Deadlift grip? Need some help.

blahblah192

Banned
Awards
I deadlift sets of 5 at 315. I have no problem doing the weight. The only thats holding me back is my grip. Half the time the weight is kinda dangling in my fingers and that hurts a lot. Is there any exercises I can do to improve my grip? Thanks.

blah

MadMas

Work Horse
Awards
Back and Trap work will strengthen your grip. Forearm work will help too. Try chalk, thats what i use.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I deadlift sets of 5 at 315. I have no problem doing the weight. The only thats holding me back is my grip. Half the time the weight is kinda dangling in my fingers and that hurts a lot. Is there any exercises I can do to improve my grip? Thanks.

blah
Static hangs will also strengthen your grip. Grip a chinup bar, and hang to 60 seconds at a time... add weight as needed.

Adams

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The more you train heavy deads the stronger your grip will become. You may want to utilize a hook grip by hooking your thimb under the bar and wrapping over it with your fingers.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
My dead lift skyrocketed but my grip didn't keep up so I started using straps.....problem was solved...so i thought.
I could do a lot more weight but I never trained without straps after starting. So now im paying the price getting my grip back up to speed.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
I use captain of crush grippers and rack deads with a thicker bar (or towels wrapped around a regular one) and a 5 second hold at the top.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea i stopped using my straps a long time ago and havent looked back, the only thing i use them for is bent over rows