Do I have hope to ever be a proffesional power lifter?

blahblah192

Banned
Awards
Ok. I'm 17 years old. Close to 5' 9". My dad and brother grew late so theres still hope for me to grow yet. Here are my lifts:
Squat(just did this today): 345lbs X 5reps
Bench: 255 X 1 (I was having a really bad day and had no energy. On a good day I coulda gotten off 270.
Incline: Dunno
Curl:prolly somewhere round 100lbs.
Deadlift: 315 X 5

I think these stats are pretty good for my age.

sandinsciuz

Awards
Professional? Who knows. But for 17 you have very respectable lifts, which means you have even greater potential to improve. Believe in yourself and keep going.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
WOW you lift alot. VERY nice.

How much do you weigh?

CROWLER

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
as long as you have the heart and drive to, you can definately become a professional pler

anadrol75

Awards
Check out some of the records on USAPL's website. That will give you somthing to go off of as far as records go. A good friend of mine is up and coming in the sport. Research and meeting people is a key component.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
start posting your log, those are damn good numbers for a kid at 17. and to be honest, most powerlifters dont worry about incline and curl, so you dont have to worry about that. :)

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Your lifts look real good but what is your weight? If you want to shoot at becoming competitive, my first advice would be to start competing. Lifting in the gym is not the same as under the spot light. Find some knowledgable lifters who work with PL gear. You can be very competitive with around a X2 bodyweight Bench and X3 DL and Squat, the less you weight that figure goes up and the more you weight down.

If your looking for some inspiration do some research on Anthony Clark when he was your age (not a fair comparison but interesting no the less)

blahblah192

Banned
Awards
I weigh 220. Yea im fat. But I have lost 10lbs. It is a slow process because I want to retain as much muscle as possible. My ideal weight for me would be 180-185. Thanks for all the advice. Sorry about taking so long to post back I kinda forgot bout this thread.

Gettinpumped

Gettinpumped

Awards
  • Established
Keep training bro and start competing at local meets.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those are pretty sweet numbers for a 17 year old, I deadlift almost exactly the same, but granted I only weigh 160

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
check out the guy who won the lightweights at this years wpo finals, he's your weight and deadlifted close to 800lbs

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's sweet...I have one repped 400 before, but I am definitely no PL'er..What was his name?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's sweet...I have one repped 400 before, but I am definitely no PL'er..What was his name?
Oleksandr Kutcher, he weighed in at 165lbs and here were his lifts

in lbs - 826.7/551.2/793.7 totalling 2171.531

in kilos - 375/250/360 totalling 985

for those of you that dont know it goes squat/bench/deadlift. he broke world records this year, one of the most exciting guys to watch lift, especially that last dead.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have a vid link to that?I love watching little guys throw around weight like that..

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you have a vid link to that?I love watching little guys throw around weight like that..
no, sorry man, not of the new ones, but go to irongame.com and under the videos section there is some old ones of him

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright, thanks anyway brotha..I work out with some cat at my gym sometimes who is a PL'er in his junior category. His name is Adam, can't remember his last name but he has been to Canadians before..I have considered training with him soley for PL'ing

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright, thanks anyway brotha..I work out with some cat at my gym sometimes who is a PL'er in his junior category. His name is Adam, can't remember his last name but he has been to Canadians before..I have considered training with him soley for PL'ing
you should, it will be a nice change for the body, you'll get bigger and stronger :D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been thinking about that alot lately, as a really great shock method and put on some sick mass..He does alot of one rep training and pause training, and a whackload of lockout work because he competes.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
keep doing that and start powerlifting, you'll pack on the lbs. a lot of the lower weight class guys in powerlifting could step on a bbing stage and win awards, not all powerlifters are fat, just the ones that dont like to do cardio :D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, that seems to be a major misconception..I think it's only because everyones view is a PL'er has to me a giant beast. But some little guys are pretty damn strong as well..As for me I can put on twenty lbs and still see my six pack, so as long as I shove food in my face it's all good..

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i wish i was like that,

sounds like it's a done deal for you, so start pullin them deads, squattin below parallel and get that arch in your bench, you'll never look back :D

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So, what would be a good base for a PL'ing routine then?..As in how much should I modify my volume, split..I can give you a link to a natural bulking log that I have been doing if you want, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at that and then giving some suggestions that would be great.http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bulking/40775-mulletsoldiers-natural-bulking-log.html
that's a lot of volume right there, email me at [email protected] or aim me at marty22877 i'll send you one that i've used before.

powerlifter6920

Ok. I'm 17 years old. Close to 5' 9". My dad and brother grew late so theres still hope for me to grow yet. Here are my lifts:
Squat(just did this today): 345lbs X 5reps
Bench: 255 X 1 (I was having a really bad day and had no energy. On a good day I coulda gotten off 270.
Incline: Dunno
Curl:prolly somewhere round 100lbs.
Deadlift: 315 X 5

I think these stats are pretty good for my age.

You can be a competitive powerlifter at any age, at any weight. I get more wrapped up in seeing guys get personal records than anything else sometimes in meets, especially if it's their third lift and they got red lighted on their second attempt.

To be a professional powerlifter, you have to have some insane numbers. And it's unfortunate that in todays world there is very little cash money rewards for world class powerlifters compared to almost all other sports.

You being so young, the sky is the limit. Train, eat, and sleep your ass off. Try to attain your goal. If you never try you will never know.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You can be a competitive powerlifter at any age, at any weight. I get more wrapped up in seeing guys get personal records than anything else sometimes in meets, especially if it's their third lift and they got red lighted on their second attempt.

To be a professional powerlifter, you have to have some insane numbers. And it's unfortunate that in todays world there is very little cash money rewards for world class powerlifters compared to almost all other sports.

You being so young, the sky is the limit. Train, eat, and sleep your ass off. Try to attain your goal. If you never try you will never know.
so true