Advice on sleds?

Jameson

Awards
Does anyone have any advice on sleds? Best place to buy one? Best quality? I've found a few places that sell them but I'd like to know if anyone has any particular recommendations. Also...any ideas for ways to make your own? Not to mention any routines for using it...thanks.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
get a picture and go to a welding shop, should only be like $50 or so, i was too lazy and bought mine from newyorkbarbells.com

Jameson

Awards
thanks. would you recommend the nybarbell sled? It's a little more affordable than some others I've seen.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea, that's the one i use, it's a ski design though, i didnt know the difference till i got it, but it comes with cables and chains, i love it

Jameson

Awards
I went ahead and ordered one from NYBB. Should be here Thursday. Thanks for the recommendation.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
no problem, have fun with it, and where are you from? because i wish i could pull my sled when i get home at night, but too dark and too cold. dont want a car to hit me

Jameson

Awards
I'm in Georgia (from Philly originally though). It doesn't get too cold down here, but it rains a lot--might have to pull the sled through the mud a bit. I've been trying to find advice on routines for the sled and I'm excited to try it out.

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
copied article....

Here is an article by IA on sled training....

Here is a solid way to break into sled pulling without impacting recovery. Yes, you can just start out dragging 200 lbs for 15 minutes a couple times a week, but expect to grossly overtrain and watch your lifts go down. If you implement a schedule much like the one outlined here you will get into shape pretty fast, and most importantly, your weight training sessions will not be effected.

If you are a 150-300 lb squatter:

Two days a week, your choice of days. But try to at least pull the day AFTER you do squats.

Use 50 lbs on the sled, assuming a sled weight of 40-45 lbs for all days

Week one-two for 5 minutes with only 1-2 very SHORT breathers.

Week 3 seven and a half minutes.

Weeks 4-5 ten minutes.

Week 6, 12.5 minutes.

Weeks 7-8, 15 minutes.

Weeks 9-10 add 20 lbs.

Weeks 11-12, either go up in frequency, or up in minutes. This means either go to 20 minute sessions, or add a day. At this point, you may also add a heavy day. That is defined as pulling a weight between 150-350 lbs for four 50 yard passes.

If you are a 300-600 lb squatter:

Two days a week, your choice of days. But try to at least pull the day AFTER you do squats.

Use 70 lbs on the sled, assuming a sled weight of 40-45 lbs for all days

Weeks 4-5 ten minutes.

Week 6, 12.5 minutes.

Weeks 7-8, 15 minutes.

Weeks 9-10 add 20 lbs.

Weeks 11-12, either go up in frequency, or up in minutes. This means either go to 20 minute sessions, or add a day. At this point, you may also add a heavy day. That is defined as pulling a weight between 150-350 lbs for four 50 yard passes.

If you are a 600-900 lb squatter:

Use 90 lbs on the sled, assuming a sled weight of 40-45 lbs for all days

Weeks 4-5 ten minutes.

Week 6, 12.5 minutes.

Weeks 7-8, 15 minutes.

Weeks 9-10 add 20 lbs.

Iron Addict

Jameson

Awards
hey thanks for posting that. looks like a good routine for getting started.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that's how i started, and belive me, that first 5 min will be a lot tougher than you thought