that matter. i was just waiting for the raw strength to peak again, then add it but **** didn't work out. but i definately think starting with a double rage-x is a bad idea. most can't even touch with anything less than 600. would you agree? as for a belt, i have the 13mm lever belt from inzer, and that mofo is tight, have bruises the next day. i've got your email somewhere in my account. incoming
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

friggin 2 and 4 boards, still haven't gotten those yet.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.97%

What is MMI.com
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

edit: removed.
    Last edited by Beelzebub; 02-16-2006 at 12:39 AM.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

ex, did you get that email? machine something or another @hotmail
  23. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.1%

friggin 2 and 4 boards, still haven't gotten those yet.
    I made a 2,3, and 4 board with boards bought from Home Depot. I believe Elite sells a pre-made 2 and 3 board. I'm not a fan of the 4 board (I say this as I'm about to do it tomorrow). I would definitely make a 2 and 3. I esp. love the 3 as it's a nice confidence booster.
  24. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.08%

ex, did you get that email? machine something or another @hotmail
    got and got back. Your belt should work perfectly mang, and the Fury, while tricky, can be mastered without too much trouble (and it's definately worthwhile to do so).
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

sweet. i hit ya back. thanks for the info and great deal brutha.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

Quote Originally Posted by ivydude
    I made a 2,3, and 4 board with boards bought from Home Depot. I believe Elite sells a pre-made 2 and 3 board. I'm not a fan of the 4 board (I say this as I'm about to do it tomorrow). I would definitely make a 2 and 3. I esp. love the 3 as it's a nice confidence booster.
    2 and 3 boards enough, ya think? i'm all new to do using that ****. i'm one of those bb'er turn pl'er guys.
  27. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.1%

2 and 3 boards enough, ya think? i'm all new to do using that ****. i'm one of those bb'er turn pl'er guys.
    4 Board is pretty much ******* range, so if that's a weak point and you need to save some cash you always just do rack *******s in the power rack and save yourself some money.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

good point. once that weight gets past the parallel mark, i'm golden. doesn't sound necessary at the moment. thanks for the info. elite, eh? **** it, i need more chalk anyway.
  29. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%

thanks for that kelsey. lol, i can't imagine calling louie up. "yo, it's beez, wtf is up with my bench?"
    Beez, give louie a call, he is a great guy and will definitely help you out.
  30. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.96%

i'm one of those bb'er turn pl'er guys.
    we call these people pussies
  31. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.83%

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    I like the way you think bro, lol.

(j/k beelz)
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

BURN
  33. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Or: Nate
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

36. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%

counter-attack with a misdirect to an unsuspecting nate burn, i love it
  37. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.96%

burn baby burn! disco inferno!
  38. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.96%

burn baby burn! disco inferno!
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.62%

Beelzebub,

Have you ever looked into Active Release Therapy? I haven't tried it yet myself, but some of my training partners have been swearing by it. I also know another guy who blew out his pec and had it surgically repaired, and he has been going through the ART therapy. When you call and talk to Louie, I think Amy there is certified in it so maybe you can ask about it.
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.5%

Do bench shirts prevent chest injuries? I remember when the only way to competition bench was raw. Then along came the shirts. Many frowned on using a shirt but switched over because their fellow competitors made the switch.

Similar Forum Threads

1. The worst exercise programs ever!
    By mikeg313 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM
  2. Flat bench to the chest or couple inches above chest...
    By bbillcee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
  4. CEX is the worst tasting crap ever !
    By Iron Warrior in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 02:56 PM
  5. Who is the best Quarterback ever?
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 96